Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MD5i vs MD6i

DCS7

Looking at purchasing a 2024 23 MXZ.  Hearing conflicting Malibu mfg. recommendation.  One dealer says MD5i and another MD6i?  Anyone have the MD5i on a 23, and if so, is it ample for the size of the boat?  We like to surf and usually have at least 6 adults in the boat.  Overall speed not a top priority.  

M6 is a no brainer to me unless you are at sea level, never wakeboard with ballast, and don't intend on selling the boat anytime soon. The resale value of the M6 pays for itself IMO. 

Edit to add: The 2024 23 MXZ also gained 500 lbs dry weight and 7 gallons fuel capacity (basically 10% more on both). I haven't heard any non-marketing reports on the 2024 impact on performance, but I have to imagine that nudges things even more towards M6.

Edited by dshack

I'm not up on the current malibu specs. Does the 5.3 have a 2:1 for bu? If it does I would rock the 5.3 any day as long as you aren't at elevation.

• Like 1

I have the M5 in a 2020 23 LSV. This is a picture of RPMs at 4,700’ elevation, 8 adults, front ballast full, mid full, rears 3/4ish. With 8 adults anymore weight in the rear and it just washes out the wave. As you can see it handles it just fine and is using about half throttle. My son wakeboards with ballast 1/2 full and wedge (can’t remember, but thinking 3) no problem. If I can find it, I will post a picture at 6,000’, but similar numbers.

We got the boat as a leftover and I was nervous about the engine not being able to test ride due to winter, but I have been super happy with it. If I was ordering new I would go M6 for resale, but I would do an M5 again for the right deal or boat.

IMG_5427.jpeg

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I'm not up on the current malibu specs. Does the 5.3 have a 2:1 for bu? If it does I would rock the 5.3 any day as long as you aren't at elevation.

Yes, it has the 2:1

Thanks all!  Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.  Also impressed with the pic of the RMP's and altimeter.  

20 minutes ago, MikeR397 said:

Relative to the cost of the boat and some metal clamps, a $5500 or so up charge to a 6.2L is a great deal if ordering new. 

This. Especially since you can always add racks/audio/lights later...you are stuck with the engine. And its a bummer to spend 6 figures and have regrets.

I'm only at about 1000' elevation......I have a '21 23 LSV with the M6.  A buddy has a '20 23 LSV with the M5.  Only difference we ever notice is that his RPMs are higher and the engine is working a little harder when surfing.  Impressed by both motors overall, as others have mentioned if you have a choice I'd opt for the M6 for resale and at higher elevations.

19 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

I have the M5 in a 2020 23 LSV. This is a picture of RPMs at 4,700’ elevation, 8 adults, front ballast full, mid full, rears 3/4ish. With 8 adults anymore weight in the rear and it just washes out the wave. As you can see it handles it just fine and is using about half throttle. My son wakeboards with ballast 1/2 full and wedge (can’t remember, but thinking 3) no problem. If I can find it, I will post a picture at 6,000’, but similar numbers.

We got the boat as a leftover and I was nervous about the engine not being able to test ride due to winter, but I have been super happy with it. If I was ordering new I would go M6 for resale, but I would do an M5 again for the right deal or boat.

IMG_5427.jpeg

Just curious, how fast are you going at WFO?  

Those numbers are impressive, nice work!

Sounds like you've got the fore / aft weight balance dialed. I found on my 22 LSV with 6.0 409 that I could get similar numbers at elevation, but had to really pay attention to getting weight forward and speed under 11. 1 adult in the transom seat (legal in UT now) would cause havoc. 23 is prob a little easier to manage since you have more weight forward by default.

Edited by dshack
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dshack said:

Those numbers are impressive, nice work!

Sounds like you've got the fore / aft weight balance dialed. I found on my 22 LSV with 6.0 409 that I could get similar numbers at elevation, but had to really pay attention to getting weight forward and speed under 11. 1 adult in the transom seat (legal in UT now) would cause havoc. 23 is prob a little easier to manage since you have more weight forward by default.

That picture was someone surfing regular. I surf goofy at 11.1 and rpms are about 100 higher for that.

• 2 weeks later...
Hoityvtx

Looking at a vtx, m5 or m6. Dealer is recommending the m6 over the m5 due to performance obviously but given fuel here in oz is $2 a litre fuel economy is better on the m6. M6 not working as hard. 

can anyone confirm fuel usage being better on the m6. Resale being better etc overrides the initial increase cost.

I just traded a VTX. I had the m5 because everyone said it was plenty for that boat, but I regretted it the entire time.  To me it felt way underpowered when loaded up. I have always had ski boats so I was accustomed to better power to weight ratios I guess. In any case, if I were to do it over I would definitely get the m6.

• Like 2
MikeR397

I did an m6 in my 24 T220, probably overkill but it’s “only” $5800 net to upgrade which is relatively cheap compared to $450 cup holders you can get in amazing for $85.

5 hours ago, MikeR397 said:

I did an m6 in my 24 T220, probably overkill but it’s “only” $5800 net to upgrade which is relatively cheap compared to $450 cup holders you can get in amazing for $85.

Same. 

Imagine this is a car you're buying.  Let's say it's a $120k Camaro (if one actually cost that much.)  Or better yet, in the realm of the MXZ, a Corvette pushing $200k, again, stretching our imaginations to make their costs equivalent to these boats. 

You're buying top-trim level sports car.  Maybe the nicest car on your block.  Are you even CONSIDERING the smaller motor in your insanely expensive sports car?  Opting for less power and resale value to save 2-4% of the purchase price on that 100% discretionary purchase?  No.  Nobody is.  Ever.  And why anyone does in wakeboats when the cost differential is almost negligible and the demand for for power is omnipresent will Never Not Blow My Mind.  All you 5.3 apologists are wackos.  

I love this debate, if you can't tell. 

27 minutes ago, rennis said:

Same. 

Imagine this is a car you're buying.  Let's say it's a $120k Camaro (if one actually cost that much.)  Or better yet, in the realm of the MXZ, a Corvette pushing $200k, again, stretching our imaginations to make their costs equivalent to these boats. 

You're buying top-trim level sports car.  Maybe the nicest car on your block.  Are you even CONSIDERING the smaller motor in your insanely expensive sports car?  Opting for less power and resale value to save 2-4% of the purchase price on that 100% discretionary purchase?  No.  Nobody is.  Ever.  And why anyone does in wakeboats when the cost differential is almost negligible and the demand for for power is omnipresent will Never Not Blow My Mind.  All you 5.3 apologists are wackos.  

I love this debate, if you can't tell. 

This should be a sticky for every "which engine" thread. I actually was thinking the other day that its surprising no wakeboats have a truly absurd engine option...like 1000+ HP / 1000+ ft lbs torque. If I'm gonna drop 150k+ (or 350k+ for Paragon) on a toy, I want to grin like a little kid every time I push the throttle forward.

MikeR397

To be fair, I do think having to switch to premium gas or a much higher consumption is a reasonable consideration between engines, despite cost delta of the engine itself. That can add up to a lot after a few hundred hours. Otherwise, ain’t no replacement for displacement! 

N49Boater

M6 for sure! I had a M5 in an Axis T22, used it for 2 summers. When loaded right up with people and ballast for surfing, I found it was really working. One of the biggest reasons I traded was to upgrade the engine.  M6 is a big improvement and doesn’t need to work as hard,…...It is a more enjoyable boat without a doubt……. and, Lol, trust me, way cheaper to upgrade right off the start!! 

• Like 2