Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2024 25lsv vs 2024 supra se550

grinch55

On 3/12/2024 at 7:26 AM, dizzygti said:

Can I ask why?   As a former powertrain engineer who has conducted a lot of durability/power certification dynos, I'm curious why there seems to be a common thought that high rpms are destructive.    Is this based on previous failures or just general recommendations that have been passed on?   

Previous failure of my 2007 Indmar Monsoon 240. 

dizzygti
1 hour ago, DRB10SEVEN said:

My jealousy is immeasurable and my day is ruined. :lol:

Oh.  I was surfing last night too. 🤪  Wife was not happy with the water temps.  🤣

9 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Previous failure of my 2007 Indmar Monsoon 240. 

How did it fail and how did you conclude sustained rpms are what killed it? 

20240312_190521.jpg

20240312_190727.jpg

1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

The OEM I used to work for would run engines for 100 hours at peak torque and 400 hours at redline/WOT

Were these engines under heavy load. 
I have had bad experience with sustained high rpms. I did not lose the engine right away. But I made a long 30 minute high rpm run(I was  late and the wife wasn’t happy😂😂)and had problems shortly after. It is not just the engine. I lost the catalyst in the V manifold. . That in turn caused engine problems. 
Obviously this is just my opinion but also my experience. 
Will I run short burst high rpm? Absolutely,  I will only hold high rpm for a very short time. 

Let’s take this to another thread. This is Malibu Vs Supra. 

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 1
dizzygti
2 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Were these engines under heavy load. 

Yes, load bearing dynos.  Think exhaust and cats glowing.  And I've taken this thread way off topic, a apologies! 

10 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

Yes, load bearing dynos.  Think exhaust and cats glowing.  And I've taken this thread way off topic, a apologies! 

were those 8 year old powertrains that had been mothballed seven times for periods of 6-8 months at a time?  Operated by a sunburned guy in a bathing suit a couple of beers in, with music bumping and only a temperature gauge to look at?

dizzygti
20 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

were those 8 year old powertrains that had been mothballed seven times for periods of 6-8 months at a time?  Operated by a sunburned guy in a bathing suit a couple of beers in, with music bumping and only a temperature gauge to look at?

The longest my boat sat was 12/24/23 to 2/3/24 this year, so doesn't apply to me.   Sitting an engine doesn't affect the metallurgy, neither does it's age (assuming not operating outside design parameters, ake tuned) just the seals drying out.   And they all run on ECUs, the only thing the sunburned guy controls is the throttle.  🤪

My first boat I had decades ago was an IO Hammond Eldorado.  (What??) It had a 302 ford. Looking at the owner manual it stated that after breakin procedures were completed, the motor could run at 5000rpm (redline) CONTINOUSLY.  I was like..wow. had a new respect for boat motors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 5:51 PM, Slayer said:

I'll give you one comment on the M6 at sea level.  I've got a 2022 25LSV with the M6.  I've never been in a situation where I felt like I needed more power.  However, I also understand the more engine is better dynamic and if I lived or used my boat at any elevation greater than 2000', I'd likely have ordered it with the Supercharged engine.  I've got mine propped favorably for my use and would argue that propping it correctly is worth your effort.  

There is no way to say which is a better choice.  Much of it is subjective, but if your dealer is trustworthy and upfront, that's more important to me than anything.  

Resale.......I think this is regionally specific to a certain degree.  In my home market, Malibu, Nautique, and MC hold better values than nearly all other brands.  There aren't many Supra dealers around here, but there are 4 Malibu dealers, 4 MC dealers, and 2 Nautique dealers around here.  That has much to do with the resale issue.  

Build quality......I think all major brands have come a long way in the last several years.  I can't comment specifically on Supra but I will say overall I think most brands (Less Tige', MB) have decent build quality.  The best thing, IMO, is to get in and behind each you're considering and allow your on water experience to influence the purchase.  Both will do what you need them to and do it well.  The rest is subjective, IMO, cost being equal.  

We live at 4000 feet and had a 23 MXZ with the M6. Full ballast and a crew of 6-7 we could get up to wakeboard speeds. It did take a little while.  We now a have a 23 M220 with the M6.  Heck we even spend time at 5-6000 feet at our local lakes and Tahoe.  All we do is surf and I still don't think I am willing to shell out the extra 15-16k for the LT4.  

Supra is by far a better built boat and more detail is put into them. If you are already asking about re-sell before you bought the boat, Id say you've already lost out.  None of these boats are an investment and none of them have a good re-sell for the most part.  Especially in today's market.  

• Like 2