Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weight in lockers 2005 Malibu VLX

Angela

We bought and rebuilt a 2005 Malibu VLX. We have yet to make a wale large enough for surfing and the lockers have a warning not to add extra weight. It seems everyone has extra weight .  Our standard tanks don’t seem to make much wave at all . We also got a nautical that seems  to do nothing . 

Hi Angela,

I have a 2007 Vlx which is basically the same hull. You should look into buying a kit from Wakemakers. You will want to talk with them about the amount of water weight to put in there. I run about 650 lbs which is on the lighter side. I usually don’t fill that because I have such a large crew. You will need lots of weight in the bow too. I believe there is a 60 / 40 rule? Maybe someone else can explain it better. I usually put a 750 lb bag in the walkway if I have less people and don’t have the bow full. 
My boat has a bow tank, mid, and rear tanks. If I’m surfing regular I fill all the tanks except the surf side to slightly list the boat and get the suck gate down. I have heard some people like to use the wedge, my wife hates the wedge so I don’t know its effect. Some like it and some say it has less push? Just experiment and see what works for you!