Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Navigations apps

Upperbaylsv

Upperbaylsv

Has anyone downloaded Navionics or the Simrad app on the 7’’ display/android app screen. If so, any hiccups with the download? How is the display working?

I have used the Navionics app for a few years now. 
I was a bit pissed when they went from a one time purchase to a subscription based without compensating those who purchased the app. 

But besides that it works pretty well. 

ahopkins22LSV

I loaded the gps app in this thread to our 2020 vtx and it worked well for what I needed. A bit of a process to get it going but once I got it worked. In our 22LSV I haven’t because I got a newer, bigger phone that I just loaded the navionics app on it. I just plug my phone in and change the screen lock to never for when I need the maps. I don’t believe any other navigation app is supported by the OS of the Malibu system. Which is a bummer

Upperbaylsv

Thanks for the replies. I’m hoping that since it is an android base system/app the Simrad app works (what I used and am familiar with in our other boat). First Malibu  surprised it doesn’t come navigation maps/software

For the navionics app, was the display large enough? I guess it is easier to just use the phone if needed. 

ahopkins22LSV

I use it 3-5 times a year so for my purposes, so yes my phone is enough. My home lake and most of the lakes we go to on vacation I know them well enough that I don’t need it. But if we are on St Clair, I use it since we cross a 7 mile wide bay so you can get off track quick. 

On the lakes we regular there are only 1 or 2 spots I use navionics to watch the channels and my phone is large enough.

On lakes that I am unsure of I use a 10" tablet and I suction cup it to the side window above the throttle. 

1 hour ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

I use it 3-5 times a year so for my purposes, so yes my phone is enough. My home lake and most of the lakes we go to on vacation I know them well enough that I don’t need it. But if we are on St Clair, I use it since we cross a 7 mile wide bay so you can get off track quick. 

there isnt a built in oem option with map card you purchase with the recent map data?  i have that as standard oem, i thought malibu had same and if you didnt order it it could be easily added 

ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

there isnt a built in oem option with map card you purchase with the recent map data?  i have that as standard oem, i thought malibu had same and if you didnt order it it could be easily added 

To be honest, I don't know. I never looked into it.

5 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

To be honest, I don't know. I never looked into it.

never had a boat with full screen gps mapping (and mine are full tablet size) and it's one of fav options.  if this is oem then buying an sd card and plugging it in would be the cheapest and best option especially if its a current map, even a card thats a few yrs old would still be great.  i thought in prev malibus all it takes is the card based on prev posts here 

Edited by granddaddy55
Upperbaylsv

My understanding is that they did away with the SD card a few years ago. There is a service bulletin discussing downloading the I-boats navigation app. I’m just not familiar with this program/maps and like my fourwinns Simrad system. The area we boat definitely requires a good navigation system. Can alway use the phone, but would be nice to have the screen setup. I think. First Malibu. Also not how convent it is to use the 7inch screen on the left v the phone on the upper right. 

thanks again for everyones insight. 

Malibu Has the iBoating app which you should be able to download from the apps section. I think it's an icon called Medallion or something. It takes you to a list of apps that have been tested to work with the system with no issues.

You go to the iBoating site and purchase the maps you want.

• Like 2
Upperbaylsv

Thanks everyone for the responses. What I didn’t realized (first Malibu) is that the OS is android amazon based and can only use Amazon apps. From what I can gather only the i-Boating is available as a navigation app, no navionics or Simrad. 

When you install the app on the boat, does the boat need to be connected to wifi for the map program to run?  Or does the app run without wifi?

ahopkins22LSV
37 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

When you install the app on the boat, does the boat need to be connected to wifi for the map program to run?  Or does the app run without wifi?

It runs without wifi. There is a GPS setting in the android settings you need to make sure is turned on.

• Thanks 2
On 3/8/2024 at 3:52 PM, ahopkins22LSV said:

It runs without wifi. There is a GPS setting in the android settings you need to make sure is turned on.

This. You will need to be on wifi IIRC to get the maps you purchased to load. Once loaded you are golden.

• Like 2

Have any of you installed the nav app with hotspoting your phone?  I am unable to download the app.  It merely sits in que and doesn't download.  A bit frustrating.  I am hotspoting my phone.  Do we think this would make a difference?  In the Youtube vid, there isn't a mention of paying for the app prior to it being downloaded.  Does this seem normal as well?

ahopkins22LSV

I don’t know what it was, but when we got our 2022 22LSV the boat wouldn’t connect to hotspot either. I briefly looked through settings on the boat and my phone but couldn’t get it to work. I had to do all updates at home on my home network. 

Upperbaylsv
2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Should work with a hotspot. Not sure why you would be having an issue. Dealers were sent an advisory with the steps for installing, buying maps, etc.

https://file.io/i9fxCqmLtkwh

Thanks for sending this as a PDF. Very helpful! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have navionics on my boat and use it sparingly.  It a little glitchy in my 2015 even with a brand new small screen.  If I’m going to use it, I need to click on it as soon as I start up the boat and leave it on that nav screen until I’m done using it.  If I click over to the stereo or systems control page it isn’t able to pull the navionics screen up again.  I purchased it 2 years ago from navionics directly and it came with an SD card that was pre loaded but also came with a membership to update the card to newest maps before I installed it.  Since then I haven’t kept the membership active but the chip still works fine in the back of the display.