Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rough Waters for Boaters

vlxjeff

The proposed fees are the old news.

The new news is how they're going to start inspections at a couple local lakes. I don;t think it will be long before they start mandatory inspections at all of the lakes.

Jeffmx has his houseboat at one of the lake mentioned in the story. It will become that much more of a pain to go to the lake every weekend.

Fricking tree huggers. Guns.gif

Is it the tree huggers or the EPA for failing to take the steps necessary to protect our waterways over the past 30 years?

Just another fine example of a gov't agency failing to get anything accomplished. Now because of a lack of action overtime now they are in emergency mode and we all get hosed.

The proposed fees are the old news.

The new news is how they're going to start inspections at a couple local lakes. I don;t think it will be long before they start mandatory inspections at all of the lakes.

Jeffmx has his houseboat at one of the lake mentioned in the story. It will become that much more of a pain to go to the lake every weekend.

I own that lake dude... NOBODY is gonna slow me down at the ramp !!

Besides my Malibu is so clean and shiny they would take one look and wave me thru...

On a related note, I was there this weekend doing some motor work to the houseboat, and the lake level has come up over 12" in a week!!! Rockon.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Well a new story that came out locally in the last couple days...

KCRA Channel 3 Story

I don't think it will be long before this check is commonplace in all California lakes.

Went thru this on Saturday... They pretty much took one look at my boat, and I was done. They give you a 30 day pass, and then you have to do it again.

There was another guy there with a bayliner of some sort and he did not pass, and got turned around at the gate.

The authorities are definately taking this seriously.

KCRA Channel 3 Story

I don't think it will be long before this check is commonplace in all California lakes.

Went thru this on Saturday... They pretty much took one look at my boat, and I was done. They give you a 30 day pass, and then you have to do it again.

There was another guy there with a bayliner of some sort and he did not pass, and got turned around at the gate.

Jeff, how did they approach you? I assume you have a season pass, so did they look at that and also that you're a houseboat owner there at the lake and less likely to be dragging your boat to many other bodies of water? Plus I'm sure your Malibu is in good shape and looks in good condition. What was the condition of the Bayliner?

Just curious.

Thanks for the update.

KCRA Channel 3 Story

Jeff, how did they approach you? I assume you have a season pass, so did they look at that and also that you're a houseboat owner there at the lake and less likely to be dragging your boat to many other bodies of water? Plus I'm sure your Malibu is in good shape and looks in good condition. What was the condition of the Bayliner?

Just curious.

Thanks for the update.

Yea I'm curious to here because the last thing I want is to travel 3 hours and have them turn me around for something stupid.

KCRA Channel 3 Story

Just curious.

Thanks for the update.

Jeff,

Funny you should ask...They approached me yelling and waving their arms as I went in thru the "out" gate, as all 3 of the "in" gates were blocked !

I do have a season pass, and I know everyone there, so thats why I roll thru the "out" door sometimes.

Once inside they saw the shiny Malibu (freshly waxed I might add), and found out I have a houseboat there,and that basically we only go there, I am sure that made it easier for them.

The other boats looked like they spent alot of time in the Delta, and did not look like they were well taken care of.

The moral of the story is to keep your hull clean and you shouldn't have any problems. But expect some delays coming to a lake near you in getting into the gate. I agree this will become the norm soon enough.

Edited by jeffmx
Yea I'm curious to here because the last thing I want is to travel 3 hours and have them turn me around for something stupid.

Quagga/Zebra Mussel Prevention Program

Quagga and Zebra Mussels are invasive, non-native mollusks that have been discovered in some California waters recently. State officials say the spread of the mussels threatens water delivery systems, hydroelectric facilities, agriculture, recreational boating and fishing, and the environment in general.

To prevent the destructive mussels from potentially shutting down the water delivery system, EBMUD will severely restrict boating on its reservoirs (i.e. Camanche, Pardee, etc.) this recreational season and turn away all boats from outside of California, southern California and those from nearby San Benito and Santa Clara counties.

All boats coming in will be inspected before launch, and boaters who have recently had their boats in any newly identified high risk reservoirs will also be turned away. Any boats found to have mussels when inspected will not be allowed on the water and the removal of those mussels on boats will be coordinated with the state Department of Fish and Game. As circumstances develop, additional restrictions may be implemented.

EBMUD is asking all boaters to follow the California Department of Fish and Game guidelines for mussel prevention.

How Boaters Can Help (excerpts from DF&G)

Boaters should check their boat, trailer and vehicle every time a boat is taken out of the water.

* Inspect all exposed surfaces (vehicle, trailer, anchor, dock lines, live wells, bilge, motor, hull, trailer axel and rollers). Small mussels feel like sandpaper and are invisible to the eye.

* Wash the hull of each watercraft thoroughly (steam clean if possible).

* Remove all debris, plant and animal material.

* Drain all water and dry all areas.

* Drain and dry the lower outboard unit.

* Clean and dry all live-wells.

* Empty and dry any buckets.

* Dispose of all bait in the trash.

* Wait five days and keep watercraft dry between launches into different fresh waters.

EBMUD Staff Recommends:

Learn about quagga mussels, zebra mussels and other invasive aquatic species and how to prevent their spread.

* Do not put your boat into waters that are inhabited or are at high risk of inhabitation. These areas include: Lake Mead, Lake Havasu, Lake Mojave, Lake Skinner, Copper Basin Reservoir, San Justo Reservoir, and generally waters of Santa Clara County, San Benito County, and California counties south of the Tehachapi Mountains, or any waters outside of California. Note that this list is growing as we learn more.

