Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a transom remote, worth it?

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

For those who have or have added a transom remote, do you use it? We spend a ton of time anchored at a sandbar or swimming cove so we spend a ton of time sitting on the transom watching the kids. It’s truly a first world problem to have to get up to change a song or adjust the volume but since there is a solution, should I spend the $285?

https://www.malibuparts.com/products/stereo-remote-transom-3910445

Is there other options out there or is that one the only one available for the stock systems? I’m not looking to get into redoing any head units, amps, etc. 

i never use mine.  if we stop to watch kids like you describe, we are usually sitting on sunpad and my wife usually has her phone (i.e. already taking pictures of kids) and she's always streaming something like spotify which ends up acting as a transom controller.  caveat is that i don't care about music - if wife isn't on the boat i simply let some radio station play quietly as background noise so song selection isn't high on my list.  If you are (a) into music, and/or (b) typically sitting on the swim step dangling feet over the side, then maybe i'd get it since i wouldn't risk phone that close to the water.

dizzygti

We do plenty of cove chilling swim time....and have never used the transom remote.   

I don't use it that much, but do love it. It saves getting in the boat when you are cove'ing and you want to adjust volume or skip crappy songs !

We use ours a lot. We do quite a bit of swimming and hanging at the beaches so the transom remote is very handy.
I will say my 3 yr old thinks it's funny to play with the volume when it's a song he likes. 

Mounted mine off to the starboard corner instead of the factory center position. Center spot on my older boat often got hit accidently by people climbing in or sitting back there. Off on the side, you can reach it from the water without climbing out of the water to reach over the platform when it is center mounted. I did not use the bezel because I wanted it to blend in with my black gelcoat color and not stand out. Get the harness and get her done. Simple plug and play install. The remote can be found cheaper on line.image.png.eb6dd65dd48025e604609e7ffef2d579.png

ahopkins22LSV
On 4/1/2024 at 8:27 AM, Steve B. said:

I don't use it that much, but do love it. It saves getting in the boat when you are cove'ing and you want to adjust volume or skip crappy songs !

On 4/1/2024 at 8:28 AM, cowwboy said:

We use ours a lot. We do quite a bit of swimming and hanging at the beaches so the transom remote is very handy.
I will say my 3 yr old thinks it's funny to play with the volume when it's a song he likes. 

On 4/1/2024 at 8:31 AM, Slayer said:

We use ours all the time.  Definitely worth it.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:24 AM, dalt1 said:

Mounted mine off to the starboard corner instead of the factory center position. Center spot on my older boat often got hit accidently by people climbing in or sitting back there. Off on the side, you can reach it from the water without climbing out of the water to reach over the platform when it is center mounted. I did not use the bezel because I wanted it to blend in with my black gelcoat color and not stand out. Get the harness and get her done. Simple plug and play install. The remote can be found cheaper on line.image.png.eb6dd65dd48025e604609e7ffef2d579.png

One other question for you guys, if you are using your phone on BT or Spotify app on the boat can you skip songs from the remote?

52 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

One other question for you guys, if you are using your phone on BT or Spotify app on the boat can you skip songs from the remote?

Not on mine, but you can cycle thru the various inputs, radio/BT,aux,Sirius.

DRB10SEVEN

Transom remotes are a personal preference/use case dependent. I am a big fan of them personally. I added a transom remote on our last boat and loved it, and now on the Wakesetter when I switched to the Wet Sounds MC-1, I installed the MC-MD 2 instead of a smaller transom remote. My whole crew really likes the full second display on the transom, but I can understand how others would have no use for it.

We have full control of everything from the transom with this setup. Skip, pause, EQ, zone control, etc. We use Spotify, the only time we need to get to the phone is to change the playlist or add specific songs we want to hear.

2_MC_MD__60949__21548.png

ahopkins22LSV
16 minutes ago, DRB10SEVEN said:

Transom remotes are a personal preference/use case dependent. I am a big fan of them personally. I added a transom remote on our last boat and loved it, and now on the Wakesetter when I switched to the Wet Sounds MC-1, I installed the MC-MD 2 instead of a smaller transom remote. My whole crew really likes the full second display on the transom, but I can understand how others would have no use for it.

