Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Wakesetter 25LSV Throttle randomly surges

Jonkoucky

Randomly the throttle will surge.  This is most disturbing when docking.  Sometimes it goes for days without doing it and then when least expected RPM will jump high without touching the throttle.  I am guessing throttle by wire issue.  Can they be cleaned or do I need to replace the sensor?  Any advice greatly appreciated!

45 minutes ago, Jonkoucky said:

Randomly the throttle will surge.  This is most disturbing when docking.  Sometimes it goes for days without doing it and then when least expected RPM will jump high without touching the throttle.  I am guessing throttle by wire issue.  Can they be cleaned or do I need to replace the sensor?  Any advice greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Crew. When is the last time she was tuned up? Plugs, wires, fuel filters, cap rotor (if applicable) ect.

• Like 1
Jonkoucky

34 minutes ago, Jonkoucky said:

Welcome to the Crew. When is the last time she was tuned up? Plugs, wires, fuel filters, cap rotor (if applicable) ect. :dontknow:

I don't think you meant 2004.  Maybe you didn't mean 25LSV.  What year and engine do you have?

The first thing I would do for an idle problem is grab some (catalyst safe) carb cleaner and clean the inside of the throttle body to make sure you don't have some gunk in the ICM, the butterfly, or a small passage.  Well, maybe the second thing after what @BlindSquirrel said.

10 hours ago, Jonkoucky said:

By the way, your original post apparently got moved to the Maintenance forum by a moderator.  When they move this one, please find it and don't start another one.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, justgary said:

By the way, your original post apparently got moved to the Maintenance forum by a moderator.  When they move this one, please find it and don't start another one.

Correct, I did. And now I’ve moved and merged the second one with the original. 

2 hours ago, justgary said:

I don't think you meant 2004.  Maybe you didn't mean 25LSV.  What year and engine do you have?

The first thing I would do for an idle problem is grab some (catalyst safe) carb cleaner and clean the inside of the throttle body to make sure you don't have some gunk in the ICM, the butterfly, or a small passage.  Well, maybe the second thing after what @BlindSquirrel said.

I believe he is talking about the sunscape 25lsv with the window in the side and the Head in the ski locker. 

9 hours ago, Stevo said:

I believe he is talking about the sunscape 25lsv with the window in the side and the Head in the ski locker. 

Yup - the whale.  I'm a bit surprised that a 2004 would be throttle by wire.

image.thumb.png.6dfdf05b5d7f5f6e1cf70dc0aa4d4a95.png

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

In any event, if it is really a throttle by wire - the TPS are typically not rebuildable (there would be one in throttle and one at engine side).   More likely, assuming it is not a tune up issue - the mechanical cable is slipping somewhere in a bracket.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

In any event, if it is really a throttle by wire - the TPS are typically not rebuildable (there would be one in throttle and one at engine side).   More likely, assuming it is not a tune up issue - the mechanical cable is slipping somewhere in a bracket.

The throttle by wire part is why I questioned the 2004 year model.  Anyway, we need to know the particular engine.

After tune up and throttle body cleaning, I'd check the distributor module next (if it has one).  @filftwalton had a very similar issue that baffled many people for several years.  The third new module finally fixed it, so I still wonder if it didn't have a connector mating problem as well.

9 minutes ago, justgary said:

The throttle by wire part is why I questioned the 2004 year model.  Anyway, we need to know the particular engine.

After tune up and throttle body cleaning, I'd check the distributor module next (if it has one).  @filftwalton had a very similar issue that baffled many people for several years.  The third new module finally fixed it, so I still wonder if it didn't have a connector mating problem as well.

The 8.1 was the only engine you could get in the LSV25

The 8.1l had throttle surge issues. I believe it took a new programming from Indmar to reduce the throttle flare, but that was a long time ago. I'll see if I can find the old service bulletin on it.

There was an ECM update and possibly a replacement of the IAC to help.

Edited by JeffK
Jonkoucky
On 4/9/2024 at 9:45 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

Welcome to the Crew. When is the last time she was tuned up? Plugs, wires, fuel filters, cap rotor (if applicable) ect. :dontknow:

We have had her two years and beyond that I don't know.  Great place to start.  I will do that.

Jonkoucky

Thanks to everyone for the help.  It is a 2004 25LSV with the head.  It has the 8.1L