* Maintain a clean and dry boat inside and out! This includes all bilges, tanks, water pipes, trailers and accessories.

* Allow extra time when you visit EBMUD reservoirs to allow for staff to inspect all boats for invasive species and standing water.

* Boats failing inspection will be turned away.

Thank you for your vigilance, support and patience in keeping our waters free of invasive mussels

Edited by stewart

Quagga and Zebra Mussels are invasive, non-native mollusks that have been discovered in some California waters recently. State officials say the spread of the mussels threatens water delivery systems, hydroelectric facilities, agriculture, recreational boating and fishing, and the environment in general.

To prevent the destructive mussels from potentially shutting down the water delivery system, EBMUD will severely restrict boating on its reservoirs (i.e. Camanche, Pardee, etc.) this recreational season and turn away all boats from outside of California, southern California and those from nearby San Benito and Santa Clara counties.

All boats coming in will be inspected before launch, and boaters who have recently had their boats in any newly identified high risk reservoirs will also be turned away. Any boats found to have mussels when inspected will not be allowed on the water and the removal of those mussels on boats will be coordinated with the state Department of Fish and Game. As circumstances develop, additional restrictions may be implemented.

EBMUD is asking all boaters to follow the California Department of Fish and Game guidelines for mussel prevention.

Boaters should check their boat, trailer and vehicle every time a boat is taken out of the water.

* Inspect all exposed surfaces (vehicle, trailer, anchor, dock lines, live wells, bilge, motor, hull, trailer axel and rollers). Small mussels feel like sandpaper and are invisible to the eye.

* Wait five days and keep watercraft dry between launches into different fresh waters.

EBMUD Staff Recommends:

Learn about quagga mussels, zebra mussels and other invasive aquatic species and how to prevent their spread.

* Do not put your boat into waters that are inhabited or are at high risk of inhabitation. These areas include: Lake Mead, Lake Havasu, Lake Mojave, Lake Skinner, Copper Basin Reservoir, San Justo Reservoir, and generally waters of Santa Clara County, San Benito County, and California counties south of the Tehachapi Mountains, or any waters outside of California. Note that this list is growing as we learn more.

* Maintain a clean and dry boat inside and out! This includes all bilges, tanks, water pipes, trailers and accessories.

* Allow extra time when you visit EBMUD reservoirs to allow for staff to inspect all boats for invasive species and standing water.

Thank you for your vigilance, support and patience in keeping our waters free of invasive mussels

What is EBMUD stand for? I take care of my boat and if I get turned around because I am from Nevada and for no other reason thats a load of crap!! Guess I better find out sooner than later so I know if I should cancel my trip for WOW better tell Wakegirl also and anyone else that doesn't live in CA. (RANTING Mad.gif )

I can see it already the Marina and houseboat rental companies are going to lose a lot of money if they turn people around just because there not a CA resident. I'm willing to bet I can still get into Bullards since they have no entry gate to go thru. Clap.gif

EBMUD Staff Recommends:

What is EBMUD stand for? I take care of my boat and if I get turned around because I am from Nevada and for no other reason thats a load of crap!! Guess I better find out sooner than later so I know if I should cancel my trip for WOW better tell Wakegirl also and anyone else that doesn't live in CA. (RANTING Mad.gif )

I can see it already the Marina and houseboat rental companies are going to lose a lot of money if they turn people around just because there not a CA resident. I'm willing to bet I can still get into Bullards since they have no entry gate to go thru. Clap.gif

Tim,

The lakes that you normally boat on aren't controlled by EBMUD (East Bay Municipal Utility District). So for the time being, your Nevada plates won't cause you any problems.

But if these mussels continue to spread, then you might have problems here in Cali.

So lets hope they get this under control.

EBMUD Staff Recommends:

Tim,

The lakes that you normally boat on aren't controlled by EBMUD (East Bay Municipal Utility District). So for the time being, your Nevada plates won't cause you any problems.

But if these mussels continue to spread, then you might have problems here in Cali.

So lets hope they get this under control.

Oh good, thats what I was hoping. I know it's a problem but most of the lakes I visit are in California, and last I checked our lakes here in the Reno area where good.

Tim,

Just because Bullards doesn't have a "gate" doesn't mean they won't stop you at the top of the ramp. I've been stopped there for a safety inspection before.

Just because Bullards doesn't have a "gate" doesn't mean they won't stop you at the top of the ramp. I've been stopped there for a safety inspection before.

Plus1.gif Me too. Yes.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

Plus1.gif Me too. Yes.gif

Oh BTW,

I passed once they saw I had a back up for all of my back ups. Biggrin.gif

Oh BTW,

I passed once they saw I had a back up for all of my back ups. Biggrin.gif

Thumbup.gif

The only time I've ever been inspected was when I was there with my F-I-L with the canoe to do a little Kokanee fishing. :lol: Not a whole lot of safety gear in a canoe...just a couple of life vests. :) They checked our licenses too though. Fishing w/o a license...$250 fine. Shocking.gif

...I have never seen a ranger at the boat ramp in the two year I have been there.

:lol: Now you jinxed it. Yes.gif I'm calling DFG on you...they'll be waiting at the ramp. :lol:

...I have never seen a ranger at the boat ramp in the two year I have been there.

:lol: Now you jinxed it. Yes.gif I'm calling DFG on you...they'll be waiting at the ramp. :lol:

If the ranger is willing to be there at or before 7:00 am so be it but I doubt it!!!

If the ranger is willing to be there at or before 7:00 am so be it but I doubt it!!!

:unsure: The ranger is a government employee...we all know what slackers government employees are. Whistling.gif