We have full control of everything from the transom with this setup. Skip, pause, EQ, zone control, etc. We use Spotify, the only time we need to get to the phone is to change the playlist or add specific songs we want to hear.

2_MC_MD__60949__21548.png

Completely understand and I agree. However I want full functionality with the stock stereo system as I’m not looking to replace anything else. I’m in the minority of the online community and I’m actually 100% happy with the stock system. It’s honestly more than we need lol.

4 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Yes.  And as for the original question, we use ours a fair amount, I'm glad we opted for it.  At a sand bar or just hanging out for a swim session it's nice to skip a song (usually when kids are around and lyrics have parental warning) or to adjust volume up or down.  I often mess with the transom remote when I get in the water for a set to get it to the "right" song in the playlist or fast forward when the boat returns to me after falling when I want to hear a different song.  that way driver doesn't have to think about the music, I'll deal with that part :)

• Like 3
DRB10SEVEN
27 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Completely understand and I agree. However I want full functionality with the stock stereo system as I’m not looking to replace anything else. I’m in the minority of the online community and I’m actually 100% happy with the stock system. It’s honestly more than we need lol.

Yeah, understood!

I guess just put me in the "I use a transom remote a lot" camp. Haha

• Like 1

I have a smart watch that allows me to control my music from my wrist. So I don't have a need for a transom remote, so long as I or someone else has a smart watch and playlists available on their phone which is bluetooth'd or AUX'd to the stereo. I just got a bluetooth receiver online ($25 CDN) that hooks into the AUX port so I am eager to try that out this year and then we are cords free on the boat this year. Our boat is a 2011 VLX with stock stereo and no transom remote.

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Transmitter-Simultaneously-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B08TQSH636/ref=sr_1_5?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.RK762S2jJfBwiDi3j3STd79M8VySBJyjja0LBygR55hbrOwtgTgpupmyV-4L5BkD1ou1IASBzN02-djcMnraEprbipKXhkeqXUIOtyRyO87d8RHLBjKPPNxSy7U5LGrnJdswnvie7n-Zt-0X7abeU2CBvhRbZUJuphmT2Llwy-2Tr6Q19FlMWNt33NVueFwUuqKXEyMTkbRfqILJGIKtEnMF7ouJlp28Tc-IY8IxdF3RRhFeHRJ-anvW0cGogAhSLY2q4vfDyz6xBUbfHg-FtG2D6OEn1VHZe539xn_9dD4.YVIIpmhIFQsKlsR2cXN-hc1sj1V-W0iA8KCjwrp1-aA&dib_tag=se&hvadid=667799439325&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001247&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16396811165292519419&hvtargid=kwd-318370808546&hydadcr=27679_14705406&keywords=bluetooth+ugreen&qid=1712243850&sr=8-5

The only time we use it is when my wife drives the boat.  She wants someone else to be in charge of the music and volume.  She says she's concentrating too hard on driving duties!  So whoever is the rope catcher, will also take over volume control.

It’s one of those options I’ve always ordered on all my boats but looking back I question why I got it.  Mostly just use it for pausing or adjusting music if I’m on the back after surfing. Would use it more if we spent more time floating. 

On 4/4/2024 at 6:23 AM, ahopkins22LSV said:

Yes.

• Like 1

Ours gets used all the time.  It's generally the kids using it when they're back there.  However, when floating or swimming, we use it too.  It's something I don't know if I'd miss if I didn't have it, but every boat I've had except my 1997 SSLX has had it and now I think it's just something that we'll always have. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

@NorCalSurfer I noticed in your camera thread that you have a wetsounds stereo transom controller. Did you add that to the stock stereo setup or did you do your own stereo install?

NorCalSurfer
4 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

@NorCalSurfer I noticed in your camera thread that you have a wetsounds stereo transom controller. Did you add that to the stock stereo setup or did you do your own stereo install?

I was able to order it from the factory. It is great for when anchored. You can skip songs when playing music via Bluetooth but can’t skip songs when playing through Spotify if using through the system. You can adjust the volume though. 

• Like 1

So question for you all. I am not using a wet sound remote but a different less expensive unit. It says water resistant but does that mean rainwater resistant as well?

3 years and I have never used it once. Even if we are swimming someone is in the boat.   Or Bluetooth with the apple watch and you can adjust music and volume.