Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Gauge Location

Lieutenant Dan

I'm considering putting Perfect Pass Wakeboard/Digital Pro on my 2001 Sunsetter LXi with 5" guages. I've seen pictures of some PP gauges that have the PP controls on the bottom and a tach on the top. I asked PP but they claim to not offer that gauge, therefore, I'll need to swap out either the Speedo or the Tach/hour meter for the PP gauge.

What have you folks done? What are the pros and cons of either?

Keep the tach, ditch the speedo. The dumb things freeze up all the time on the '01s anyways, and they're not as accurate as the paddlewheel that will come with your PP. Plus, you can plug your pitots and not have to worry about frying your MDC if any water gets up into the circuitry.

That's what I'd do anyways...

well when i put PP in, i ditched the tach and kept the speedo, and i think i did the right thing. I sold the tach (i think to someone on this board), then later got the dual guage (the one with the tach on it).

If you want the dual guage and are getting a new PP setup, let me know, maybe we can work something out. I wouldn't mind the new multiline display (mine is only one season old).

Edited by jgouveia3

I plan on replacing the tach when I get PP after selling my run-about. PP has a tach on the screen too and if the paddlewheel goes out, the enjoyment of the day on the water goes downhill fast because it's difficult to maintain boarding speeds using the tach. As long as you know that your propped right & can't over-rev the engine, having the tach is a nice-to-have/sanity check of how efficiently the boat is performing for a given speed. The tach location is also a little more accessible as it's not directly behind the wheel. I do really wish the old analog tach/pp dislay was available with the multi-line 6.5Ng system.

well when i put PP in, i ditched the tach and kept the speedo, and i think i did the right thing.

My tach has the hour meter built into it. Do the PP guages / functions offer hour meter support? Or, did you hook up a different hour meter?

I don't know if your '01 has the stereo remote located under the dash, but if it does, you could replace it with a smaller PP guage. That way the dash still has the same look. If you don't have the remote under the dash, you could install it using the same chrome mounting hardware used on some of the newer boats.

The PP display provides both speed and RPM, so from that standpoint it doesn't matter. However, on my boat the tachometer has the multifunction display so I pulled the speedo.

I put my display (6.5ng) down by right knee next to the xm head unit, that way I can keep all three. Someone put up a pic, it might be on that OTHER site.

Easy install, just pulled out the single line display with RPM guage and put the original RPM guage back in. The hardest part was cutting the 5" hole into the vinal. Now I have the analog gage back and the new display.

well when i put PP in, i ditched the tach and kept the speedo, and i think i did the right thing.

My tach has the hour meter built into it. Do the PP guages / functions offer hour meter support? Or, did you hook up a different hour meter?

i had the same tach. the PP DOES have the hour meter function. BEFORE you take out the old gauge, write down the hours. at initial boot of PP, you can enter the hours.