Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GPS for 2019 25LSV

Posted (edited)

Hey all Ive got the 2019 25 LSV and added GPS via this antenna off Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Active-Antenna-28dB-3-5VDC/dp/B00LXRQY9A/ref=sr_1_1?crid=29DC3RJLFWXXX&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.G5vqAFzjK4LvGM17JIlc-g.2GnT84CL9HSh370u_0tYh_IiK0fk154GZRn169rYHew&dib_tag=se&keywords=Q1060+GPS&qid=1715103362&sprefix=q1060+gps%2Caps%2C128&sr=8-1

And used the Navionics SD card updated to the current map. 

It works sorta well, but every few times using it the GPS will show the boat in the center of Montana somewhere. When it does this i cant get it to reset. Even shutting off the boat entirely, waiting a few minutes, turning it all back on (Im talking shutting off battery switch and all) does NOT clear it. It will show the boat in the middle of the US.  Eventually, it clears up and starts working again.

This is obviously something I want to resolve before the next time Im navigating lake lanier in the pitch dark. 

Do you think its the  $10 amazon GPS antenna ? Its mounted with clear view to the sky... Is there a better GPS antenna to get?  They are all made in china $10  on Amazon, there doesnt seem to be any better unless you get a giant puck or shark fin for hundreds $$.. 

Anyone else having this issue ?

Edited by ahopkins22LSV
Profanity not allowed per TOU

I have noticed that my navionics will almost always glitch out when I switch between it and other screens (ballast/lights/stereo/etc).  If I really want it to work, I cycle power, then go to the nav screen as soon as it fires up.  It will work flawlessly until I switch off of it.  Many of us have switched to using our phones/ipads and navionics app vs depending on the screens to function. If you are close to your dealer, perhaps let them dig into it.  It could be a software or firmware issue.  It’s not an often utilized feature so I could see it being a low priority for the Malibu/viper/medallion programmers.  I have a brand new oem screen on mine too.  I bought the navionics to decrease the pain of buying a new screen, at least id be upgrading its capability in the process - instead just got more doubt over the quality of oem stuff that is not returnable 🤣.

dizzygti

I wish the OEM GPS puck was that cheap.....

Sorry, I'm no help.   

4 hours ago, a2t said:

Do you think its the  $10 amazon GPS antenna ? Its mounted with clear view to the sky...

I have a few questions.  What does "clear view to the sky" mean to you? 

Also, since you bought an active antenna, does your GPS provide bias voltage for the amplifier?

Posted (edited)

The gps antenna is sitting just ahead of windshield in clear view of the sky. As to bias gain idk it’s the link I posted.

is there some way to mirror the navionics screen from my phone to the Malibu screen ? or all y’all just using ur phone screen for navigation ? 

this sucks. Not having working nav is super dangerous especially at night 

Edited by a2t

Use a volt meter and measure the DC voltage on your coax fitting from the GPS.  Be very careful to not short the center pin to the threaded outside part.

If you have no voltage, you bought the wrong antenna.  Your antenna has an amplifier that must have bias voltage to work.  It will be quite deaf without it.  In this case, your signal will be too low to receive GPS signals properly.  The signal strength screen on the GPS will show that it is not receiving signals well.

If you have anywhere between 3 to 5 volts, your GPS is providing bias voltage.  You bought a 28dB gain antenna, so your signals may be too high for the GPS to receive properly (like standing in front of a rock band).  The signal strength screen will show that all of the signals are at max level, or over 40dB.  You could try laying a damp towel over the antenna to see if the signals go down.  When you get it right, the signals should show one or two satellites at 35-40 dB and the rest below 30-35 dB.

ok thanks Gary but a few questions :

1. I used the EXACT same GPS unit on my 2016 malibu LSV 25 and it worked fine. Why would it work intermittently on a 2019 malibu 25 LSV ?

2. Why would it work perfectly sometimes and then show us in the middle of Montana other times ? If the GPS unit on the boat wasnt providing any reference voltage then it would NOT work at all.  Its working about 75% of the time perfectly.

Let me ask this - what the hell GPS antennas  are you guys using on your 2019ish malibu LSV;s ?  What gain and bias voltage specs ?

They are all cheap sh!t from Amazon made in China, so there isnt a much more expensive or seemingly better one to buy ... 

Maybe this amazon antenna is just defective, spend another $15 and try again ?

Edited by a2t
19 hours ago, a2t said:

If the GPS unit on the boat wasnt providing any reference voltage then it would NOT work at all.

This is not strictly true.  It depends on the design of the preamplifier.

Did you actually measure the bias voltage on yours?

Are you able to view a screen that shows signal strengths from each satellite?

No Im not at the boat but i will next week.

Cant this question be answered by someone who knows these ? The 2019 Malibu LSV units are all the same, someone should know if its got bias voltage. Im sure it does, like i said this same GPS worked fine on a 2016, theres no different in screens between those 2 boats.