Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Good price for 01 wakesetter?

Brycen

Looking for input…

going to look (possibly buy) a 2001 Malibu wakesetter, it is v drive so I’m assuming it’s a lsv. Boat has new engine, ballasts with pumps, stereo, 8/10 interior. Comes with jackets,3 boards, tube. Guy wants no less than 18,000. 800 hours on hull and 25 on new engine. Going to put it in the water Friday and test.looking to get into surfing and pull the kids on the tube. So the question is, is this a good deal?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/669496715331912/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

Edited by Brycen

I would say the price isn't bad. The boat should be a VLX. Someone put newer graphics on the side of it, but didn't sand the shadowing out. To get that out you are going to have to pull the new ones off and wet sand, cut and polish the whole boat. It would definitely be worth it. 

I would also ask why it had to get a new engine with only 800 hours? do they have receipts for it? any warranty? and was it a shade tree mechanic that put it in, or a reputable dealer? When you take the boat out check everything and every switch. Pull all the dipsticks (engine, tranny and v-drive) and check the level and condition of the fluids. On the trailer check the tires for age and condition and see if the bearing have grease in them and how the grease looks. 

Does the boat have perfect pass? and what about a bimini cover? 

I would also ask a lot of questions regarding the engine replacement. Boat looks a little rough, but nothing elbow grease can help get rid of. Check the trailer ( I would prefer a double axle myself, single axle scares me a bit) 

Price seems ok though, are you comfortable with doing some work on the boat yourself?

So he stores the boat inside during the winter in a climate controlled building but didn’t winterize it, it got into the single digits and cracked the block so he said he replaced the engine, I will ask if he or a shop did the work. And as for the elbow grease I would be doing all of the repairs, I can wet sand cut and buff. Im also mechanically inclined so I’m going to inspect everything meticulously. People are wanting an arm and leg for their boats right now and this seems like one of the better deals but I wanted some more experienced opinions, it has the Bimini cover (black) and to my knowledge it doesn’t have a PP

Edited by Brycen

You'll be able to tell easily if it has PP, just by looking at the dash. If it has it, one of the speedometers will look different. PP is a must have, in my opinion and is ~$1,500 new and a few beers to install yourself.

Once you find out about the engine replacement details, another expensive item is a cover. Does it have one of those?

When you drive it pay attention to vibration. Issues that cause vibration are (to name a few) poor alignment of the new motor or a dinged prop. During the lake test, make sure the steering wheel turns easily. If not a steering cable will need to be replaced soon. Look in the engine bay to see if there is water in there. If so the shaft packing (where the drive shaft goes through the hull) might need replaced or adjusted.

Also, crawl under the boat and make sure the tracking fin(s) are tight. They sometimes come loose and are a pain to tighten. 

Single axle have their advantages, less money in tires and easy to move around in the garage. I have a single axle and sleep very well at night, even before a long trip. We tow several thousand miles a year.

I'm not a member of facespace like you kids are... so I can't see the photos to give an opinion on that.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

I don’t have it anymore either, seems to be a lot less drama that way (for me anyway). Thank you a ton. I don’t know how to add photos any other way

engine was replaced at cline marine in milledgeville 

Edited by Brycen
formulaben

That's a great tower, really strong and looks good.  Pictures can be deceiving but the vinyl looks pretty good for its age.  So long as you're mechanically inclined and the engine story checks out, I'd say go for it. 

I'd raise that bimini frame, as it's right at face height for some of us.  Get her cleaned up and you're going to love that boat.  A nice properly-sized Yeti with EVA lid seat top will fit behind the captain's chair and provide an extra seat.  ;) 

My 2 cents about the teak deck. 

So I got the boat guys, prop was mangled up and caused a vibration, scared me at first. Pulled the prop and backed into the water and viola, vibration gone. Has tons of goodies thrown in. Including a full Malibu boat cover. Does not currently have a PP but will be getting one soon. Have a couple cosmetic things to iron out before summer but nothing that I can’t do on my own. Thank you all for the help!

Nice, congrats! Got any photos of her?  Like I said, the star gazer perfect pass is a pretty easy install. If you get stuck on anything their customer service is great. Another thing you should consider, for sure if you are going to surf, is a "fresh air exhaust". It serves two purposes for me.... if we surf, which isn't super often, the fumes are not in the surfer's face. But more importantly to the wife... the boat is quiet. It's another DIY install that takes a little time and a couple beers. Anyway, this forum can help you spend lots of your money on upgrades if you want.

• Like 2

Get that prop fixed as a back-up. It's amazing how a completely minor ding just in the wrong spot on a prop can make the whole thing vibrate.

Congratulations also !

• Like 2

Nice!

Since the prop was "mangled," it is a good idea to check the strut to make sure it isn't bent.  After you confirm that it is straight, you may also want to check the engine alignment.

I found a brand new acme 537 for 350$ I’m thinking about getting and send off the prop I have to get repaired and put under a seat for a backup. The boat came with an exile amp and towers, spoke with the guys at exile and they are gonna refurbish the amp and speakers both for cheap. Got to do some wet sanding cutting and buffing to get the old shadowing out. As for the fresh air piece…the boat had one and the guy posted pictures with it. Met with him and asked about it and someone stole it off the boat after a day at the lake in a Mexican restaurant parking lot (can’t have s***) with that said I am a pretty good fabricator and have access to sanitary pipe so I will be making one soon and I’ll post some pics.

Came with a few extras I didn’t know about also, multiple pull ropes,couple of anchors, wake shaper that suctions to side of the boat but it’s not wake shaper brand but it is brand new looking, sumo bags and sumo pumps, 5 or so riding jackets and 5 or 6 standard safety orange preservers. 3 audio amps total in working order seemingly done by a professional shop by the looks of it. Carpet could use a little help but no biggie.

I will be sure to upload some pictures when I figure out how to.

On 2/29/2024 at 1:16 PM, BlindSquirrel said:

Nice, congrats! Got any photos of her?  Like I said, the star gazer perfect pass is a pretty easy install. If you get stuck on anything their customer service is great. Another thing you should consider, for sure if you are going to surf, is a "fresh air exhaust". It serves two purposes for me.... if we surf, which isn't super often, the fumes are not in the surfer's face. But more importantly to the wife... the boat is quiet. It's another DIY install that takes a little time and a couple beers. Anyway, this forum can help you spend lots of your money on upgrades if you want.

Will upload some when I figure it out