Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2024 25lsv vs 2024 supra se550

grinch55

grinch55

Hello all,

Looking for some guidance on a new boat purchase. As stated looking at a 2024 Malibu 25lsv and a 2024 supra se550, both will be brand new for let's say exactly the same money (albeit the Malibu lists slightly higher). The distance to dealer (both seem great) is about the same. 

Both boats being pretty well identical with the major differences being:

Supra- pros: supercharged with power tower.

Cons: 2 pair of 8's on the tower, flip up seating in read instead of better looking built in. Have to order, exactly how we want, should be on around mid May (be emphasis on should as I'm unsure how reliable that is)

Malibu- Pros: availability right now, better rear seating, higher MSRP for same deal price.

Ons: m6di with manual tower, not the colors we would choose but not hateful. 

We went and looked at a Malibu 25lsv and it was great. Have not seen a supra in person.

We boat near sea level and don't take massive amounts of people out. However. I'm a big fan of having the biggest motor option available. The power tower is nice, but we would hardly use it, just thinking about resale 

Here's my questions, as we would only keep it a year or two before trading:

1. Which is the better choice (impossible I know)

2. Is the motor difference worth waiting for

3. Is the resale greatly different between the two of cared for equally. 

4. Build quality. Overall feel of one vs the other

I'll give you one comment on the M6 at sea level.  I've got a 2022 25LSV with the M6.  I've never been in a situation where I felt like I needed more power.  However, I also understand the more engine is better dynamic and if I lived or used my boat at any elevation greater than 2000', I'd likely have ordered it with the Supercharged engine.  I've got mine propped favorably for my use and would argue that propping it correctly is worth your effort.  

There is no way to say which is a better choice.  Much of it is subjective, but if your dealer is trustworthy and upfront, that's more important to me than anything.  

Resale.......I think this is regionally specific to a certain degree.  In my home market, Malibu, Nautique, and MC hold better values than nearly all other brands.  There aren't many Supra dealers around here, but there are 4 Malibu dealers, 4 MC dealers, and 2 Nautique dealers around here.  That has much to do with the resale issue.  

Build quality......I think all major brands have come a long way in the last several years.  I can't comment specifically on Supra but I will say overall I think most brands (Less Tige', MB) have decent build quality.  The best thing, IMO, is to get in and behind each you're considering and allow your on water experience to influence the purchase.  Both will do what you need them to and do it well.  The rest is subjective, IMO, cost being equal.  

You looking at a 2024 model Supra?  All new power tower and stereo for 2024. Great sound with the 22 speaker 5 amp set up. The Supra Boatmate HD trailer option is above the Malibu in house trailer. 

Dm me or go look up my Defecting thread for a lot more of my impressions after 1 year. Many standard features with Supra, power tower, battery charger, fire extinguisher, RBG lighting through out. Better flooring GatorStep instead of Malibu in house flooring.

You’re in an awesome predicament.  On a Malibu owners forum you’ll definitely get folks telling you to go Bu all the way.  But look up a member @dalt1    He’s a resident defector who now owns a really nice Supra and his posts can give you a first hand experience.  
having been on a new Supra as well, the homegrown sound system (with the integrated tower speakers) is awesome.  
Supra Tower 2

edit: Dalt1 chimed in before I hit send!

Edited by Nick55

Supra quality is fantastic. I spend lots of  my time on one of 4 different Supra models and they hold up great. I still have yet to surf a Malibu or Axis product but the SE wave is amazing! Interior quality is super nice, a lot of my buddies boats range from 2018 to 2022 and the interiors look excellent for the use they get. With the new sound system its easy to get hung up on it having smaller tower speakers, but overall sound is incredible. 

I think that "resale" is impossible to predict unless you are planning on flipping pretty often.  

What about fuel requirements - can you get the premium fuel likely required for the supercharged motor everywhere you will be bloating.  I know that I can't on my lake, so that would be a pretty big hurdle for me.  I don't know how good www.thesupracrew.com is, but you will get plenty of support for years to come in the LSV right here too!

