Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 response LXI

Posted (edited)

Talk me out of this boat! 

coming from a 95 prostar190 but family is growing and right now the kids are wakeboarding but will be trying skiing again this spring/summer. Looking at adding a tower to the 95 but it’s such a clean original 95 I don’t really want to go that route. We  have a skylon pole for wakeboarding but it’s a bit of a pain and running out of room. Plus wife wants an open bow for the times we’re just hanging on the boat. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1125934938412637/

Edited by Malinewb

Looks like it's in pretty good shape for it's age.  I'd take a serious look at the trailer!! If it's original, it's probably at (or past) the useable life.  I'd check the cross members, axle/spring hangers as well as the welds holding the bunks.  I don't think this should be a dealbreaker, but you'll need to be aware if you will tow any distance at all.  A broken trailer on a boat is no fun at all, and can ruin a good vacation or even summer.  When you test drive the boat, look over the trailer while boat is off.

Yeah that and the faded tower are red flags. It’s been used in a private lake so I assume the trailer has just sat out in the sun. I’ll definitely be going over the trailer if I move forward. As far as the boat goes anything in particular to this model that I should look out for? 

Posted (edited)

Those are excellent slalom boats.  They are prone to dipping the bow under water pretty easily so if you're hanging out up there, do it in the no wake zone or prepare to navigate if/when the surf barges roll in.  That year boat with those hours would have the ETX non-cat manifolds, which tend to corrode away and need new plugs welded in.  Not a big deal, but something to check on.  Look for any water leakage signs on the manifolds.

That's the last year of throttle and shift by cable.  Check the cables for both for smooth operation and ask if they've ever been serviced (including the endpoint doohickeys that attach them to the throttle).

If you like it, BUY IT!  Great boat from Malibu's hay-day!

Edited by UWSkier
Bluefishcay

I have one and it’s a great slalom boat.  Seems to be popular with the barefooters as well.  Note that this is one of the boats that was rerated due to the lawsuit and now is rated to hold 2 fewer people.  Also no people up front while underway.  

as mentioned above, they will dip the bow very easily.  Have to be careful to keep from getting wet.  

one thing to check out is the water box around the stuffing box.  They are know to leak.  They can be fixed, but good to know if that needs done or has been done already.  

ahopkins22LSV
45 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Those are excellent slalom boats.  They are prone to dipping the bow under water pretty easily so if you're hanging out up there, do it in the no wake zone or prepare to navigate if/when the surf barges roll in.  That year boat with those hours would have the ETX non-cat manifolds, which tend to corrode away and need new plugs welded in.  Not a big deal, but something to check on.  Look for any water leakage signs on the manifolds.

That's the last year of throttle and shift by wire.  Check the cables for both for smooth operation and ask if they've ever been serviced (including the endpoint doohickeys that attach them to the throttle).

If you like it, BUY IT!  Great boat from Malibu's hay-day!

This sums everything up well. It’s on of my favorite boats Malibu every made and I love skiing it. 

I had an 05 r Lxi.  Loved it.  Only thing I would caution is that that era hammerhead was one of the more problematic engines Malibu put its name on.  That’s not to say you won’t have great luck with it, but there were more problems with it than the monsoon. That’s for sure. That said, a new long block can be had for less than you would think.

Posted (edited)

2003-2006 of Response LXI were good models for barefooting. Friend has that same color scheme in a 2006. I take it out from time to time. Works very well. Trailer axle issue though. Common on all trailers with torsion axels. 

Edited by footndale
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, UWSkier said:

That's the last year of throttle and shift by wire.

Just a slight clarification here for the OP.  "By wire" is generally taken to mean electronically.  This boat definitely has mechanical linkages for throttle and shift, so it is not "by wire".

Gen 1 LXI (03-06) is a very good slalom / barefoot boat.  I ski behind one of those and a 92 PS 190.  LXI wake is softer and similar flatness at 32 and shorter.  Long line LXI has a larger hump.  LXI is spray free so no short line BB’s.  GM power so parts are plentiful.  As mentioned, a really good boat and hard to beat the wake, right there with the good Prostar years and the CC 196.  You will dip the bow, not if but how soon:-)

2 hours ago, justgary said:

Just a slight clarification here for the OP.  "By wire" is generally taken to mean electronically.  This boat definitely has mechanical linkages for throttle and shift, so it is not "by wire".

Oops, meant to say last year BEFORE shift by wire.  Definitely two cables on the '05.  '06 went to the electronic throttle control.

I had a 05’ RLXi, with the 340 Monsoon.  As stated by others it’s a great slalom and barefoot boat.  Check the multi-gauge works, those are prone to fail and impossible to find replacements.  Also check the rear hatch covers.  That model year they used an aluminum honeycomb type substrate under the upholstery & foam.  It’s notorious for failing leaving the hatch covers flimsy when weight is on it.  Definitely check that trailer.

• Like 2
Clifford321

Since your talking '05 Response LXi's. I have the same boat with the Monsoon 340 and it has a pinhole leak in the fuel rail. Can someone suggest where too find a replacement rail. 

2 hours ago, Clifford321 said:

Since your talking '05 Response LXi's. I have the same boat with the Monsoon 340 and it has a pinhole leak in the fuel rail. Can someone suggest where too find a replacement rail. 

Have you looked at the normal places?
https://www.bakesonline.com/
https://skidim.com/
https://www.malibuparts.com/

There are a few more, just can't remember them.

3 hours ago, Clifford321 said:

Please start your own thread in the maintenance forum for a unique problem like this.