Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family... (Tow Vehicle)

SkipGundlach

SkipGundlach

We have a 2002 boat under contract - and nothing to tow it with.  It will require a, barely (~4500#), Class 3 hitch capable (ideally outfitted that way from the factory) vehicle, and the Admiral wants it to be mechanically reliable.  It mostly will be used to run to the gas station (no nearby marina on the lake, even if I were willing to pay another buck a gallon), with the occasional road trip.

We MAY bite the bullet and go to 5 figures - but it's distinctly not a preference.  I'm giving up a 100K miles 2005 Town and Country extended Stow-and-Go van in perfect condition in order to make this happen.

Just for conversation's sake, if you had $7500 as your budget, Van, SUV, extended-cab pickup all ok:  Year unimportant, so long as it could document reliability, and already had a Class 3 hitch system (electrical, transmission, radiator suited to the job) installed, what would you look for which would easily manage that load and, ideally, a few passengers?  All things considered, quieter is better, but I don't want my begs to get in the way of the askit ☺

Thanks so much for the hive mind.

L8R

Skip

I have had a number of Tahoes with the 3rd row seating over the years up until I got into my LSV’s. At 4500lbs and being in FL even the 5.3L would serve you well I bet. Plus you will still have some reasonable and somewhat tailorable room. 

• Like 3

Second the 2000s 5.3 Gm. Those things are indestructible if treated properly. Take your pick between Tahoe, suburban or 1500. 

Volkswagen Touareg or Audi Q7 would be solid options but harder to find one for that price range in good shape. 

German SUV’s are some of the best for towing for their size but be sure to get a third party inspection done at a shop that’s familiar with them. 

2009-2015 honda pilot comes with a hitch and rated for 4500 if you get a 4x4 version.   Some models you have to add the wiring.   I have one and it tows fine (not awesome but good enough)   I have also used a Ford Explorer V6 and I have a Pathfinder V6.

Think about using U-haul. I did it for a long time... and may go back to it. Anyway, new vehicles, cheap. They include assistance, even if it's your boat trailer. 

Whatever you get, make sure it’s 4wd.  Lest you end up on Broncos Guru. If 2wd and the drive wheels get wet, you’re in for a rough day. 

First, I’d double check the weight of your boat. Published weights are notoriously light. 4500 pounds on paper could easily turn into 6000 pounds in reality. 

You mention occasional road trip. That also may change things. But that is up to you. 

Full size SUVs would be a good option. But they hold their value very well. You may be in the 150,000 mile + range. Is the Admiral ok with that?

IMO, the best budget tow vehicle, all things considered, would be a full size van. Either Ford or GM (maybe the Nissan). V8 engine, heavy duty transmission, and much more affordable than an SUV. As long as your ramps will work with a rear drive vehicle. 

I'm with cole and wdr, mid 00's GM half ton truck or suv depending on what you can find. 

The 5.3 is a very solid motor and by this time in age the 4l60 will most likely already be rebuilt. 

Finding one that has been well maintained would be more important to me then miles at this point in their age. 

Gen 3 Hemi Ram crew cab (2009 - 2018).  Plenty of power to tow whatever the boat actually weighs and factory hitch is a class 4.

Edited by oldjeep

If at all possible I would shy away from an suv. I will not use our old 2006 Tahoe or my wife’s Jeep grand Cherokee to get fuel unless I absolutely have to. I worry about fuel spill and vapors in an enclosed vehicle. 

1 hour ago, COOP said:

I towed for years with my WK Grand Cherokee with a Hemi. 

Grand Cherokees work fairly well as a tow vehicle.  7200 pound tow rating with the Hemi or EcoDiesel.  

IMG_5950.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

If at all possible I would shy away from an suv. I will not use our old 2006 Tahoe or my wife’s Jeep grand Cherokee to get fuel unless I absolutely have to. I worry about fuel spill and vapors in an enclosed vehicle. 

You put the fuel in the boat ;)  Otherwise - yeah, if you are hauling gas cans with an SUV - get one of those trailer hitch basket things and keep them outside the vehicle.

28 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You put the fuel in the boat ;)  Otherwise - yeah, if you are hauling gas cans with an SUV - get one of those trailer hitch basket things and keep them outside the vehicle.

I use my Ram 3500. 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I just put the gas into the boat gas tank ;)

Kinda hard to tie the 50’ houseboat to the station😂😂😂

2000s GM.  If you can find one that's not rusted out, it'll run forever and parts are cheap.  Ask if the idler arm and steering/front end have been redone.  That was pre rack-and-pinion.

We have a first generation Toyota Sequoia.  I highly recommend as the 4.7 engine/trans is bulletproof, and it drives much smaller than its size and it is very much in your price range at $6-8k for one with 150-200k miles.  All have the factory installed hitch/harness.  Ours has 240k miles and is rock solid and rattle free and we use it to tow our 2001 23LSV

redrooster

Find an early 2000 gmc or chevy suburban 2500 with the 8.1.  You can find them in the later 90's as well, but the early 2000 had more creature comforts.  My neighbor has a late 90's 2500 suburban and he can tow a house.   

Best part is they can be had for 5k if you look. And parts are plentiful.  

Worst part is the fuel mileage. 

On 3/15/2024 at 7:47 AM, redrooster said:

Find an early 2000 gmc or chevy suburban 2500 with the 8.1.  You can find them in the later 90's as well, but the early 2000 had more creature comforts.  My neighbor has a late 90's 2500 suburban and he can tow a house.   

Best part is they can be had for 5k if you look. And parts are plentiful.  

Worst part is the fuel mileage. 

agree with this.  My in-laws have an early 2000s class c motorhome with that 8.1L and it runs great.  Goes over mountain passes with ease.  It drives circles around any of the V10 Ford motorhomes in its class. 

SkipGundlach
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the replies so far.  My apologies for not having chimed in until now; somehow my notification button wasn't present on my posting, and thus I'm not "following" this thread, and get no emails of replies.

At this time the owner (my son; it's for the VRBO and his sons that this boat is being bought or it would be a pure ski boat - with the same challenges) wants to wait until we are moved from FL to NE GA where the boat will be centered.  As seen in another thread, we have the target boat (21' 02 sunsetter, no tower - which is another thread I started) under contract in MI: when the snow clears reliably, I'll fly up to do a survey and sea trial, at which point my son will have it shipped to him.  But he's even more frugal than I so I very much doubt he'll want to get something at over $7500, and the Admiral (we lived on a boat for 15 years) wants total reliability other than oil changes and new tires as needed, and thus the likely 100K boundary unless a private one-owner with full service records.

(The above just a reminder as some of the respondents appear to have missed it along the way - small budget, nitpicky umpire enabled with ejection rights...)

Thanks for all the responses so far, and if you can tell me how to get notifications in my email now that the thread is already started, please drop me a note via email my name, all one word, at gmail, as I don't get notifications here :/

L8R

Skip

Edited by SkipGundlach