• Like 2

only comment about M6 vs LT4 in a 25LSV is that i think they get you different transmission ratio -- 1.5:1 vs 2.0:1.  That translates to lower rpm's surfing and/or cruising (i.e. quieter), and higher top end (like 50mph vs 40mph); up to you if that matters (not many wakeboats need to go 40mph anyway, but cruising comfortably in the 30's to get across large lakes can be appreciated for sure).  Can't speak to the SE550 transmission/rpm/speed trades.  

you also didn't say anything about use case -- i.e. surf vs wakeboard vs foiling, beginner vs advanced, trailer vs lift, etc.  that may help folks comment on features most interesting/valuable to you.

if possible, definitely stand/sit in one (and preferably ride behind as well).  And i'd ignore the MSRP feel-good 'deal/discount' - a wildly inflated MSRP with an offsetting giant discount is just marketing fluff.

dizzygti
8 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

(not many wakeboats need to go 40mph anyway, but cruising comfortably in the 30's to get across large lakes can be appreciated for sure). 

Not a Bu 25LSV, but my Axis 25 ft'er with the M6 will top out at 37.5mph, so you don't NEED the LT4 to cruise in the 30's.    

3 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

Not a Bu 25LSV, but my Axis 25 ft'er with the M6 will top out at 37.5mph, so you don't NEED the LT4 to cruise in the 30's.    

Rpm’s @ 30mph?

dizzygti
Just now, shawndoggy said:

Rpm’s @ 30mph?

28mph @ 4500

31.2mph @ 5000

40 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Rpm’s @ 30mph?

I'll have to look when I get my boat wet this year, but I use the "speed" prop on mine.  I don't recall it screaming at 30-32MPH speeds.  

1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

28mph @ 4500

31.2mph @ 5000

I personally don’t feel comfortable running 4k rpm to cruise. 

Here is my review if you haven't had a chance to read.

I would first say this is a bit of a free speech forum.  Welcome (from a fella that was born and raised in OH).  As you look further around, most forums are moderated to only have positive feedback.  Not sure Supra has a forum?

I like the Supra.  Would look more at them but our dealer and experience has been great with Bu.  I would encourage you to look extensively at each dealer.  You will need them at some point vs a few thousand more / less in sales price.

A few other thoughts: 

• Power tower = super handy if you are towing or on smaller lake
  • Swim step = assuming this is on the 25 LSV.  This is huge feature that is well loved by all
  • Surf wave = these are going to be different in a tab boat vs gate boat

Is there a thruster on both?  Use mine all the time being it's a big boat.

Edited by Five Cent Worth
dizzygti
30 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

I personally don’t feel comfortable running 4k rpm to cruise. 

Can I ask why?   As a former powertrain engineer who has conducted a lot of durability/power certification dynos, I'm curious why there seems to be a common thought that high rpms are destructive.    Is this based on previous failures or just general recommendations that have been passed on?   

FWIW, i think my PCM engine manual recommends 4000rpm as max sustained cruising.  for me that translates into 27mph-ish, using a 3077 (i.e. 15.5" pitch) prop.  if i had an M6, then i'd run a 17" pitch prop like 2805 and likely closer to 29-30mph?  but i'm not going far or doing any skiing, so anything over 30mph is just for brief entertainment. 

i personally would be fine with an M6 all day - plenty of power, especially near sea level, and no need for premium gas and sound levels fine for me.  But if you are at elevation, love speed or really want those last couple hundred rpm savings while surfing or wakeboarding, the LT4 is one way to get there.

Edited by CaptainMorgan
  • Like 3
DRB10SEVEN
7 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

I'm curious why there seems to be a common thought that high rpms are destructive.    Is this based on previous failures or just general recommendations that have been passed on?   

