Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Summer 2024 Pricing Trends

ThePeggyLou

ThePeggyLou

Hi All, New to the forum

I'm looking at an LSV or MXZ, 23-24FT. This will be my first boat purchase, and comparing used to new, to different models have pricing all over the place

I'd love a deal, and I plan to buy through my marina and I view this as a long term relationship I'll be building. 

What target should I feel comfortable that I made a good deal, and the dealership made a good deal? Is it a % off MSRP, a warranty inclusion, etc? 

I've primarily been looking used, would like to stay around 100-110, the dealer has some inventory they are looking to move (new) and are going to try to make it work (likely higher than the 100-110 I think

Also where is recommended for financing with low rates?

• Like 1

If you are looking used, I would recommend expanding your search beyond your "marina".  I personally find that the need for a long term relationship for something mechanical I am buying would indicate that I think it is gonna be broken a lot.  And honestly any dealer should be happy to charge you high marine shop rates regardless of where you purchased.

• Like 3

Be sure that your search for a "good deal" doesnt put you in the wrong boat.

Especially given this is your first boat, I'd recommend focusing on what boat fits your needs/use case. Why 23 or 24 ft? Traditional vs pickle fork bow? New axis vs used Malibu.  Important features/activities to you? Etc

% off MSRP is irrelevant until you know what you are looking for.  This forum is great to talk thru pros and cons of each if you describe your use case/priorities

• Like 1
ThePeggyLou
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Be sure that your search for a "good deal" doesnt put you in the wrong boat.

Especially given this is your first boat, I'd recommend focusing on what boat fits your needs/use case. Why 23 or 24 ft? Traditional vs pickle fork bow? New axis vs used Malibu.  Important features/activities to you? Etc

% off MSRP is irrelevant until you know what you are looking for.  This forum is great to talk thru pros and cons of each if you describe your use case/priorities

Agreed - I'm looking for a wakesurfing boat because it gives the best of both worlds, my wife wants a pontoon, which is great, but would bore me to tears. I like to do things, I like wakeboarding but would need someone to drive me, and given the speeds its not necessarily comfortable lounging for those who could care less (my wife)

Would prefer picklefork and prefer malibu, but thats not a hardline

With wakesurfing I think that the low speed and comradery kinda gives us what we need. the 23/24ft is on the basis of room, I have a large family, she has a large family, and generally everyone is hanging out together, I can see most often having anywhere from 7-12 people on the boat at once, plus dogs

I would love a 26, but the price just keeps creeping up lol

Edited by ThePeggyLou

Copy, helps to know where you are coming from.  i got into a surf boat when we wanted a larger bowrider/do-everything boat and figured for a small premium why not get one that can surf -- tons of fun and less painful when i or others fall (and more social/unique for visitors).  My A24 has been perfect for us; crew of a dozen is no sweat, moves plenty of water for 250lbs visitors to surf even on non-ideal boards, picklefork is great for 3-4 kids to hang in their own area etc.  

Lots of brands make a 23-24ft surf boat that'll meet your base criteria of taking a big crew while being more-fun-than-a-pontoon.  If you have a dealer you like that's Malibu/Axis, great.  But if you have other dealers nearby for other brands, may be worth kicking their tires as well to see what you like.

On this forum, your biggest decision is probably Axis vs Malibu - a total personal preference about features you value.  A 24MXZ can obviously handle a 10 person crew and do everything you describe...but so could a T235 for probably 80-100k less.  with your price range, you're talking a 5+yr old out-of-warranty Malibu vs a new (or nearly new) Axis.   For recreational riders, difference in behind the boat performance is probably minimal between 23MXZ, 24MXZ, T235, A245 and T250 (especially comparing a 5yr old MXZ to a brand new T250 for example).  the T-series axis have hybrid bows that are almost pickle-fork in size; significantly larger than a 23LSV for instance.  While an Axis can have same motor, interior space, and wave, they save $$ by using more plastic, less automation/touch screens/lighting, and other options are just not available (flip down swim-step, table on the sliding bench seat, power tower, etc).  I personally still think Axis is a super nice boat - mine is 5yrs old and not nearly as nice as the new ones, but visitors always comment about how sweet it is. 

definitely climb on a couple, do a water test-drive if possible to see them operate the systems and that'll hopefully help decide what features you think matter the most.

• Like 2

Crossing over from LSV must haves - just got a quote for a left over 2023 23LSV.  They were 23% off MSRP, but then there is a 10K Malibu rebate that gets you down to a 28% discount from MSRP. 218K MSRP down to 156K with the 10K rebate.   This was my 1st discussion with them, so I'm sure there is more room.  Doesn't seem enough to me.  What do y'all think? I thought people on here were getting 25% off brand new models.   

• Like 1
dizzygti
34 minutes ago, Horns1 said:

Crossing over from LSV must haves - just got a quote for a left over 2023 23LSV.  They were 23% off MSRP, but then there is a 10K Malibu rebate that gets you down to a 28% discount from MSRP. 218K MSRP down to 156K with the 10K rebate.   This was my 1st discussion with them, so I'm sure there is more room.  Doesn't seem enough to me.  What do y'all think? I thought people on here were getting 25% off brand new models.   

Pricing and transparency are not a combo in the boat buying world.    What someone else got in another region with a different boat from a different dealer has nothing to do with the boat and dealer you are dealing with.    That said, all the dealers are hurting, so yes, there is room for more.   Will they give it to you?   That's between you guys.   

• Like 3

@CaptainMorgan and @dizzygti are both correct

Pricing is different all over the nation. MSRP is different all over the nation. It isn’t like the car world. Dealers can display any MSRP they want. Be very careful with the formula of a % off MSRP. 

