Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A plus for tandem axle trailers

oldfooter

This weekend I was pulling my boat and tandem axle trailer to the lake about an hour and a half out of Houston. I noticed a trucker pulled up along side of me waving his arms frantically before he exited off on another road. My wife and I thought perhaps he was telling me to be aware of a radar speed trap up ahead, so we slowed down. I usually don't trailer with a full tank of gas in the boat and waited until getting just about to the lake before stopping and getting gas. When pumping the gas I noticed an unusually smell of burning rubber. I went to the other side of the boat and noticed that I had NO tire left on one of the rims....only about two inches of sidewall on either side of the rim. I then knew what the trucker was trying to tell me. I never even noticed a change in the towing even though I was then towing with only three tires in service. I was simply lucky nothing happened. I have learned that if someone pulls up along side and makes any kind of motion.....stop and check it out. Thank God I have a tandom axle trailer. I was carrying a four way lug wrench, a shop floor jack that was capable of lifting a 23 footer (these things are heavy!!!), and the right size socket for getting the lugs off the spare tire.....can't get the four way under the boat to remove them. My wife thinks I am anal for carrying the garage inventory with me, but was very grateful this time. I was back on the road in 20 minutes and able to enjoy the lake for the rest of the day. I could have used a portable shower.....Texas in June is nasty hot and humid.

Learn from my lesson....1) stop and check things out when people pull up along side and act wierd, 2) carry a four way lug wrench, 3) carry a good jack, 4) carry a ratchet and socket to remove spare tire lugs,....perhaps a stick of deoderant for when you've got the tire changed! ha!!!

I've got a tandem and would never have anything else for any boat or load over 1000kg. I'm surprised so many USA based boats are on single axles trailers as tandem is very very common here. They tow so much better, particularly if theres a cross wind. They are a pain in the a$$ though if need to turn one by hand !

I've got a tandem and would never have anything else for any boat or load over 1000kg. I'm surprised so many USA based boats are on single axles trailers as tandem is very very common here. They tow so much better, particularly if theres a cross wind. They are a pain in the a$$ though if need to turn one by hand !

I'm like you...nothing but tandem axle trailers......!!! manually turning or manuevering is the only drawback I have found yet.

Wow, glad there was a happy ending. Was the rim damaged or is it still serviceable? FWIW, I've used rocks to drive one of the tires up on if I need to pull one off & that works well if you don't have a jack handy.

The rim was okay...no damage at all. I baby my trailer as much as I do my BU!!! I appreciate the rock trick, but not sure I could bring my self to doing it....thus my wife's comments about me being anal and bringing the garage inventory! She may back off a bit now after this weekend's problem.

Wow, glad there was a happy ending. Was the rim damaged or is it still serviceable? FWIW, I've used rocks to drive one of the tires up on if I need to pull one off & that works well if you don't have a jack handy.

The rim was okay...no damage at all. I baby my trailer as much as I do my BU!!! I appreciate the rock trick, but not sure I could bring my self to doing it....thus my wife's comments about me being anal and bringing the garage inventory! She may back off a bit now after this weekend's problem.

Yeah, the rock trick is a bit ghetto, but sometimes you've gotta do whatcha gotta do. :lol: And it does work, so it's a good thing to file away just in case.

My dealer tried to talk me out of a T/A trailer, then the 4 wheel disc brakes. I stood firm however, knowing from the experiences of my family towing long distances' since 1963, myself 1973. I also carry a spare set of bearings with races and a block of hardwood so the jack won't scratch the trailer.

That's exactly why I have a tandem. Long ago I was trailering a boat to Florida over xmas break, middle of the nite, Macon Georgia. Felt a little tug, all I could see in the mirror were sparks from the hub and axle grinding the interstate pavement when the bearings burnt out and the wheel fell off. Should have had a tandem then. Lucky the outboard was tilted up, and for good reason.

Rock under the good wheel? A few scrap 2X6's or 2X8's to make a ramp would be a lot easier on your nerves if you can find them.

Good point on the lug wrench tho, those trailer lugs are seldom the same size as on the tow rig.

Yeah, the rock trick is a bit ghetto, but sometimes you've gotta do whatcha gotta do. :lol: And it does work, so it's a good thing to file away just in case.

I'm Ghetto, I carry a large wedge of wood, sometimes its a problem to get a jack under the trailer. Biggrin.gif

I'm with you on the tandem axle trailers. I had a buddy with a heavy fishing boat on a single axle trailer and while coming home from the lake he noticed his boat tire pass him as he was pulled to a hard stop by the trailer. Apparently his baring just seized up and snapped the wheel off the trailer. He had to put it in 4 low and still had a hard time moving it off the road with his diesel truck. After that I will only own tandem axle trailers.

Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks I will keep it in mind....and hope I don't have to use it...but one never knows!!!!!

My dealer tried to talk me out of a T/A trailer, then the 4 wheel disc brakes. I stood firm however, knowing from the experiences of my family towing long distances' since 1963, myself 1973. I also carry a spare set of bearings with races and a block of hardwood so the jack won't scratch the trailer.

I like the block of wood! Will definitely rember that one as well! Thanks....

Trailer Aid link here. or Google Trailer Aid.

I have seen several variations on these, even some aluminum ones. Cheaper than a jack to.

Hadn't seen these before....looks like a good substitute for the rock idea. Thanks....

Just curious, you couldn't see a missing tire in your side mirrors? Lesson 5. Scan your mirrors more frequently.

I do look at my mirrors constantly. But this was the right rear tire and no I definitely couldn't see that a tire was missing through the passenger side mirror. I couldn't even tell a difference in the handling characteristics. I guess this would be a testament to dorsey trailers who manufactured the trailer. The wheels must be placed in the perfect spot for the weight distribution and balance of the boat. I was very pleased with the outcome.

By the way I must have ran over something as I have now noticed a cut in the sidewall of the front tire as well. With the price of the BU I am replacing both of these tires....not taking a chance!

I’ve always carried a floor jack, 4-star wrench and a piece of wood when I’m pulling a trailer of any kind. Never had to use it but I’m sure my day will come and I’ll be glad that I do. These jacks have been in boating mags for years but just never thought they'd be that steady nor work on uneven ground.

Trailer Jack

I’ve always carried a floor jack, 4-star wrench and a piece of wood when I’m pulling a trailer of any kind. Never had to use it but I’m sure my day will come and I’ll be glad that I do. These jacks have been in boating mags for years but just never thought they'd be that steady nor work on uneven ground.

Trailer Jack

Does anyone have experience with that type of jack?

I have often thought of getting one and want to know if it is money well, or wrongly, spent.

Had a blow out last year on my single axle trailer and it was a pure pain to get the spare on. I had the 4-way wrench and chunks of wood, but at the last minute I removed my floor jack from the truck for who knows what reason and that is the one thing I really needed. Using the toungue jack as well as the truck's bottle jack almost worked, but ended up having to dig out the ground beneath the wheel to get the spare on. This year I bring it all and maybe one of those eliptical things as well.

Anybody tried putting Slime in their tires? I'd try it but I'm worried about what happens when the trailer sits for 6 months over the winter. Might throw everything out of balance.

I was starting to think I was nuts for carrying half my garage and the tools with me but this makes me feel better for it.

Thanks.

On your statement of geting two new tires. First, keep that cut one for a spare if you don't already have a spare. Second, it would probably be a good idea to have one new and one used on each side.

Not surprised you didn't see or feel it, especially with the rear one going out.