Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family... (Tow Vehicle)

SkipGundlach

52 minutes ago, SkipGundlach said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.  My apologies for not having chimed in until now; somehow my notification button wasn't present on my posting, and thus I'm not "following" this thread, and get no emails of replies.

At this time the owner (my son; it's for the VRBO and his sons that this boat is being bought or it would be a pure ski boat - with the same challenges) wants to wait until we are moved from FL to NE GA where the boat will be centered.  As seen in another thread, we have the target boat (21' 02 sunsetter, no tower - which is another thread I started) under contract in MI: when the snow clears reliably, I'll fly up to do a survey and sea trial, at which point my son will have it shipped to him.  But he's even more frugal than I so I very much doubt he'll want to get something at over $7500, and the Admiral (we lived on a boat for 15 years) wants total reliability other than oil changes and new tires as needed, and thus the likely 100K boundary unless a private one-owner with full service records.

(The above just a reminder as some of the respondents appear to have missed it along the way - small budget, nitpicky umpire enabled with ejection rights...)

Thanks for all the responses so far, and if you can tell me how to get notifications in my email now that the thread is already started, please drop me a note via text 770-887-0397 or email my name, all one word, at gmail, as I don't get notifications here :/

L8R

Skip

Just click the follow button at the top.  And I'd get that phone number deleted before the bots get it ;)

1 hour ago, SkipGundlach said:

But he's even more frugal than I so I very much doubt he'll want to get something at over $7500, and the Admiral (we lived on a boat for 15 years) wants total reliability other than oil changes and new tires as needed, and thus the likely 100K boundary unless a private one-owner with full service records.(The above just a reminder as some of the respondents appear to have missed it along the way - small budget, nitpicky umpire enabled with ejection rights...)

Skip

I ran a search in autotrader for all makes and models, under $7500, under 100K miles with trailer hitch and there were 6 hits within 500 miles of me.  None of them looked like real tow vehicles.  You might be shopping for a while but might get lucky.  Good luck.  

SkipGundlach
38 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just click the follow button at the top.  And I'd get that phone number deleted before the bots get it ;)

Thanks for the concern, but it's a google voice number and they do a marvelous job of spamblocking...

And, I went into my profile and hit the email button for all the various places (my and other posts) I'm seen in, so I think I have it.  But previously I couldn't make the 'follow' button do anything - but mucking around in the profile made it work.

And while I still haven't found the way to make photos come along, the profile didn't require a URL, so I put one up where the little shadow head used to be in the upper left hand corner ☺  

And, mysteriously, there's now a slider at the bottom left, with a follow directive.  I think I may be covere!

Again, thanks to all assisting, in various ways...

22 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I ran a search in autotrader for all makes and models, under $7500, under 100K miles with trailer hitch and there were 6 hits within 500 miles of me.  None of them looked like real tow vehicles.  You might be shopping for a while but might get lucky.  Good luck.  

It's like the old joke of the kid and the pile of horses*** at his birthday party: there's bound to be a pony in there, somewhere!

I actually had one I thought was perfect in my sights, but my son deferred vehicular shopping until I got to GA. (https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicle/709611117, in case anyone here can use it; near Orlando - the dealer bought it at the auction about a week ago, and he's still got it - and the KBB on it even with the <100K miles suggests there's room for negotiation)...

It looks like enough tow rating.  I am not really familiar with that model or engine but it certainly could work.  

That would probably be the bare minimum of what i would look at to tow with, and to be honest I would be terrified to tow with that thing.

Another solid option is a Porsche Cayenne with the V8 (Cayenne S). Easy to drive around the city and incredibly solid, plenty of towing power too. I had a 08 Cayenne Turbo and hauled my 2001 Sunsetter around like it wasn't even back there.

I have one of those GMC Envoys as beater, and to be honest, I would never to a 21’ Sunsetter with it.  It’s just too big for my comfort.  I would consider towing a Response or a 15-17’ fishing boat.  Nothing larger.  

Some of the models mentioned above offer versions that include 4 wheel low. Especially if you get a 6-cyl. That'll make it so much easier on the drivetrain and the boat.

martinarcher

An Excursion would also fit your bill but the budget is going to be tough.  They are out there but they are more like the 8.1 Suburban Shawn mentioned.  A clean low mileage diesel is 35-50k these days.  A V10 a little rough around the edges with 100kish on the clock would be much closer to the budget and have lots of life left and tow very well.

Something like this.  You most likely will have to drive to get it since deals are harder to find.  There are several good FB Excursion groups as well.

https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/buy/ford/excursion/2003/1FMNU43S43ED32055?listingId=695247288

On 3/13/2024 at 5:23 AM, dalt1 said:

Nissan Armada or Titan trucks are very capable of the towing task. I use my 05 Titan for towing my boats that are way over your towed weight. 

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/grayson-2005-nissan-titan-le-4x4-crew/7727707182.html

I do like the titans for the money.  The exhaust manifolds are the weak point on these ones right?  And the brakes?  But you'd have to figure the brakes would've long been sorted by now.  Our old qx56 pulled great till I made it do battle with too much boat over sierra mountain passes.  

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/grayson-2005-nissan-titan-le-4x4-crew/7727707182.html

I do like the titans for the money.  The exhaust manifolds are the weak point on these ones right?  And the brakes?  But you'd have to figure the brakes would've long been sorted by now.  Our old qx56 pulled great till I made it do battle with too much boat over sierra mountain passes.  

