Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

5'11, 150 lbs, board suggestions

fever5

Since 2001, I've been riding a Hyperlite Belmont 134. I haven't been riding much the last 4 years. This year our family bought a wakeboard boat as we're starting to get into it again (more time).

I am looking at a larger board. Considering Hyperlite boards Murray 142 or Byerly in similar size. Not sure what size I should be riding. I am an intermediate rider who likes pop and am moderately aggressive with cutting. I am 5'11 150 lbs.

Thanks guys!

I think I just learned a lot about the demographics of this forum by a similar post which had a lot of responses by larger guys!

Thanks for those who viewed. I'll try to post what I get later on, so it might be of service to the few light weight guys on this forum. ;-)

Hehe..there are smaller people here. I just didn't feel all that comfortable giving you brand/board recs, but I can say you could ride anything from a 134 on up depending on the board. Take a look at Wakeworld for board reviews and characteristics. I like the Wakeside board charts as well. I ride a Pure 140 and a Fish 129, but I could go smaller @ 162 lbs. Maybe something in the 137-138ish range would be good for your weight, but I think you can ride bigger if you want to. You just don't want too small of a board if you're a bigger guy. It will sink at slower speeds and not handle as well as a properly fit board.

Your best bet is to demo, demo, demo if you have access to a good board shop. That way you can feel for yourself how size and the other host of board characteristics feels for your riding style.

Since 2001, I've been riding a Hyperlite Belmont 134. I haven't been riding much the last 4 years. This year our family bought a wakeboard boat as we're starting to get into it again (more time).

I am looking at a larger board. Considering Hyperlite boards Murray 142 or Byerly in similar size. Not sure what size I should be riding. I am an intermediate rider who likes pop and am moderately aggressive with cutting. I am 5'11 150 lbs.

Thanks guys!

I tell ya Fever, first thing I think you should do is hit the weight room during that long Canuck winter. Tease2.gif Then like jshap says, you Really have to Demo the board before you decide. The same size board from different mfg will ride and feel very different.

Our local shop doesn't have demos per se, but if I can narrow down to two boards, buy one, and leave credit info with the other they'll let me try out both which is pretty good. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 137-138, but the guy at the shop thought even that was a little small for height (he didn't know my weight). Maybe 141. I'll end up demoing probably a 137 and a 141 and see if I notice.

As for the weight room suggestion - I've been trying for a few years, never seem to have enough time to start a routine I can stick with....but I am trying again, if nothing else, for wakeboarding. Rockon.gif

I've never really understood why height is a factor in determining board size. Maybe it's a center of gravity thing, I dunno, but it seems to me that weight would be the starting point for fit and then rider style.

I'm 165, 5'11" and have a 137 Byerly that I love. It's a few years old, not sure how it has changed but has a lot of rocker and is an all around fun board for me (just my opinion, granted)