Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Running rich + ignition beeping

Dkofoed

99 Malibu response is running pretty rich (smells very fumey) and the ignition beep that turns on when you turn the key continues to beep when running.  I'm assuming those two issues are unrelated but I've heard the beeping can possibly be oil pressure.

any advice for addressing/checking those two issues would be appreciated!

(indmar monsoon 335 fuel injected.)

Given the boats age the running rich may be a leaking fuel injector.  Have you checked oil level lately?  If more than you put in, that’s another clue.  High level would be fuel dilution.

Dkofoed

Interesting!  Another symptom is it will "bog" down if you punch throttle quickly (like when pulling a skier out of the water). Maybe related?  I've replaced the fuel filters, plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor. 

I would also check/replace all the idle air control valve and throttle position sensor. Does it run a little fast when going into gear?  I had a similar sounding issue and replacing these fixed it. Below is my favorite post to repost from @formulaben

Definitely check the fuel pressure before replacing any parts.  You should have ~42 PSI at key on, idle, and WOT.

Get the interior of the throttle body clean with some carb cleaner spray.  Make sure to get all of the side passages and the butterfly edge clean.  Open the throttle to get good access.

Rather than throw parts blindly at it, download the MEFI 2 service manual and perform the tests in the book.  The PCM manual is fine if you can't find the one from Indmar.

You can also build or buy your own MEFI interface and read data from the ECM.

Dkofoed
3 hours ago, justgary said:

Definitely check the fuel pressure before replacing any parts.  You should have ~42 PSI at key on, idle, and WOT.

Get the interior of the throttle body clean with some carb cleaner spray.  Make sure to get all of the side passages and the butterfly edge clean.  Open the throttle to get good access.

Rather than throw parts blindly at it, download the MEFI 2 service manual and perform the tests in the book.  The PCM manual is fine if you can't find the one from Indmar.

You can also build or buy your own MEFI interface and read data from the ECM.

Any idea where either of those manuals can be downloaded from?

5 hours ago, Dkofoed said:

Any idea where either of those manuals can be downloaded from?

The Internet is where I would look....

This one from Marine Power is OK.  TBI is Throttle Body Injection, MFI is Multiport Fuel Injection.  Use the correct section for diagnosing things.

https://marinepowerusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/ELECTRONIC-FUEL-INJECTION-MEFI-1-2-5.7L-350CID-8.2L-502CID.pdf

I didn't see the MFI section in this one, but it may be there.

https://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/L190180.pdf