Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Error codes and OBDII

I have been getting warning bells at low rpms, with no indication of possible issues on my instrument cluster - I have checked what I think are all the obvious culprits - fluid levels, changed impeller (possible overheating at low rpm), fuses, quick connects, fuel filter - etc,etc - I have not been able to locate the issue, and am now receiving warning bells at various, rpms, idle, 1200 and 3000 - Finally, while at the lake trying to test/figure it out, the engine bell sounded at low (no wake) speed and the engine shut off, not to re-start.

The next phase of 'checking' revealed that there is no power getting to the fuel pump - my assumption because the PCM cut power to stop the engine because of the other issues/warning bells -

I have two questions -

1. Is there an OBD II port (that I have not been able to find) that I can access and get error codes?? will a standard OBDII code reader work?

2. Any ideas that anyone has? This is my first Malibu (03 vlx) - I have owned i/o Mercruiser prior :(

I have been to the dealer once, at some expense, and would like to be able to diagnose (and resolve) my own issues in the future -

Thanks!!

There is an "OBD" connector. It's usually on the driver's side of the engine and about 2/3 of the way forward on the engine. Sometimes attached to a wire harness. Sometimes they hide it at the factory under a cover. It looks like a harness that has a big rectangular plug on the end that isn't plugged into anything and has a water proof cover on it instead. Unfortunately, to read codes you might need one of these...

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RIN94008

I don't know if a standard automotive code reader would work. (I should try my automotive code reader on my boat)

• 3 years later...

There is an "OBD" connector. It's usually on the driver's side of the engine and about 2/3 of the way forward on the engine. Sometimes attached to a wire harness. Sometimes they hide it at the factory under a cover. It looks like a harness that has a big rectangular plug on the end that isn't plugged into anything and has a water proof cover on it instead. Unfortunately, to read codes you might need one of these...

I don't know if a standard automotive code reader would work. (I should try my automotive code reader on my boat)

would a 1998 sunsetter have obdii too?

My hunch is no, but haven't tried it myself.

thanks pistol pete! i wish i saw that when i first got my boat. it's nice to be spoon fed the locations of a the different parts of the engine.

it is an obdii and not obdi right? i am pretty sure it was mandatory fron 96 on to have obd-ii in cars. im not sure about boats though.

Glad you liked my one-take-wonder.

Yes, in the auto world, OBD II was mandated with production yr. 96 cars.

As for these MEFI systems, I'm not sure. I have a code reader so, I just plug it in.

Glad you liked my one-take-wonder.

Yes, in the auto world, OBD II was mandated with production yr. 96 cars.

As for these MEFI systems, I'm not sure. I have a code reader so, I just plug it in.

i guess there is only one way to find out then. I don't really need it for diagnostics primarily, I'm more or less looking into reading the rpm and other gauge readouts to integrate into a system i'm working on. I know i can get that from obd-ii. at the very least if i could get a signal telling me when the engine has cranked over, i'd be happy.

Edited by scott_fx

I'm no genius but, I think it would be easier to get RPM and gauge readings from the gauges themselves. :dontknow:

if it were obd-ii it would be a matter of buying an inexpensive scan tool and letting the pre existing software to read and display the data. if i pull it from the gauges themselves id need a device that could analyze the signal and then need some custom code to convert it to something that the computer can display.... for each gauge.

obd-ii is far more simple (i did this in my last car. took about 10 minutes to set up after i plugged in the scantool)

here is a tool similar to what i had used:

http://store.mp3car.com/OBDLink_Multiprotocol_OBD_II_by_ScanTool_p/com-100.htm

i contacted indmar directly. here is what they had to say in reference to using an obd-ii scantool:

That is not going to work. The marine systemis not OBD II compliant. We use a computer based system made by a company called Rinda Technologies called Diacom. http://www.rinda.com/marine/diacommarine.htm

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Marine Engines

Power to the Sport

Edited by scott_fx

i contacted indmar directly. here is what they had to say in reference to using an obd-ii scantool:

I'm not surprised by that. The whole reason OBDII came about and was gov. mandated was because Ford didn't want to give anyone access to their diagnostic system. The marine market is still in it's infancy as for on-board diagnostics.

yeah, doesn't surprise me at all. i was actually shocked that the engines had a diagnostics port at all :)

the primary reason why i wanted it; yes having all the gauges displayed on a screen would be great, but i wanted to monitor the rpm signal to tell the computer when the engine had started.

From what I've been told my mechanic the OBD tools will not work on the MEFI control units. First you'll have to turn over the EFI control and see what model number you have. Then go to this web site "http://mefituning.com/mefi-ecu-table" to determine what MEFI control you have. Then one of the few companies that makes marine code readers is Rinda "http://www.rinda.com/" . The laptop computer program is more expensive but performs much more, but if code reading and resetting is all you want they make a couple of hand held units.