Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VIPER II I/O Module 2016-2018 (3962060.1)

I have a 2018 VTX with issues. I was hoping someone could help me understand what this module does and what it controls in the boat. 

Hopefully this is too stupid of a question. Lol!!

If you post details of your problems you may get more help and be back on the water sooner!

That Input Output (IO) Module receives several analog resistive and voltage inputs from the surfgate and wedge position sensors, fuel level sender, and rear ballast level senders, then converts them to data packets which are sent to other modules in the boat via the accessory Controller Area Network (ACC CAN).  It also programmed to output voltage signals to energize the relays for the power wedge and surfgates at the appropriate times 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, csleaver said:

That Input Output (IO) Module receives several analog resistive and voltage inputs from the surfgate and wedge position sensors, fuel level sender, and rear ballast level senders, then converts them to data packets which are sent to other modules in the boat via the accessory Controller Area Network (ACC CAN).  It also programmed to output voltage signals to energize the relays for the power wedge and surfgates at the appropriate times 

Thank you! That should help. I am having a surfgate issue, fuel level says low even though the tank is full, anchor light turns on and can't be switched off. That's all the issues I have noticed at the moment. Boat is at the dealership now; hoping to get fixed before the season starts... Also, hoping I won't have a huge bill to fix :D

1 hour ago, djmalibu418 said:

Thank you! That should help. I am having a surfgate issue, fuel level says low even though the tank is full, anchor light turns on and can't be switched off. That's all the issues I have noticed at the moment. Boat is at the dealership now; hoping to get fixed before the season starts... Also, hoping I won't have a huge bill to fix :D

Most likely bad IO module. The Anchor light doesn't have anything to do with the IO module so it's going to be a separate issue. Do you happen to be running with the key on?

Anchor light doesnt go through the IO module.

Most common cause for them being on and staying on that I see is the over ride key being on. The Anchor and Nav lights are wired to turn on when the over ride key is used.

From my experience, IO module failure is extremely rare.  Loose or corroded connections, low system voltage, and 6-pack relay failure are far more common.

19 minutes ago, csleaver said:

From my experience, IO module failure is extremely rare.  Loose or corroded connections, low system voltage, and 6-pack relay failure are far more common.

I agree.

Very few I/O problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Malibutech96

very Rare for a I/O module to be bad. sounds like you have something pulling down the CAN line typically i start with unplugging the depth transducer. i start there first. i have found many times that the depth transducer shorts and takes down the CAN line causing all kinds of issues. Also check your powers and grounds. best of luck 

• Like 2