Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone ridden a CWB Tsunami wakesurf board?

hybridpower

My friend of a friend is trying to convince me to buy his CWB Tsunami board (he lives out of state, but would send it to me) when he sells his boat.

Anyone ridden one? What did you think?

Thanks and Happy Memorial Day!

I own one and I know 2 other people that own one.

Pretty decent board really. My whole family can ride it from my wife 110lbs to me at 210 lbs. It is a fun skim style board that is fast enough for a 210 lb guy to ride behind a 21 vride ropeless no prob, the board is loose enough that I can nearly spin a 3 (also removing the thrust fin changes the board drastically).

BS001 ride one as well. In fact he has owned it a long time and will probably never trade it.

Cool, that's good to hear. Yes, he's willing to give me a good price on it, and my friend says it's like new.

Does it require a big wake? I'm going to be riding behind my '98 Sunsetter with the wedge down. I've also got about 2000#'s worth of ballast bags.

If you guys think I could get it to work behind my boat I'll grab it.

Thanks again.

Yes I agree with the others. This is a good board to learn on an it is much more durable than the foam core boards for those that are learning. I still ride it from time to time. It is easy to spin.

about BS001s tsunami- Yea I don't know what he's going to do when he has two holes worn through the board from feet. Think Im' joking? hes at least going to have to replace the traction pad someday soon.

My sunsetter is on the wake hull.

Right now the only board I have a the liquid force venture, which is fine but I'm ready to try something new.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

For those of you scoring at home; 54 hours and 45 minutes is the time it took me to get to this :biggrin:

@iwantcoins

Love the love for the Tsunami!  This is my 11th season on one.  Personally, I agree with you that it's a fantastic board....  But I disagree that it's a skim board.  (Skim has less rocker, often times no channeling). I'd say it's one of a very few true Hybrids, especially in the thruster setup.   Also, IMO, it's definitely a beginner (thru advanced) board.  In fact, most people I know learned on one.  Not many advanced riders out there on them, if any...  I've never seen one anyway...

anyway. Not tryin to rain on your review... Very professionally done BTW.  Just thought I'd throw in some input :cheers:

Ive been riding one for about 8 years now. its the model with the rising sun logo. I like the way it rides, works for me. Taught a ton of people to surf on it also. I feel its better than a beginner board, but clearly not like a more advanced or custom board. Looking forward to riding the newer model to see if its the same or tweaked any. 

@-BS- What about weight with the Tsunami?  We've got a bigger rider (230) that just cannot seem to get rid of the rope.  He rides an IS Blue Lake.

I should add that I believe there are some fundamentals that still need to be grasped, but I digress.  

Edited by saxton15
36 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

@-BS- What about weight with the Tsunami?  We've got a bigger rider (230) that just cannot seem to get rid of the rope.  He rides an IS Blue Lake.

This is my experience too.  180 and below, I've gotten five newbs surfing without the rope this year.  220 and up, no dice.   But I'm not buying another board for hefty newbs, so they just gonna have to suffer.

41 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

I should add that I believe there are some fundamentals that still need to be grasped, but I digress.  

I was sneaking up on 230 a few years ago and had no trouble riding my Tsunami. However, I was long past beginner level. 

Whats you fin setup? I only run the two rear outers. 

3 minutes ago, MLA said:

I was sneaking up on 230 a few years ago and had no trouble riding my Tsunami. However, I was long past beginner level. 

Whats you fin setup? I only run the two rear outers. 

I don't have one in our line up.  Just asking because our rider thinks its entirely the board.  I've told him instead of spending $600+ to keep working on form. 

13 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

gotcha.  I don't think a tsunami is faster than a blue lake.  more fun to ride but doubt it's faster.

The Tsunami is way heavier than the blue. It also could use better fins then what comes with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On August 11, 2016 at 3:03 PM, saxton15 said:

I'm between 205-215# (depending on the drinking to riding ratio of a given summer)  and have never had an issue.  From beginner to now.... it's basically all I've ever ridden consistently and it's always suited me well. 

#230?  That might* be testing the outer limits of the board, but it's not totally out of whack.  

.... As far as "the margin of error"....  I honestly find the custom foam boards to have WAY higher consequences for mistakes.  IMO they amplify every wrong move because of their responsiveness.  That's what they are built to do; respond to EXACTLY & precisely what the rider asks it to do.

Think of it like a car.  The average driver can hop in and stomp on the accelerator of Aunt Judy's champagne colored Camry, and for the most part, control what happens next.  Now put a new driver in an Indy Cart and see what happens when they try that.  Now, is it "fun" for beginners to drive the Indy Cart?  Sure, but they're gonna pile the thing up a million times, grind through the gears, and wear out the brakes AND accelerator in no time flat.  (And more importantly IMO; if that's the car they learn to drive in, their driving will aaallllllllllways have that 'herky jerky/over correcting" look to it. And that's to be expected; because that's what they've spent season after season doing) 

But at the same time, if the goal is simply to stay in the wave without any effort (aka drive 55mph in a straight line) and progression wasn't a concern....I could see where a custom foam core would work well for some.....