Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Johnson F6B Impeller pump replacement

Looks like I have one more project to tackle this spring, I am getting a slow drip coming from the impeller housing on my Raptor 410.  Definitely not from the cover, I called Bakes and they sell the entire housing w/impeller for a reasonable price.  I also can try and replace the inner seal but not sure how successful this usually is.  Has anyone here replaced their impeller housing or the inner seal on a Raptor?  Seems like a pretty straight forward job.  I cant seem to find anything on this on the forum.

Edited by Fman
formulaben

It's really quite easy.  I did it myself, so it can't be too difficult!  Hat tip to @justgary for the info, and to @Bozboat for the tutorial.

NOTE: the only recommendation I would add is to mark the pump base and the harmonic balancer for orientation when you reassemble.  I put mine back on and had a good wobble...rotated it and was back to normal.  I got lucky: I had a 50/50 chance since it's 3 bolts, but not a lot of fun when you're on the water. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Thank you for the above links...

I ordered the new F6B pump from Bakes.  After pricing out a new seal, shipping and new impeller (comes with the F6B complete pump) it was only about a $125 swing vs. replacing the seal, new pump housing has all new bearings and should last for years.  Great idea on marking the flange for reference on the new one.  Fortunately the new-er designs of Wakesetters with those removable storage trays makes the pump easily accessible.  This would have been a real PIA on my 2011/2013 VLX's!

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-johnson-f6b-high-flow-oem-raw-water-pump.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw48-vBhBbEiwAzqrZVJMmvJstMVj8cPH3oYOG7LMl-ointpFIIs0LGgn3UPeCCNJEG2v08xoCEiAQAvD_BwE

One more question is there a torque spec on those 3 bolts off the harmonic balancer?

Edited by Fman
Posted (edited)

Was able to remove and install the new F6B pump yesterday.  Overall not a terrible experience but definitely not fun crawling around in the cave of death!  I also put together a short Youtube video for anyone else who might end up having to do this.  So far leak free after the hose test, fingers crossed.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2