Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2023 24MXZ vs 2021-23 25LSV

atomicrider13

We are currently looking to upgrade from our 2014 247 and are just looking at options… 
99% of the time we are surfing or just lounging. I can see benifits to both but would like some real world opinions on surf wave, rough water ride (our lake gets pretty beat up) ect.                              I have heard rumors about taking water over the bow easier with the MXZ is this a driver issue or real world picklefork thing!? 

Edited by atomicrider13

Of those, I'd choose the 25LSV model year 22+.  I'm slightly biased, but we demoed a 24MXZ and prefer the LSV.  Rough water ride is better and dryer in the LSV from our experience.  We also believe it's a better surf rig.

1 hour ago, atomicrider13 said:

We are currently looking to upgrade from our 2014 247 and are just looking at options… 
99% of the time we are surfing or just lounging. I can see benifits to both but would like some real world opinions on surf wave, rough water ride (our lake gets pretty beat up) ect.                              I have heard rumors about taking water over the bow easier with the MXZ is this a driver issue or real world picklefork thing!? 

If you drive a pickle fork like a traditional bow boat, you might dip the bow on turns. Drive it like a MXZ and you won’t have issues. I’ve had three MXZ’s and a dozen LSV’s. You learn how to drive correctly. Demo Demo Demo 

I haven't been in a 24 MXZ on the water.  Plenty of time in the show room.  We debated these two a lot when we bought the 25 LSV.  What i can say, the 25 LSV is a MUCH better riding and surfing rig than the 23 LSV we came from.  We haven't dipped the nose once in it vs the 23 LSV which had to be driven very carefully.  We also liked that the '23 25 LSV felt a bit more modern: cool feel, stitching pattern, rear seats, etc.

Edited by Five Cent Worth
dizzygti

The bigger the boat, the better.    I don't think MXZ vs LS makes any difference on surf wave as there are too many other variables.    They both have gates, wedges, and ballasts.    The nose doesn't affect the wave any more than any of those three.   

• Like 2

i'd say dipping the nose and taking on water is driver dependent - competent driver would keep both boats dry. 

Allegedly the picklefork results in a little more spray in rough conditions (since some water sprays 'forward' vs directly out the side) -- i have a picklefork and notice some spray on windy/rough days, but don't have a point of comparison.  

25LSV got refreshed more recently; i'm guessing a 24mxz refresh is coming soon.  so that may give slight edge in surf wave to mxz, but i'd say the large bow hang-out-area on an mxz vs traditional bow is probably a biggest differentiator and completely down to personal preference.

20 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Allegedly the picklefork results in a little more spray in rough conditions (since some water sprays 'forward' vs directly out the side) -- i have a picklefork and notice some spray on windy/rough days,

!00% agree with more spray.

I owned a 2023 25 LSV and my close friend has a 2023 24 MXZ.  Here are my thoughts:

25 LSV - much, much bigger.  It's not even close.  The 25 feels twice as deep, its markedly taller on the trailer and in the water, and just seems to dwarf the 24 mxz.  This is good and bad.  The good is there is much more interior room than in the mxz, as well as a TON of additional storage.  The height difference results in the increased storage volume, as well as the fact that there is more under the seat storage in the rear.  The surf waves on both boats are absolutely solid.  The wakeboard wake has the potential to be larger behind the 25, but if your not a pro I'm not sure it matters.  The only performance knock I have on the 25 is that the wakeboard wake doesn't clean up as well with no weight and at very slow speeds.   The 25 rides much better in chop than the MXZ.  However, the MXZ is more nimble.  The 25 is a bear to trailer and park and takes up a ton of room on a lift or in a driveway.  If size and surfing are your focuses and you want rough water performance, the 25 is the easy option if you don't care about storage or towing.  If towing/storage is a concern or you plan to teach a bunch of grom's how to wakeboard, the MXZ might be better.

All that being said, I have a 23LSV on order because I like the traditional bow, I like the scalability of the wake of the 23, I need an easier boat to tow, and I want more driveway space.  The new 23 is sick.