Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom Tie-downs

To Tie or not to Tie  

360 members have voted

1. 1. What is your tie-down theory?

• "I Would never travel without them"
    • "I use them, but I don't think they are needed"
    • "Tie-downs are not needed"

...... boat shifted 1-1/2” on trailer.

You poor thing. That must have been so traumatic for you. :Doh:

So it never occurred to you that if the transom straps had not been there to begin with, maybe the boat could have moved even more & sustained damage?

Let us know where your driving so we can avoid the area altogether.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• Addictedto6

• Bobby Light

• srock

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't think it would have mattered in this case but I guess it did. No straps here, I was told the boat was still sitting on its side on the pavement above. Was moved from seen prior to lifting truck and trailer.

post-9746-1250190877_thumb.jpg

post-9746-1250191036_thumb.jpg

post-9746-1250191111_thumb.jpg

Edited by jojano

When you were writing this did the thought that maybe the straps probably stopped it from sliding more than 1-1/2" on the trailer ever cross your mind? Crazy.gif

Just like tire tethers on race cars. Yes, sometimes they break, but the dissipate the energy so they don't move very far.

trailer-accident.jpg

Notice the transom Staps.. Looks like they held.

If the stuctural support member for the winch which is made of steel fails why do you think a 2" piece of nylon wouldn't fail. Is this some lame attempt at saying transom tiedown straps are worthless? Maybe you're one of those genius boat dealers that tells their customers that they don't need tie downs. Brilliant. :Doh:

martinarcher
trailer-accident.jpg

If the stuctural support member for the winch which is made of steel fails why do you think a 2" piece of nylon wouldn't fail. Is this some lame attempt at saying transom tiedown straps are worthless? Maybe you're one of those genius boat dealers that tells their customers that they don't need tie downs. Brilliant. :Doh:

Plus1.gif If the straps were't there, the boat would probably ended up on the front of the tow rig. Towing without them is retarded.

trailer-accident.jpg

Plus1.gif If the straps were't there, the boat would probably ended up on the front of the tow rig. Towing without them is retarded.

For some people physics is inherently difficult to understand, they just don't grasp the relationship between mass, velocity and motion. Unfortunately some of them also tow boats, and throw unsecured crap in the back of their pickups and on.

This one is a no brainer. Use the transom tie=downs. Why not? Even if they don't work, it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling thinking they are.

When I got my first Malibu 10 years ago, I noticed the tie downs were damaging the gel coat, couple of water noodles later no more problem.

Kind of the belt with suspenders theory.

Follow someone on a bumpy road without tiedowns and you may notice the boat leaving the trailer. I know my sunsetter's a** end moves on the trailer. I'll leave them off if going to a couple local ramps two miles away. The roads are 30 MPH but the boat still moves on a couple areas that are not quite bumpy but "rampy" type intersections.