Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trip to Seattle - Suggestions?

REHinH20

Bringing Wife and youngest to Seattle for his last high school spring break.  Would love some suggestions of things to do that I might not hear about otherwise.  Maybe something not so touristy!?!

Although touristy I would check out pikes place fish market and the gum wall but definitely don’t waste much time. Pier 57 and the Ferris wheel if you haven’t done it. 

If you aren’t from the coast whale watching is an experience. 

Can spend a day or two doing the Seattle stuff - wheel, needle, Pikes Place, aquarium, then get the heck out of Seattle, go north and enjoy our beautiful state. Tulip fields up by Mt Vernon are just waking up, ferry boat ride to Whidbey Is  - could drive on in Mukilteo, drive north across the island over Deception Pass then east to I5 and back down south toward the tulips. You are tiiming the weather perfect - sun's coming out tomorrow, hi 60's by Sunday, sunny thru Tuesday - I'm going skiing!!  Hope you enjoy our state. I would spend alot more time out of the city if it were me.

• Like 2

Leavenworth is our favorite place in Washington. We spend a lot of time there.

In the direct Seattle metro area:

The museum of flight is pretty awesome. The Starbucks reserve tour is cool along with the Ballard locks.  The troll is always a good attraction but kinda weird.   Don’t leave out Bellevue.  It’s a much nicer city.  Better high end restaurants and a fairly clean area compared to Seattle.  

Tulips might be out.  Snoqalmie falls are impressive and a short drive.  Ruston way in Tacoma has really come a long ways also.  As noted deception pass is great.  Jets practicing on beautiful Whidbey is fun if you can time it.  

Edited by stang233
  • Like 2

Early for tulips but I think the daffodils are popping.  If you like tents, lots of those to see in Seattle :(

Coworker really likes the Burke museum. +1 for museum of flight, try to do it on a weekday, same for the islands. Leavenworth is a cute town, too touristy for my taste.

redrooster

Seattle isn't the vacation destination it once was.  The owner of my company went to pike place to see the fishes being thrown, I asked him how was it?

He said " I didn't see any fishes being thrown, but I saw a lot crack being smoked!"  

I agree. Head up north or south. 

On 3/13/2024 at 9:32 AM, oldjeep said:

Head south to LakeChelan ;) 

Lake Chelan is east, not south ;)

Edited by Pnwrider
Forgot the emoji
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Well jeez, only been there once a long time ago.  Always thought it was south.  Guess not

It was news to me also.  I always thought you had to head Left to go anywhere near Seattle.

• Haha 2
On 3/12/2024 at 5:52 PM, Pilotguy said:

I would go check out the Boeing Factory. It’s an impressive outfit 

I hear they have an open door policy to all visitors ! 

Take ferry to Bainbridge island. Walk around, grab lunch.  Suggest planning to take the ferry back during dusk...especially this weekend. You will not be disappointed.

You nailed it weather wise.  Enjoy your trip.  The only downside is on the the 2 bridges is closed this weekend so traffic is terrible.  Site won’t let me add a photo for some reason (all black)  

Edited by RCorsa

If you go to Whidbey island, check out Langley and Ft Casey.  As mentioned, Leavenworth, Snoqualmie Falls and ferry rides are cool. If you like hikes, there are a lot in the foothills (PooPoo Point, Mailbox, etc).

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The trip was great!  We stayed just a couple of blocks up the hill from Lake Union in a VRBO.  We did the usual Pike Market, Space Needle at sunset and Chihuly Gardens, of all of those the Glass Museum was my favorite, even with all us tourists around!  We drove up north to see the tulips, but were a little early.  The Daffodils were just starting to fade, so still nice, but not the color contrast I expected from the tulips.  We spend lots of time downtown eating and enjoying some great Washington Wines.  Unfortunately we didn't allow enough time to do all we wanted to , but definitely enjoyed what we did!  The sun was shining the whole time we were there, it seemed to make everyone REALLY happy, and they all made comments about the sun!

Edited by REHinH20
  • Like 2