Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom Tie-downs

To Tie or not to Tie  

360 members have voted

1. 1. What is your tie-down theory?

• "I Would never travel without them"
    • "I use them, but I don't think they are needed"
    • "Tie-downs are not needed"

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• Addictedto6

• Bobby Light

• srock

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought I would add one more bit of anecdotal evidence- boat upside down on the shoulder of I-90 next to an empty trailer just after some frost-heave like whoops in the freeway :Doh: (I think they were more like bog-dips than frost heaves, but you get the picture...). No, it was not an inboard, I think an old style tri-hull. This was in the previous century.

Edited by TheBlackPearl
  • 5 months later...

For those of you who are towing on a single axle trailer, and not using tie downs. I look forward to your posts about how you got a blowout on the motorway, causing the trailer to jump and your boat to land crooked or off the trailer.

I'm a firm believer in the tie downs. Two years ago witnessed first hand a guy lose his load after hitting a major bump in the road. It wasn' t a malibu but, felt bad for the guy and his family.

I have a sick mind Dontknow.gif

anyways, I've never seen the need but there's alot of downfalls (legal, assets) avoided, so use them

• 1 month later...

I use 'em every single time. Get the ratcheting ones, they are handy, easy and you never leave them anywhere........and people who have never seen them are always impressed :)........You should ask your dealer why the Malibu factory installs "those tie down hooky thingies" then!?!?!?! **it's very important you say it just like that, too! :)

2549122182_c55a48a102.jpg

2549122218_bd0e9a7d28.jpg

Lesson #1... put on tie downs... Lesson #2... do not drive into poles.

Seriously, I lost a wheel on a single axle trailer at 65MPH and if not for the ties downs I might have damaged my boat... if not lost it.

Edited by 1FootDan
Hi everyone, great forums here just found them tonight after getting my new 'BU.

I picked up our new 23 LSV, and I asked the dealer "Where are the tie-down straps on the transom?" They told me that these boats are heavy and they are not needed. "These boats never move or budge on the trailer"

I was always taught to make sure you load is secured. This included tight transom straps.

So, Is my salesman full of it or are they not needed?

Seems like such a silly question, but maybe I am just out of touch with new boats. (I didn't think that physics changed much though!

Thanks!

Brian

Been tying down boats all my life and wont travel without them, My boat (pruchased used) was delivered without tiedowns as well. Picked up a set at the local marine place for $30.00. Well worth the effort and cost to ensure your investment is protected both from damage from bouncing and from the leagle department of your insurance company. I am sure thay would love to find a way not to payout on a claim.

Small price to pay for piece of mind. If you go over a bump without them the trailer will "buck" your boat of a couple of inches at the stern. It will slam down pretty hard back onto the trailer. Sooner or later you will damage your boat. I have my winch line, safety chain, and a ratchet strap on the bow eye off my boat as well.

I have see enough pictures of boats off of their trailers or on the roofs of pickup trucks to convince me to try and make the boat and trailer one solid piece.

Always tie downs on the transom. Always a safety strap on the front, in case the winch / strap fails.

Too many things can go wrong, causing someone to get hurt.

These two steps are cheap insurance and add to peace of mind.

There are enough other things to worry about when pulling 4000 pounds down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe we are actually discussing this topic or that there are 31 votes for not using the tie downs. I watched a guy wrap his boat ( 24' Monterey) and trailer around a telephone pole. He made his turn too sharp and ended up relocating the right side wheels on his trailer approximately four feet to the rear of the trailer. He wasn't using tie downs and the boat slid forward on the trailer. He destroyed the front part of his trailer as well with the boat and did major fiberglass damage to the boat not only from the trailer but the telephone pole as well. If he had been using tie downs, there would not have been much damage to the boat. It is just crazy that some people would even think of not using them.

