Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX - JBL Marine Upgrade

RIPP52VLX

Hey folks, 

The JBL Marine head unit and remote (REM45) are causing me issues, with only the five button clusters near the steering wheel allowing me to control the stereo. Thinking it may be time for an upgrade, however, I do not want to lose the capability of controlling the volume from the five-button cluster. 

Are there any vendors selling the replacement head and remote units, or just put in a whole new head unit system?

The current system includes the JBL Marine unit in the port side locker, head unit (Left front of driver seat), and rear boat remote unit which both connect to a REXW-13 adapter.  Both the main and remote controls were working intermittently, but now, not functional. I have had to disconnect both from the REXW-13 adapter to get the 5 buttons to control. 

Let's see what kinda setups you recommend. Amps and speakers have been upgrade through the years and all sound great. The new system will again run through my WetSounds WS-420.   

I went through this a few years back. Unfortunately there is nothing out there that will work with the MUX buttons. New units today have updated code that won’t work. I searched everywhere trying to find something. Nada. Ended up just abandoning the MUX buttons and installed a remote head by the throttle. Here’s a thread discussing it with photos of my install.

Looking to replace the rear remote, as well as the main remote/head unit between the front walk way. 

One concern is replacing the REM45. I am wondering what holes I need to accommodate/cover up with the new remote. Does anyone have information on how the REM45 is mounted? (Boat is currently in storage) Thanks