Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 VLX Touch Screen Issue

jeg101586

Hey All, 

I tried searching the forums but couldn't find an issue similar to mine. I have a 2017 VLX which we got out for the first time this year. Everything was working fine until the smaller screen just randomly started switching between menu's as if someone was pressing random buttons nonstop. When this started happening, the 12" screen started lagging (Every button press would take about 5 seconds to respond if it would respond at all). I killed the boat and turned the batteries off/on and it resolved the problem for about 15 minutes then the smaller screen started switching menus again. It was 90 degrees out today and the screens were hot to the touch. Could warm weather cause the system to think it's a button press? 

Thanks for any advice! 

ahopkins22LSV

I haven’t heard of that problem before, but with most electrical issues I would start with ensuring that the batteries are good and fully charged. That the connections on the batteries are good. Find every ground you can and verify those are good. Finally I would remove the panel under the dash to make sure all connections are good to the screens and any other connection under the dash. 

The small screen in my 2018 would boot up upside down. Never heard of another that would do the same. Dealer had to change it out again as that was a replacement screen do to Delamination in original after 400 hrs. GREMLINS!

jeg101586
4 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

I haven’t heard of that problem before, but with most electrical issues I would start with ensuring that the batteries are good and fully charged. That the connections on the batteries are good. Find every ground you can and verify those are good. Finally I would remove the panel under the dash to make sure all connections are good to the screens and any other connection under the dash. 

Thanks, I will try going through the grounds. The boat has an onboard charger but was unplugged before taking the boat out. 

14 hours ago, jeg101586 said:

Hey All, 

I tried searching the forums but couldn't find an issue similar to mine. I have a 2017 VLX which we got out for the first time this year. Everything was working fine until the smaller screen just randomly started switching between menu's as if someone was pressing random buttons nonstop. When this started happening, the 12" screen started lagging (Every button press would take about 5 seconds to respond if it would respond at all). I killed the boat and turned the batteries off/on and it resolved the problem for about 15 minutes then the smaller screen started switching menus again. It was 90 degrees out today and the screens were hot to the touch. Could warm weather cause the system to think it's a button press? 

Thanks for any advice! 

Sorry bud! I’m betting you will be replacing that small screen.  I had the exact same issue on my 2015 lsv 2 years ago.  If you take a really close look, you will likely find tiny bubbles of delamination towards the bottom or top of the small screen.  It will continue to get worse and worse, that screen will flash more and more and it will not be able to keep stereo going, will be adjusting your settings while moving, etc.  Eventually it will stop communicating with your upper screen and the upper screen will register no information (speed/rpms/temp/etc).  Your boat will continue to run and it will likely not throw codes, but obviously it is not safe to run with the screen doing that.  I have video of my screen doing it if you want to verify I could upload it to YouTube and send you a link.  Very frustrating because the screen appears almost brand new until you get a really close look and find the delam’d areas.  Good luck and sorry for the bad news!  I hope I am wrong but that’s literally the exact same issue I had.  Fwiw I sent the video to the local Malibu service manager and he immediately replied that it’s a known issue and will require a new screen.  I doubt it’s a result of too much time in the sun alone - as my boat had spent most of its life in Utah and Oregon in hvac controlled garages.  When on the water I have always meticulously covered the screens with towels to keep them out of any prolonged direct sunlight.  That said the problems with ghosting did get worse and worse the longer the season went, and eventually the delams got big enough to find.   

edit: uploaded one of the vids of my screen on YouTube so it could be documented with this forum issue. 

link:

Edited by PNWoke
jeg101586
On 4/22/2024 at 11:27 AM, PNWoke said:

Sorry bud! I’m betting you will be replacing that small screen.  I had the exact same issue on my 2015 lsv 2 years ago.  If you take a really close look, you will likely find tiny bubbles of delamination towards the bottom or top of the small screen.  It will continue to get worse and worse, that screen will flash more and more and it will not be able to keep stereo going, will be adjusting your settings while moving, etc.  Eventually it will stop communicating with your upper screen and the upper screen will register no information (speed/rpms/temp/etc).  Your boat will continue to run and it will likely not throw codes, but obviously it is not safe to run with the screen doing that.  I have video of my screen doing it if you want to verify I could upload it to YouTube and send you a link.  Very frustrating because the screen appears almost brand new until you get a really close look and find the delam’d areas.  Good luck and sorry for the bad news!  I hope I am wrong but that’s literally the exact same issue I had.  Fwiw I sent the video to the local Malibu service manager and he immediately replied that it’s a known issue and will require a new screen.  I doubt it’s a result of too much time in the sun alone - as my boat had spent most of its life in Utah and Oregon in hvac controlled garages.  When on the water I have always meticulously covered the screens with towels to keep them out of any prolonged direct sunlight.  That said the problems with ghosting did get worse and worse the longer the season went, and eventually the delams got big enough to find.   

edit: uploaded one of the vids of my screen on YouTube so it could be documented with this forum issue. 

link:

That is exactly what mine was doing all day! I checked all over the screen and didn't see any delamination but I am going to run out and check when I get home from the office. Seems like I'm going to be shelling out for a new screen in the near future. 😔

3 hours ago, jeg101586 said:

That is exactly what mine was doing all day! I checked all over the screen and didn't see any delamination but I am going to run out and check when I get home from the office. Seems like I'm going to be shelling out for a new screen in the near future. 😔

At least you have mtcscreens.com!  I wish it was available when I needed one.  $1700 is a lot more palatable than $4000.  That said I was super happy with the boat after I replaced the screen, even paying that much!  I just wrote it off as an extra seasons worth of gas and moved on.

On 4/23/2024 at 5:06 PM, PNWoke said:

At least you have mtcscreens.com!  I wish it was available when I needed one.  $1700 is a lot more palatable than $4000.  That said I was super happy with the boat after I replaced the screen, even paying that much!  I just wrote it off as an extra seasons worth of gas and moved on.

That is true, thanks for the advice! Is there a way to tell which screen to order without pulling it out and getting the model number? I'd like to still use the boat while I wait for a new screen.