Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Wakesetter Spring Servicing Question

Parkerbw85

I recently had my Malibu Wakesetter winterized at a boat dealer for winter storage.  With boat season approaching I was curious if I need to bring it in for a follow up service to make it lake ready?  This is first time owning a an inboard and having it winterized so I wasn't quite sure what was needed before putting boat back in the water...

Also, is bringing it back to dealer for a follow up service overkill?  In other words is it just basic maintenance to get it back lake ready that can be DIY?  

Thanks

Make sure all hoses, knock sensors, drain plugs and impeller is in place. If so hook it up to water supply and fire it up to check for leaks. No dealer needed.

unless they left any hoses unhooked it should just be a matter of putting the drain plugs back in the boat.   A lot of bigger shops just run antifreeze through the engines until they are at a certain level.   But you could call the dealer and see what they did.  Most of the time I think de-winterization is a gimmick

Definitely call them and ask if you aren't familiar. As said above, make sure that impeller is in, block drain plugs, knock sensor, hoses, etc. Including battery hook up. Dealers leave them in different states of ready, a quick call won't hurt.

Parkerbw85
1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

Make sure all hoses, knock sensors, drain plugs and impeller is in place. If so hook it up to water supply and fire it up to check for leaks. No dealer needed.

Appreciated!

Parkerbw85
1 hour ago, SkiPablo said:

unless they left any hoses unhooked it should just be a matter of putting the drain plugs back in the boat.   A lot of bigger shops just run antifreeze through the engines until they are at a certain level.   But you could call the dealer and see what they did.  Most of the time I think de-winterization is a gimmick

Appreciated!

Parkerbw85
46 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Definitely call them and ask if you aren't familiar. As said above, make sure that impeller is in, block drain plugs, knock sensor, hoses, etc. Including battery hook up. Dealers leave them in different states of ready, a quick call won't hurt.

Appreciated !

Don't mind me adding, that when you do first start the engine that it always stay's out of gear. Immediately look for oil pressure on the gauge and water exiting both exhaust ports within seconds. Look for leaks. Hopefully no alarms, and you can slowly let it warm up near idle, with the transmission lock-out engaged so it cannot go into gear and spin the prop shaft while warming up. Watch the temp gauge also and exhausts again and make sure the temp will not shoot up and overheat for whatever reason. Keep a fire extinguisher around, and hopefully someone to give a 2nd hand and eyes.

formulaben

Great advice from @Steve B..  I always go out by myself or with one trusted crew member on the first outing of the year.  I typically have the exterior polished and waxed, and I'm in no hurry as it's usually an empty ramp anyway.  I will be sure to have nothing big planned except maybe a fun interior cleaning session with a sack lunch while I make sure she's good to go...

I will keep her still attached to the trailer (bow stop) and patiently check her over and look for any leaks.  Let her come up to temp while you look at all the operating specs (oil pressure, water temp, system voltage) with the engine hatch open and ensure that all is good; no fuel leaks, exhaust risers not getting hot and no obvious water leaks.  This is also a good time to fill ballast to visually check for leaks, as those ballast bag threaded adapters seem to need a little hand tightening every season it seems. 

A shaft packing may have shrunk/dried out during winter, so it's OK to have some water coming in from that area, but otherwise it should be a low-stress time to make sure all is well before having the pressure of guests/crew/family unintentionally coercing you to expedite the process.  Next, I head out and just do a fun ride to make sure all is well with the drivetrain and then find a fun place to park and finish any needed interior cleaning while I selfishly get to choose my tunes and enjoy the spring sun...simple pleasures. 

Doing this early in the season gives me confidence that when the "boating friends" show up for the first 'real' outing I won't be embarrassed with any issues to ruin my day on the lake, and the boat will look great too. ;) 

• Like 3
Parkerbw85
18 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Don't mind me adding, that when you do first start the engine that it always stay's out of gear. Immediately look for oil pressure on the gauge and water exiting both exhaust ports within seconds. Look for leaks. Hopefully no alarms, and you can slowly let it warm up near idle, with the transmission lock-out engaged so it cannot go into gear and spin the prop shaft while warming up. Watch the temp gauge also and exhausts again and make sure the temp will not shoot up and overheat for whatever reason. Keep a fire extinguisher around, and hopefully someone to give a 2nd hand and eyes.

Sounds great thanks !

On 3/19/2024 at 2:47 AM, formulaben said:

I always go out by myself or with one trusted crew member on the first outing of the year.

I just launch my daughter (in the picture to the left) and tell her, "Keep your phone above water and call me if it sinks.

Edited by electricjohn