Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota recall

oldjeep

31 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

May creep forward in neutral if you are not pressing brake - why would you ever leave a running vehicle unattended in neutral?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/22/business/toyota-recalls-280-000-vehicles-hnk-intl/index.html

I guess since we aren't lawyers we just wouldn't understand why.

Maybe you have to leave it in neutral on just the right grade, then it will stand still.

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

May creep forward in neutral if you are not pressing brake - why would you ever leave a running vehicle unattended in neutral?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/22/business/toyota-recalls-280-000-vehicles-hnk-intl/index.html

lol, for the same reason road crews have to put a sign up saying that there is "Guardrail Damage Ahead"...so we can wait to have our wreck later!!

I mean... is it supposed to move while in neutral on flat ground? Sounds reasonable to fix it if the transmission isn't fully disengaged.  A post a while ago from @justgary comes to mind.

Capture123213

Edited by BlindSquirrel
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I mean... is it supposed to move while in neutral on flat ground? Sounds reasonable to fix it if the transmission isn't fully disengaged.  A post a while ago from @justgary comes to mind.

Capture123213

I'm just trying to figure out how anyone would ever notice this.  Any transmission, manual or automatic I can recall will cause the wheels to turn if you have it on jackstands in N.  Sounds like they have a little more torque than that, but WTF are people doing leaving a running vehicle sitting in N?  Must be a toyota thing ;)

Edited by oldjeep

The news story indicates that the transmission is not totally disengaged while in the neutral position. Thus engine power is transmitted to the drive assemblies.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Have not seen one like that in a really long time, but maybe.

There is one on nearly every corner around here. My wifes old MKX  was very annoying going into one. Push the neutral button and then it seemed like it asked you 20 time's if you were sure you wanted to do that.

10 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Have not seen one like that in a really long time, but maybe.

All the auto car washes require the car to go into neutral (which I agree is totally annoying on unnecessarily complicated pushbutton trans cars).  

I can't believe that they don't have auto carwashes near you?  But I might be convinced that you wouldn't spend $8 for something you could do yourself with a bucket, some sponges, and a nickel's worth of soap?

6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

All the auto car washes require the car to go into neutral (which I agree is totally annoying on unnecessarily complicated pushbutton trans cars).  

I can't believe that they don't have auto carwashes near you?  But I might be convinced that you wouldn't spend $8 for something you could do yourself with a bucket, some sponges, and a nickel's worth of soap?

All the car washes I go to you drive in, put it in park and the machine moves around you.  I remember the style you are talking about, just have not seen one in a long time.

$8 would be a pretty good deal, I think the one I use at the gas station is more like $12

Edited by oldjeep
6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

spend $8 for something you could do yourself with a bucket, some sponges, and a nickel's worth of soap?

Where does one find an $8 car wash?  Around here even the gas station washes seem to start at $15. 

LOL, debating the price of a car wash now.  Spring is almost here....

For the record, I don't go to a car wash either.  I bought a dirt colored truck so I don't have to wash it.  I washed the last truck one time; the day before I sold it.  Simple is good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Well I guess I know what's cheaper in Reno?  Actually there's a $5 place with free vacuums!

Same here in AZ.  $5 car wash that moves the whole vehicle, free vacs, free compressed air blowers to blow out the water from tight panel gaps, free floor mat shaker/cleaner, free damp wipe towels... it's great.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

All the car washes I go to you drive in, put it in park and the machine moves around you.  I remember the style you are talking about, just have not seen one in a long time.

$8 would be a pretty good deal, I think the one I use at the gas station is more like $12

Same in our area. No automatic wash around here comes close to hand washing results at home.

19 minutes ago, Murphys said:

No automatic wash around here comes close to hand washing results at home.

The only way to fly.   Though I got my current truck new in November, haven't washed it once.   It's white, so it's starting to show.   Maybe this weekend....but probably not.  

I pay $25/month for unlimited washes with a chain of car washes, so I can wash it at lots of different places while traveling around.  It works pretty well when I've visited a customer and their parking lot is a mess.  Most of them are "magic carpet" style, where you pull onto a pad that just glides your car along without your wheels turning, which is great to prevent scuffs to my 19's with 35's on them.  I only do it Nov thru the end of March mostly to keep the salt off, once April is here in West Michigan the hoses get put back out and it's hand wash time, which is more satisfying.

We got those touchless laserwash's around here. A la carte kinda with rainx, ceramic, underbody etc. Better than by hand. Gets the brake residue off the rims even. 

12 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

It seems odd to me to pay someone anything to put scratches in your paint.  

But if you don't get that salt off, man everything underneath turns to a rusted mess.  That's why I do it.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, RyanB said:

I pay $60/month for the local car wash. Can wash one vehicle per day. I use the wash 4-5 times a week. 

I hate dirty cars. 

Lol.  I think I washed my truck 3 times last year.  It is parked outside - hard to get too concerned about it being clean.

3 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

But if you don't get that salt off, man everything underneath turns to a rusted mess.  That's why I do it.  

Opposite sort of.   It is the melting or re wetting of the salt.  If it all stays frozen, it is fine.