Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 VLX Tower Replacement

GCalb

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to replace the tower on a 2005 VLX Wakesetter? I just got a price to refinish my existing one at over $10K.

Do you have any pics of the clear coat as you are calling it. I'd be shocked if they actually clear coated a carbon fiber piece.

I bet you could just spray a clear gelcoat layer on it and be done. 

If you are wanting to go back with a Malibu tower here is a decent deal on a used G3 that needs some work.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/236841966144334?ref=marketplace_profile&referral_code=undefined

If you aren't a DIYer a aftermarket tower will be your best choice. 

Edited by cowwboy
fixed link

Rather than clear gelcoat, you could use a few coats of epoxy resin instead.  That is likely what was used in carbon fiber anyway.  Find some with a bit of UV protection that is intended to brush or spray on, then maybe thin it just a bit if needed and brush it on.  It should lay down much better than gelcoat would and probably not need extra work to make it have a good finish.  For even better UV protection, put about three coats of spar varnish on it after the epoxy.