That is a CLEAN 05 that had nearly every option when new. The receiver hitches back then were even rated for 1,000 tongue and 10,000 lbs towing. Yes manifolds crack regularly but so do other oem manifolds. I just put JBA headers and cat back exhaust on mine after 19 years. Both manifolds were cracked and probably had been for years with no issues. The brakes on 05 - 07 were weak. Most upgraded to 08 Armada front rotors and calipers which are bigger. I did that about 5 years ago. No way I would sell mine for that $ but I only have 57,000 miles on mine.image.thumb.png.66f3ef0f7996a1e8b03c08ea0b363b4c.png

I'd piggy back a bit on what Shawdoggy posted but add that time wears things out like miles do (ok maybe in a different way), such that higher miles but newer can be a lot more reliable in the right vehicle.   I'd put a newer, 150-175K well maintained Honda or Toyota above a lot of older American SUVs with less miles as far as reliability is concerned.  Just food for thought.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3
SkipGundlach

Taking a deep breath...

I did some research, and my van is rated for 3800# towing, but with a factory (presumed; this post is about that part) tow package (https://trailers.com/tow-capacity/index.php?action=do_search&year=2005&make=Chrysler&model=Town and Country&template=normal).  Dry weight likely would nudge past that number, and 212# fuel and toys add perhaps 3 hundred pounds

Given that the expected use of the vehicle in the original post will be a relatively level (some hills, maybe 1/4 mile max, very shallow) 5-10 minute (I've not timed it) run for fuel and return-to-lake or for seasonal storage (both gas station and storage close to the ramp), if I retrofit my 101K, carefully maintained van to a factory-tow-package level, can I do that?  Retrofit has to be less expensive than starting over, and my van is otherwise a cream puff and I'm loathe to lose it in a trade or private sale equity swap (my son would pay me for the difference in a replacement tow vehicle against the sale of the van, or the cost of retrofit, so cost isn't terribly relevant other than the previously discussed preference not to lose the van).

The most likely/optimistic/pessimistic realities might have me making 25 trips a year with the greater likelihood of rather fewer.

Would YOU do it?

I would not want to be overweight (or even near the limit) on the back end of a front wheel drive vehicle on a wet boat ramp. 

while 4wd isn’t necessary to tow a boat down the road, it is sometimes necessary to get a boat out of the water.  More so on steeper or slicker ramps. 

1 hour ago, SkipGundlach said:

Taking a deep breath...

Would YOU do it?

No I would not. I am not a MV snob as we had two T&C MVs back when we were hauling preschoolers and buying diapers in bulk.  Amazing number of cup holders. Great vehicle.  Don’t spend a nickel trying to make it tow your boat. 

• Like 1
redrooster

Unfortunately, besides living on a boat, you have also been living in fantasy land.  

You could find a late 90's or early 2000, but they will all be over 100k.  If not you'll be paying 15k.  

I'd maybe rethink the U-haul idea for a summer. Use your van to move the boat around your property as necessary. Rent a U-haul to tow the boat to the lake, followed by the van with all the stuff. Zero maintenance to worry about, save cache for future tow vehicle.

I did it for several years and may again. So nice using a brand new truck only when you need one. My situation is similar. Lakes close by, all easy towing and ramps.

Edited by Steve B.
SkipGundlach
15 minutes ago, redrooster said:

Unfortunately, besides living on a boat, you have also been living in fantasy land.  

You could find a late 90's or early 2000, but they will all be over 100k.  If not you'll be paying 15k.  

Ehhhhh...

See my post yesterday at 10:51.

Yes it will take some looking, but I expect I can find something which could pull my boat and some fuel... 

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I would not want to be overweight (or even near the limit) on the back end of a front wheel drive vehicle on a wet boat ramp. 

while 4wd isn’t necessary to tow a boat down the road, it is sometimes necessary to get a boat out of the water.  More so on steeper or slicker ramps. 

Father in law had a long line of Chrysler mini vans from work that were used to tow his response.  It was pretty normal to have 2 of us perched on the hood to get enough traction to get it out of water.

• Haha 2
SkipGundlach

I believe I'm convinced it's something else than my van for moving the boat, dangit.

Thanks for the help/personal evidence of challenges...

redrooster
23 hours ago, martinarcher said:

An Excursion would also fit your bill but the budget is going to be tough.  They are out there but they are more like the 8.1 Suburban Shawn mentioned.  A clean low mileage diesel is 35-50k these days.  A V10 a little rough around the edges with 100kish on the clock would be much closer to the budget and have lots of life left and tow very well.

Something like this.  You most likely will have to drive to get it since deals are harder to find.  There are several good FB Excursion groups as well.

https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/buy/ford/excursion/2003/1FMNU43S43ED32055?listingId=695247288

Oh boy.  I wonder how bad the rust is.  

You mention you will use the tow vehicle to take the boat in and out once per year and pull it to get gas when needed.  I don’t know how your boat will be moored and where you will store your trailer, but another option would be the uhaul for the in and out one per year, then 5 or 6 gas cans when you need at the lake.  For me, Filling with gas cans is much less work than hooking up the trailer, going to the ramp, getting the boat on the trailer, towing to gas station, getting boat back in the water, parking boat, then parking trailer, then going back to boat to use it.  Multiply that frustration x10 if you have a busy ramp.

• Like 2