Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

need recommended insurance carrier for my 2007 vlx

bu2007vlx

Anyone have any opinion about boat insurance. I'm taking my new 2007 VLX off homeowners and getting it's own policy. West marine insurance and progressive are the carriers I've been looking at. The dealer pushes West Marine but progressive is so much lower premium with the same coverage. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• Arkid

• BlastRlxi

• CLOUT1

Anyone have any opinion about boat insurance. I'm taking my new 2007 VLX off homeowners and getting it's own policy. West marine insurance and progressive are the carriers I've been looking at. The dealer pushes West Marine but progressive is so much lower premium with the same coverage. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have mine through skisafe and have been very happy. Skisafe

Sorry people, I just did a search and found some info on the topic. Still would apprciate any advice. :salute:

not sure if price matters but i am paying around $275/year for my 2006 Response LX. i would not hesitate to go to Progressive. I write for Progressive's competition and have had positive business related experience with them as well as positive personal claims experience(rear ended me). i would recommend adding uninsured and underinsured motorist if it is available. Some companies offer a non depreciating claim settlelment endorsement if available. Ours is 10% extra. We do not write in CA currently.

We have our boat and jetskis through Progressive. They have been great. We had two jetskis totaled (by other people) and they were great to work with. And they haven't raised our premimuns.

I have Progressive and they have been great. Had a $4000 claim after the first 4 months of the policy and they fixed me right up. Easy to deal with and premiums did not go up. Plus they allow for month to month payment - important for me cuz I have no money.

We use USAA...they are one of the best Insurance companies to do business with. Premiums being about the same...I would suggest calling them up and spending 5 minutes on the phone with them, if you like a particular one, run with it!!!

If you are a Club Malibu Member, you can get a 10% discount on your boat insurance.....it saved us alot of $! Thumbup.gif Ours is with Boaters, too.

We use USAA...they are one of the best Insurance companies to do business with. Premiums being about the same...I would suggest calling them up and spending 5 minutes on the phone with them, if you like a particular one, run with it!!!

We have all of our insurance through USAA as well, and they are partnered with Progressive for boat insurance. The insurance on my 03 SN 206 is through USAA/Progressive and runs about $300 a year. And if the boat gets totaled, it is insured for purchase price, not depreciation value, even if it gets totaled several years down the road. I wouldn't hestitate to use Progressive.

http://www.fishingworld.com/BoatIns/companyinfo.php

I have had a theft claim (stereo equip) and some bozo side swiped my Bu on the freeway. They were great during the caim process both times. THey didn't short cut me on the theft and they helped make sure everything went right with the bozo's insurance company.

I pay $607.00/yr for coverage.

Thank you, for all the fresh imput. Did go with Progressive and I'm very happy. They were easy to deal with and answered all my question to my satisfaction.

So if we're a member here we save 10% with Boater's insurance? Let me know cuz I'm going to be buyin in the next week. I'll use the extra dinero to become a supporter here!

Shawn

Edited by Helinut
So if we're a member here we save 10% with Boater's insurance? Let me know cuz I'm going to be buyin in the next week. I'll use the extra dinero to become a supporter here!

Shawn

NO that's not the Club he was talking about.

Club Malibu link

It's a membership deal through Malibu Boats. You get 10% off the insurance. I get the 10% off anyway so they don't honor that part of the package. You just get a shirt or something else every year plus I think you get VIP enrty at Malibu events BICBW. I just like the renew swag.

I assume your dealer is Ultimate Watersports????

The deal I got at WestMar was better than I found elsewhere (in '04). With Ultimate they have a rider with WestMar that they up the personal effects and one other coverage (can't remember which) to a higher level at no extra cost.

Anoher good one to check out is Twin Rivers Marine Ins. www.boatinsuranceonly.com 1800-259-5701. They are in Antioch. I've spoken to Gary several times and he explained a lot about marine ins vs. a marine policy with a "regular" carrier.

One think to look for is salvage and recovery. What do you think it would cost to (god forbid...) pump out your boat, float it on air bags, and get it to a launch ramp? (this practice is becoming more common with stricter pollution laws...) A whole lot if your policy did not cover it.

Definitely make sure your boat is on a different policy and with a different company than your auto/home insurance. \

I had a whole list of stuff that is unique to a "true marine" policy.

Good luck!

Pat

I've had State Farm, SkiSafe, and now have Boaters Insurance Agency. BIA blows them both away, agreed replacement value, salvage, cleanup, tow, 300K liabilities, and paying $454 a year with $250 deductable.

Added a policy for my '07 VLX with Pemco, where I also have car and homeowners. Stated value, $1000 deduct I am paying $375 per year AND then got additonal discounts on all my cars as well.

OK I'm sick. Up in the Great White North it costs $675 with $500 deduct for my boat and trailer, $3,000 max personal effects - $40,000 total value. And I'm sure thats cheap for these parts. Almost 3X your costs for the same thing. I think we are getting shafted.

B reak

O ut

A nother

T housand

USAA is not doing boats any longer. They run them all through Progressive now. That being said, I am paying $650 for an 2007 Response LXI. Does that seem high?

I just got my state farm bill of 420 for the year but I noticed some issues...mainly 25000 replacement value. I know I have an entry level boat but 25K isn't going to cut it. I guess I will call boaters soon.

Go with AAA!

$500,000 Liability coverage.

$500,000 Uninsured boaters coverage.

These are both medical incase of serious injury, so I don't lose my house!

$30,000 Watercarft Physical damage.

$1500 Personal effects.

$1500 Electronic Equipment.

$250 Deductable.

$528 Premium per year.

Go with AAA!

$500,000 Liability coverage.

$500,000 Uninsured boaters coverage.

These are both medical incase of serious injury, so I don't lose my house!

$30,000 Watercarft Physical damage.

$1500 Personal effects.

$1500 Electronic Equipment.

$250 Deductable.

$528 Premium per year.

You're coverages don't even compete with what some of us have. You may want to discuss your policy with your carrier, you may be getting shafted here. From the numbers you posted it looks like you have 30K coverage on your boat. $1500 for personal effects, that will cover my wakeboards and surfboard, $1500 for electronic equipment ok that will cover my subs. I'd call around if I were you. Call Boaters Insurance Agency, have your policy with you and talk it over with them. You'll be surprised.

USAA is not doing boats any longer. They run them all through Progressive now. That being said, I am paying $650 for an 2007 Response LXI. Does that seem high?

Um heck yes. Unless you have a driving record 3 pages long you're paying way to much.