I think it is just a slight misconception people have about engines in general. I agree, a pushrod V8 spinning at 4k rpms is really nothing to be worried about. I keep an eye on my oil pressure/engine temp and send it.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

Can I ask why?   As a former powertrain engineer who has conducted a lot of durability/power certification dynos, I'm curious why there seems to be a common thought that high rpms are destructive.    Is this based on previous failures or just general recommendations that have been passed on?   

To me it’s less of a destructive concern but a fuel burn. If you keep these engines at 3k rpm they sip fuel. Yeah yeah 200k boat and talking about fuel bills but filling up less often is the main thing. 

• Like 3
MikeR397
1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

My 300hr pontoon 115hp mercury knows either 0rpm floating or 6,000 rpm to cruise at 27mph lol. Likewise, my seadoo rxpx 300 cruises at 0 or 8,000 rpm.  Life is to short to be slow and boring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
MikeR397
1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

To me it’s less of a destructive concern but a fuel burn. If you keep these engines at 3k rpm they sip fuel. Yeah yeah 200k boat and talking about fuel bills but filling up less often is the main thing. 

I have always and will continue to fill the bed of my truck with 120 gallons worth of gas and use a D shaped racing funnel to fill my water toys. I drink 10 gallons of gas daily 4-5x a week on the jetski, the fuel savings with grocery discounts really adds up over marina gas — plus the ski gets 93 octane.

4 hours ago, dizzygti said:

I can't find it in the manual (maybe I too am projecting from the PCM manual days), but I thought I read in my current manual not to cruise above 4k.

In any event I think running north of 4500 isn't something most are comfortable with.

DRB10SEVEN
56 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

In any event I think running north of 4500 isn't something most are comfortable with.

No doubt you are correct. I wouldn't cruise for an hour across a big lake at 4800rpm, but I don't mind getting the rpms up that high for a minute or two off and on when I am cruising. I guess for me it just depends on how far and how long I am at those rpms.

Edited by DRB10SEVEN
spelling
5 minutes ago, DRB10SEVEN said:

No doubt you are correct. I wouldn't cruise for an hour across a big lake at 4800rpm, but I don't mind getting the rpms up that high for a minute or two off and on when I am cruising. I guess for me it just depends on how far and how long I am at those rpms.

Oh for sure.  I'm not saying I never go over 4500.  This was just coming up in the context of "cruising in the 30s" with the M6.  For me, "cruising" means running fast in open water for a sustained period... and when "cruising" in that way, I try to keep rpms at 4k or less.  I don't think I'd run 5K for 20+ minutes, for instance, which is what it would take to run my boat at 30+.  On the other hand, pretty sure the LT4 equipped boats will do 30+ at under 4k all day long.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Oh for sure.  I'm not saying I never go over 4500.  This was just coming up in the context of "cruising in the 30s" with the M6.  For me, "cruising" means running fast in open water for a sustained period... and when "cruising" in that way, I try to keep rpms at 4k or less.  I don't think I'd run 5K for 20+ minutes, for instance, which is what it would take to run my boat at 30+.  On the other hand, pretty sure the LT4 equipped boats will do 30+ at under 4k all day long.

The LT4,  with its increased torque, can run a 50mph prop if the owner wanted to.

• Like 1
dizzygti
19 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I searched the current Axis and Malibu manuals and doesn't find anything specifically about elevated rpms.   This 4k or 4500 limit seems like just that,  a round number with a stigma associated going beyond it.   The OEM I used to work for would run engines for 100 hours at peak torque and 400 hours at redline/WOT.  These were DOHC V6s, but I bet a CIB V8 would do the same tests with no issues.   If EGTs/ exhaust manifold temps are stable and AFR/ ignition timing isn't aggressive, oil pressure and temps are good, there's no reason you can't sustain rpms higher than 4500 rpms.  Has anyone compared engine load while loaded and surfing vs empty and crossing cruising?  I'll check this out tomorrow when I'm out on the water.  

DRB10SEVEN
18 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

I'll check this out tomorrow when I'm out on the water.  

My jealousy is immeasurable and my day is ruined. :lol: