Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newer (21-22) 23LSV with higher hours (250+) or older (18-19) 23LSV with lower hours (<100)?

pbobkowski

pbobkowski

Both of these boats seem to have similar price points so looking for advice here as this will be my first Malibu.  Use will be on a bigger lake for surfing and general cruising.  Thanks all.

+1 for higher hours from a regular user.   a more recent model like 2022 will also have a better surf wave and probably higher freeboard to keep you dry

11 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

higher freeboard

This would be the main difference between the boats, throw in the hours as mentioned and the newer boat is what you want.   

The only consideration I’d have for the 250 hour boat is to check if Malibu has an hour limit in warranty. I know they used to. 

in the grand scheme of things 250 hours isn’t a lot (although I’d play it up as a lot to the seller). 

14 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The only consideration I’d have for the 250 hour boat is to check if Malibu has an hour limit in warranty. I know they used to. 

in the grand scheme of things 250 hours isn’t a lot (although I’d play it up as a lot to the seller). 

It's 5 years or 500 hours, whichever comes first.  

20 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

a more recent model like 2022 will also have a better surf wave and probably higher freeboard to keep you dry

I have had a 2019 and a 2021 and I think the freeboard is the same between them both.  The 23 LSV picked up additional freeboard on the 2024 if I am remembering correctly.  

Edited by Five Cent Worth
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I have had a 2019 and a 2021 and I think the freeboard is the same between them both.  The 23 LSV picked up additional freeboard on the 2024 if I am remembering correctly.  

my mistake, i thought the 2021 redesign with the walk-thru transom came with more freeboard.  the walk-thru transom is maybe another differentiator; some like it and others dont. you can also probably get a flip down swim step on the later models.

16 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

my mistake, i thought the 2021 redesign with the walk-thru transom came with more freeboard.  the walk-thru transom is maybe another differentiator; some like it and others dont. you can also probably get a flip down swim step on the later models.

Yea, walk thru on the 2021.  You can get the swim step on both.  Walk thru is clutch if you like to maintain your cushion integrity.  

5 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Yea, walk thru on the 2021.  You can get the swim step on both.  Walk thru is clutch if you like to maintain your cushion integrity.  

Agreed.  The 2021+ also feels wider to me.  I don't know how they did it, but something with cushion placement makes it feel a bit wider.  

Overall condition & maintenance records could / should be a key factor, if both similar and well maintained the hour meter difference between the two is not a major item.  Have both been stored out of the water when not in use, are the bilges dry and free of debris, is the upholstery in good condition, do the instruments all function properly, were they both winterized / stored properly? 

My boat had 150 hours on it when I bought it at 15 years old.  I have managed to put about 120 hours on it in 10 years.  I would be afraid of a well-kept, low hour boat.

HollywoodBall

I'd go with whatever has the best remaining warranty which is going to be '21-'22.

The switch of the small screen and dial control on the dash would be nice too.

I lucked out on my '18 22 MXZ. It was either a really late build or sat on a dealer lot for a long time.  Acquired with 170 hours and one registered owner, so I've got factory warranty coverage for an entire season this year ending sometime around the end of August.  I think it was likely the color keeping it on a lot forever until it was finally placed in service.