Go demo any boat you are interested in. The dealer should be happy to take you on the water. Especially with it being your first boat. 

Axis would be a great solution for you I think. Get the first boat, put dings on it. If the family and friends enjoy it then maybe upgrade to Malibu on the second boat. 

If looking at used look outside your area to compare. Talk to your local dealer about used as well. They may know of something you’re interested in. If looking at new, develop that relationship with the dealer. 

Good luck with your search! 

• Like 2
ThePeggyLou
10 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Copy, helps to know where you are coming from.  i got into a surf boat when we wanted a larger bowrider/do-everything boat and figured for a small premium why not get one that can surf -- tons of fun and less painful when i or others fall (and more social/unique for visitors).  My A24 has been perfect for us; crew of a dozen is no sweat, moves plenty of water for 250lbs visitors to surf even on non-ideal boards, picklefork is great for 3-4 kids to hang in their own area etc.  

Lots of brands make a 23-24ft surf boat that'll meet your base criteria of taking a big crew while being more-fun-than-a-pontoon.  If you have a dealer you like that's Malibu/Axis, great.  But if you have other dealers nearby for other brands, may be worth kicking their tires as well to see what you like.

On this forum, your biggest decision is probably Axis vs Malibu - a total personal preference about features you value.  A 24MXZ can obviously handle a 10 person crew and do everything you describe...but so could a T235 for probably 80-100k less.  with your price range, you're talking a 5+yr old out-of-warranty Malibu vs a new (or nearly new) Axis.   For recreational riders, difference in behind the boat performance is probably minimal between 23MXZ, 24MXZ, T235, A245 and T250 (especially comparing a 5yr old MXZ to a brand new T250 for example).  the T-series axis have hybrid bows that are almost pickle-fork in size; significantly larger than a 23LSV for instance.  While an Axis can have same motor, interior space, and wave, they save $$ by using more plastic, less automation/touch screens/lighting, and other options are just not available (flip down swim-step, table on the sliding bench seat, power tower, etc).  I personally still think Axis is a super nice boat - mine is 5yrs old and not nearly as nice as the new ones, but visitors always comment about how sweet it is. 

definitely climb on a couple, do a water test-drive if possible to see them operate the systems and that'll hopefully help decide what features you think matter the most.

This is supremely helpful, appreciate it

ThePeggyLou
8 hours ago, Horns1 said:

I saw similar, little less of a rebate from Malibu

ThePeggyLou
7 hours ago, CBray4 said:

@CaptainMorgan and @dizzygti are both correct

Pricing is different all over the nation. MSRP is different all over the nation. It isn’t like the car world. Dealers can display any MSRP they want. Be very careful with the formula of a % off MSRP. 

Go demo any boat you are interested in. The dealer should be happy to take you on the water. Especially with it being your first boat. 

Axis would be a great solution for you I think. Get the first boat, put dings on it. If the family and friends enjoy it then maybe upgrade to Malibu on the second boat. 

If looking at used look outside your area to compare. Talk to your local dealer about used as well. They may know of something you’re interested in. If looking at new, develop that relationship with the dealer. 

Good luck with your search! 

Appreciate it, I looked at a single axis which wasnt my flavor - but not enough of them it seems, im gathering I should take another pass at them thank you 

Peggy, don’t know about NJ, but down in Texas you could get into a 2020 on either model for around 100k, from what I’ve seen. 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:32 PM, ThePeggyLou said:

Appreciate it, I looked at a single axis which wasnt my flavor - but not enough of them it seems, im gathering I should take another pass at them thank you 

Shoot here’s a great one a friend of mine is selling in Texas. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/ptFapJznMtEZsUzB/?mibextid=79PoIi

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

is there a way to check number of 2024 units sold to actual customers and compare to 23's sold at the same time the year before? maybe its just me but I feel like i have not seen any new boat post hardly for 2024 models. particularly the 23 lsv with it being a new model.  when the m220 , m235, and 2022 25 lsv came out there seemed to be a bunch of posts on them. the msrp on the 24's just seem crazy high to me and even after discounts once you add taxes back in. 

7 minutes ago, smuurph84 said:

is there a way to check number of 2024 units sold to actual customers and compare to 23's sold at the same time the year before? maybe its just me but I feel like i have not seen any new boat post hardly for 2024 models. particularly the 23 lsv with it being a new model.  when the m220 , m235, and 2022 25 lsv came out there seemed to be a bunch of posts on them. the msrp on the 24's just seem crazy high to me and even after discounts once you add taxes back in. 

IDK.. My local dealer has been posting several photos on their FB page of customers buying boats.  I am not following it enough to tell if they are used vs. new.  But, things are moving at some pace for them.

28 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

IDK.. My local dealer has been posting several photos on their FB page of customers buying boats.  I am not following it enough to tell if they are used vs. new.  But, things are moving at some pace for them.

I know it is not apples to apples, but I just received the RVIA report for RV's.  Total shipments for RV's are up 9.3% year to date over last year.  Sales are expected to pick up in the third and fourth quarters for RV's.  Every once in a while I will see a similar report for marine, but I haven't seen one in awhile.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

These could have been boats ordered a while ago and they are just taking delivery or boat show boats from several months ago.  Either way, there will still be buyers hitting up dealers in the next 30-60 days b/c of summer.  

Edited by pauley71

A 2020 25LSV would fit the bill for your use case as well. Not sure about the low 100s but you get the updated hull from 2019 (surfs great) and the 2020 updated helm and operating system.