Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 VLX speedo w/LCD swap

Hey Crew,

My 2001 VLX Wakesetter originally came with the MDC Accuski digital display. At some point prior to my purchase it was replaced with a multigauge. As many of you know doing this takes away the depth/temp gauge. I still have all the original depth/temp hardware installed. I know a couple of people have tried to install a speedo w/LCD to try and get the depth/temp back. I'm trying to determine which MMDC module came stock in this boat and which came in the 2002-2003 with the speedo w/LCD. All I can find is info about the MDC-1600. My boat has theMMDC 7016-00002-01 with a date code of 8/24/01 which is almost after a year after my boat was made per the HIN. Does anyone know if this is a later model MMDC maybe out of an '02 and at some time installed to replace the stock one. How could I tell? The original depth/temp module 7050-01000-00 has a date code 11/02/00 which does make sense with the HIN build date of the boat, NOV 00.

Does anyone have a speedo w/LCD they could loan me to see if I could try and make this work? 

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks for any help.

21 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I'd contact these folks and go from there. I had a similar issue and so glad I went this route. Plug and play and good upgrade.

Gauge systems

Steve B.

I have checked those folks out. If things stop working I would definitely consider going that route. Currently all my gauges work. I'm just trying to incorporate the original depth/temp setup and avoid installing a new depth transducer and adding another gauge for depth.

A few years ago I contacted Medallion customer support and purchased some EOL product from them.

They were very responsive and helpful.

3 hours ago, SkiPablo said:

i have one (pricey item) but I'm not sure it will work with the older MMDC.   did you old display have the same oval connector?

How pricey? Yes I have the current 5 pin oval connectors going to my current speedo (just a standard speedo with no display), 4 by 1 multi gauge and tach with hour meter. The MMDC has a plug that plugs into the depth/temp module. 

My question is if I remove my current speedo and install a speedo w/LCD will the depth and temp be displayed on the LCD. 

Does anyone know what MMDC was in the 2002-2003 boats that have the LCD screen in the speedo?

1 hour ago, Bujah said:

How pricey? Yes I have the current 5 pin oval connectors going to my current speedo (just a standard speedo with no display), 4 by 1 multi gauge and tach with hour meter. The MMDC has a plug that plugs into the depth/temp module. 

My question is if I remove my current speedo and install a speedo w/LCD will the depth and temp be displayed on the LCD. 

Does anyone know what MMDC was in the 2002-2003 boats that have the LCD screen in the speedo?

well I think a new one at Bakes is around 900 but I haven't checked in a while.   I don't have access to my boat right now, but I looked at pictures - my MMDC and it says 7018-00002-01 (with date 7/22/02) and  my depth module says 7050-02001-00 (dated 7/12/02)    both of my speedos are dated 2002.

my boat is a 2003 Sunsetter LXI

6 hours ago, SkiPablo said:

well I think a new one at Bakes is around 900 but I haven't checked in a while.   I don't have access to my boat right now, but I looked at pictures - my MMDC and it says 7018-00002-01 (with date 7/22/02) and  my depth module says 7050-02001-00 (dated 7/12/02)    both of my speedos are dated 2002.

my boat is a 2003 Sunsetter LXI

Thanks for the info! Does yours have a paddle wheel for speed? The MMDC I have has 2 pitot tubes. And unlike the Mdc-1600 the pitot ports point straight down and not to the side. I can not find any info on this MMDC at all. It's like it a unicorn of sorts. I have been emailing with Steve at Malibu parts who is looking into this for me. I have not been able to get a hold of medallion yet.

I'm wondering how the original accuski digital gauge was connected. No info on that either. I have the book on how to navigate the menus and there is a crude wiring diagram that shows the connector from the depth/ temp module wiring right to the back of the accuski gauge. Can anyone confirm this. I can not find any actual pictures. There is a plug from the MMDC that does connect directly to the depth/temp module but I'm not sure if the depth/temp info would go through the MMDC and out to the gauges if I swapped a standard speedo with a speedo w/LCD.

My 02 didn't have the LCD(with depth) incorporated into the multi-gauge. Depth gauge was separate. So, I'm wondering if your original skipped the MDC too. The only thing I'd add is the separate little LCD depth gauge us super easy to read in bright sun. But yes you are taking your eyes away from the other gauges.

2 hours ago, Steve B. said:

My 02 didn't have the LCD(with depth) incorporated into the multi-gauge. Depth gauge was separate. So, I'm wondering if your original skipped the MDC too. The only thing I'd add is the separate little LCD depth gauge us super easy to read in bright sun. But yes you are taking your eyes away from the other gauges.

I think the speedo w/LCD was only on the 2003-2004 model years from what I gather going through each years manuals. I don't know if mine originally came with the separate depth gauge as they were not there when I purchased the boat. If they still made them I would go that route. The MDC Accuski digital gauge has also been replaced with the 4 in 1 analog multi gauge. I'm really just trying to figure out a way to keep the old depth/temp module and display it some how. But it seems a long long shot will probably just end up updating it. Need to start looking into new depth gauge and transducer options I suppose.

14 hours ago, Bujah said:

Thanks for the info! Does yours have a paddle wheel for speed? The MMDC I have has 2 pitot tubes. And unlike the Mdc-1600 the pitot ports point straight down and not to the side. I can not find any info on this MMDC at all. It's like it a unicorn of sorts. I have been emailing with Steve at Malibu parts who is looking into this for me. I have not been able to get a hold of medallion yet.

I'm wondering how the original accuski digital gauge was connected. No info on that either. I have the book on how to navigate the menus and there is a crude wiring diagram that shows the connector from the depth/ temp module wiring right to the back of the accuski gauge. Can anyone confirm this. I can not find any actual pictures. There is a plug from the MMDC that does connect directly to the depth/temp module but I'm not sure if the depth/temp info would go through the MMDC and out to the gauges if I swapped a standard speedo with a speedo w/LCD.

mine is paddle wheel.     My friends 2005 Response also has this same gauge but different colors.  so at least some 2003-2005 boats had it - i think it was probably based on the trim level picked honestly b/c I've seen plenty of boats with just regular gauges.

Well i guess I have 2 options for you - i can tell you of one for sale right now that you can buy for a decent price and if it doesn't work you can resell.  Or I can ship you mine if you promise to return it to me - i don't want to sell the one I have b/c I feel like some day it will come in handy.   Might be best to PM at this point.