Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf board help

MikeR397

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm more about having a one-size-fits-all low performance POS board for guests (in our case a sun faded cwb tsunami, but the hyperlite broadcast seems to be a well liked board) and then having "good boards" for my wife and myself that are off limits to others.  I'd never spend the kind of money hyperlite wants for a compression molded board.  Much better options from soulcraft, zombie, chaos and others for similar $$$.  

My 6'7" buddy learned (and struggled!) on the tsunami and has since bought himself a 5'0" Doomswell Nubstep that has been a game changer for him.

Good point. The broadcast is definitely a good board for everyone. Maybe I’m different though because my main friend on the lake surfs with us every time or us with him so we obviously have our own boards. The my other friends are out 5-7 times a year and are just happy to be out regardless of what we are doing. 

MikeR397
20 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I'm more about having a one-size-fits-all low performance POS board for guests (in our case a sun faded cwb tsunami, but the hyperlite broadcast seems to be a well liked board) and then having "good boards" for my wife and myself that are off limits to others.  I'd never spend the kind of money hyperlite wants for a compression molded board.  Much better options from soulcraft, zombie, chaos and others for similar $$$.  

My 6'7" buddy learned (and struggled!) on the tsunami and has since bought himself a 5'0" Doomswell Nubstep that has been a game changer for him.

Never heard of Doomswell, guess there are lots of options. This is half the price of the phase 5 Doctor and supports 300lbs ok , any idea why the price difference?

I don’t have any experience with the newer phase 5 stuff. It has seemed very expensive in comparison to a custom from soulcraft or chaos so I haven’t really ever considered their newer expensive boards. We rode the older phase 5 skims (not the carbon models, which I haven’t tried) till I discovered Victoria, which are higher performing than the phase 5 skims were.  

• 5 weeks later...
HollywoodBall
On 3/9/2024 at 12:12 PM, MikeR397 said:

Never heard of Doomswell, guess there are lots of options. This is half the price of the phase 5 Doctor and supports 300lbs ok , any idea why the price difference?

I can't really speak to the difference on price, but our crew runs a lot of different Doomswell boards.  They're great surf style boards and they have great year end sales as well if you're not looking for the latest greatest model. 

I'm 6' 250lbs.  My first Doomswell was a 5'0" Nubstep, replaced by a 4'-8" Falcon, and I'm likely snagging the new F-type at 4'-7" - I progressed A LOT last year on the Falcon.