Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom Tie-downs

To Tie or not to Tie  

360 members have voted

1. 1. What is your tie-down theory?

• "I Would never travel without them"
    • "I use them, but I don't think they are needed"
    • "Tie-downs are not needed"

Hi everyone, great forums here just found them tonight after getting my new 'BU.

I picked up our new 23 LSV, and I asked the dealer "Where are the tie-down straps on the transom?" They told me that these boats are heavy and they are not needed. "These boats never move or budge on the trailer"

I was always taught to make sure you load is secured. This included tight transom straps.

So, Is my salesman full of it or are they not needed?

Seems like such a silly question, but maybe I am just out of touch with new boats. (I didn't think that physics changed much though!

Thanks!

Brian

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• Addictedto6

• Bobby Light

• srock

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Throwpc.gif ugh yet another transom tie down thread....just use em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: And Guns.gif your dealer for that line of crap and not including them with your boat.

Edited by Addictedto6

Brain Welcome.gif

See if the dealer will just give you a set. The cost is not that much and is just one more safety. I have seen a boat pop up when going over RR tracks once. Crazy.gif

There was a legal case last year in my area. Teenage driver, over the limit approached a T shaped junction (coming from from a local road onto a light highway). Said driver fails to stop at stop sign of local road and T bones a Yukon towing a 23' Mariah at dusk. The Mariah was being towed a short distance, did not have any tie downs nor working trailer lights and was rocked off the trailer into the ditch. Aside: the Mariah is a heavy boat and ironically had just been picked up after having fiberglass work done on the hull. The Yukon driver was cited for unsafe towing (also didn't have proper insurance ), and faced legal action by the drunk driver's family claiming that it was his fault because there was 'no way to see the boat' and hence the collision. It ended up being a very, very messy case, despite the teen being implicated in drunk driving. Thankfully both parties were not seriously injured.

Bottom line: 1) Use transom straps! (part of the reason why the Yukon driver was taken to court -> unsafe) 2) Make sure your trailer lights work 3) INSURANCE!!!! 4) Please please please don't drink and drive. Even a little bit of alcohol, although may not affect your coordination [cerebellum] first, will affect the rods in your eyes responsible for night vision!!!

Since your dealer told you a really stupid and idiotic thing, you should insist that not only does he provide you a free set, that they must be the bolt on ratcheting type.

Hey Brian welcome to the site and Congrats on the new boat...this has been a recent debate and most of us as you can see say tie it down...30 seconds to help protect $50K is worth it!!!

Welcome Brain, I mean Brian. :)

Ya, your sales guy's an idgit. Get some tie downs. Your boat has the hooks and I'm willing to bet big money your trailer has the hooks as well. Tell your dealer he better get you some.

Welcome Brian. Congrats on the new boat. My own $.02, I fail to see a downside to using them :unsure: and if you bought the boat and trailer from him, your dealer should provide them. If he/she is unwilling, worth the extra couple $'s.

Its the law in some states. And ya the boat may be heavy and not move around on the trailer if all is going well. Just make an emergency move or stop hit somthing and you will be in serious trouble.

Use ti downs all the time. And I am not your DAD.... Thumbup.gif

Since your dealer told you a really stupid and idiotic thing, you should insist that not only does he provide you a free set, that they must be the bolt on ratcheting type.

Agree. That or have the company sign a paper that stated that you don't need to use tie down, that way if some thing happens you can pass the $ onto them.

You just never know who is going to try and take over the world next. Dontknow.gif

Ultimately it’s the owner’s responsibility, granted the dealer made an unwise suggestion but anyone purchased a car and the car dealer stated that there isn't a need to wear seatbelts?

Thank you. Everyone's opinion confirmed that I am not crazy Clap.gif

I have decided to purchase the BoatBuckles I have seen that some people on here like them. They sure look easy enough.

Thanks for the great forums here. Unfortunately I stayed up last night til 2AM reading them and didn't get enough sleep!

Ultimately it’s the owner’s responsibility, granted the dealer made an unwise suggestion but anyone purchased a car and the car dealer stated that there isn't a need to wear seatbelts?

No.

That would be stupid.

Just like a dealer telling you that tie downs are not needed.

See a pattern here?

I'm a firm believer in the tie downs. Two years ago witnessed first hand a guy lose his load after hitting a major bump in the road. It wasn' t a malibu but, felt bad for the guy and his family.

I use them, but I always have this thought in the back of my mind while I am putting them on.... if I am ever in a situation where I need these to keep my boat on the trailer, I am screwed anyway.

When I had my supra, I got some good trailer bounce once on the freeway at an overpass transition that wasn't very smooth, I was more than happy to have the tiedowns at that point. I'm certain the boat would have come up off the trailer which is not an additional variable I would have wanted to deal with at that point.

I use them, but I always have this thought in the back of my mind while I am putting them on.... if I am ever in a situation where I need these to keep my boat on the trailer, I am screwed anyway.

Perhaps but I bet it'll help reduce the potential damage it could produce by not being strapped down, futhermore you could be held accountable and liable for aiding in an accident.

Hi everyone, great forums here just found them tonight after getting my new 'BU.

I picked up our new 23 LSV, and I asked the dealer "Where are the tie-down straps on the transom?" They told me that these boats are heavy and they are not needed. "These boats never move or budge on the trailer"

I was always taught to make sure you load is secured. This included tight transom straps.

So, Is my salesman full of it or are they not needed?

Seems like such a silly question, but maybe I am just out of touch with new boats. (I didn't think that physics changed much though!

Thanks!

Brian

Your salesman is full of it and a total retard for telling you that, you will be in that category to if you tow without them. Welcome to the site.

I always use them. Always. Always. Your Dealer is either nuts or cheap. Or both. Whether he asks you to pay or not, please just get them.

Also, you may want to consider an additional Tie DOWN strap at the front bow eye. Yes, I know you've got the bow tucked into its little V-shaped cradle..... but a good wallop at the front (depending on the winch/rope/V-birth geometry) can have your hull bounce around and get some nasty gouges. A strap that pulls the hull DOWN would keep the bow tucked inside the V-shape roller at the front.

Also, you may want to consider an additional Tie DOWN strap at the front bow eye. Yes, I know you've got the bow tucked into its little V-shaped cradle..... but a good wallop at the front (depending on the winch/rope/V-birth geometry) can have your hull bounce around and get some nasty gouges. A strap that pulls the hull DOWN would keep the bow tucked inside the V-shape roller at the front.

I agree...plus I've had one winch strap break (due to dealer install problems), so I always use a front tie down as well.