I can't believe we are actually discussing this topic or that there are 31 votes for not using the tie downs. I watched a guy wrap his boat ( 24' Monterey) and trailer around a telephone pole. He made his turn too sharp and ended up relocating the right side wheels on his trailer approximately four feet to the rear of the trailer. He wasn't using tie downs and the boat slid forward on the trailer. He destroyed the front part of his trailer as well with the boat and did major fiberglass damage to the boat not only from the trailer but the telephone pole as well. If he had been using tie downs, there would not have been much damage to the boat. It is just crazy that some people would even think of not using them.

Plus1.gif Fortunately, all the recent posts have agreed with you.

I still want a google map for the 31 votes for not using tie downs so I know where to avoid Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

• 1 month later...

Ive always used straps on my boats in the 25 years that Ive owned them. It surprises me how many people I see that dont use them. We looked at alot of boats this year and visited many dealers before we bought our BU, and I can recall 2 different salespeople that said they werent needed when I asked if the trailer came with them. I just shook my head and didnt get in a debate with them about it, but I also didnt buy a boat from them either. I guess my point being, besides the fact that I use them, is that there should be more education about them and towing safety in general. Not only for the people buying them, but for the salespeople too.

yes I know this is an old thread, and no the 2 salesguys werent bu salesmen. :)

• 1 month later...
Ive always used straps on my boats in the 25 years that Ive owned them. It surprises me how many people I see that dont use them. We looked at alot of boats this year and visited many dealers before we bought our BU, and I can recall 2 different salespeople that said they werent needed when I asked if the trailer came with them. I just shook my head and didnt get in a debate with them about it, but I also didnt buy a boat from them either. I guess my point being, besides the fact that I use them, is that there should be more education about them and towing safety in general. Not only for the people buying them, but for the salespeople too.

yes I know this is an old thread, and no the 2 salesguys werent bu salesmen. :)

Dont forget the safety of the lucky guy / family in the car driving behind them on the highway.

Yikes! Whistling.gif

• 3 months later...

Well after ten years of towing, I've never used transom straps. But with that said, there is a rough patch of road on the I40 that makes me think twice. Yet the dam thing never moves on the trailer. Only thing they would be good for, is a roll over. let's face it, that would ruin my day with or without straps. ;)

Well after ten years of towing, I've never used transom straps. But with that said, there is a rough patch of road on the I40 that makes me think twice. Yet the dam thing never moves on the trailer. Only thing they would be good for, is a roll over. let's face it, that would ruin my day with or without straps. ;)

Yep, but if it is still on your trailer and not on top of you, it may not ruin your day as bad!

How do you know the trailer is behind you.

A roll over??? I'm think if I have a roll over I won't be standing there saying, "boy, sure was a good thing I had those transom straps on". Dontknow.gif

Edited by WakingMeHappy
  • 2 months later...

Transom straps, new winch strap, and a safety chain for the front winch and my BU didn't cost $50K. It's a nobrainer and it takes 2 seconds to unlatch and reattach.

was on the way to havasu last year and saw a bunch of people trying to lift a boat onto a trailer. It was sitting in the middle of an intersection where it had slid off the trailer!!!!

I Have personally seen a set of transom straps fail. I saw a DD MB 210 hit large rock that had rolled on to shoulder. It bent trailer tire rim and bent the axel. Both transom straps sheared off and boat shifted 1-1/2” on trailer. The boat was perfectly fine no damage. I religious used transom straps until I saw this. Now I figure if they are just going to fail during a minor collision why bother.

I Have personally seen a set of transom straps fail. I saw a DD MB 210 hit large rock that had rolled on to shoulder. It bent trailer tire rim and bent the axel. Both transom straps sheared off and boat shifted 1-1/2” on trailer. The boat was perfectly fine no damage. I religious used transom straps until I saw this. Now I figure if they are just going to fail during a minor collision why bother.

wow, Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

your a glass half empty kind of person i guess, I see this case as, "thank god they had the straps or the boat may have come off the trailer and caused major damage".

When you were writing this did the thought that maybe the straps probably stopped it from sliding more than 1-1/2" on the trailer ever cross your mind? Crazy.gif

Edited by 06vlx