Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat purchase M220 or 23 LSV?

Oldguycrashing

Oldguycrashing

I have had a boat for our kids while they grew up, well now it’s the next gens turn. I have a 6 grandkids between 5 and 12 who are interested in being behind a boat. I have a cabin on a lake and we have our own dock, I will only be trailering it in and out of the water once a year can I am having a lift installed. I believe between their parents and the kids we will get good use of a wake boat, we have been using an old boat for tubing and a little skiing the past couple summers. The kids want to surf now and I do too. Been looking at boat for a few months and I think we have landed on a new 2023 23 LSV with great pricing. Then I came across a 23 M220 on the dealer lot that just looks so good, pricing is very close, less than $10k more. I am torn, do I take the slightly larger LSV or the higher finished M220? 

i would personally lean M220 -- more freeboard to keep you dry if lake gets rough, slightly better surf wave, and bigger bow for the kids to hang in.  i find the the 23LSV bow to be small, but cabin is probably a little bigger.   Either boat will be a blast

If you are at elevation, you'll want to consider upgrading the engine in a M220 vs 23LSV. Also 23 LSV will be a little more versatile for skiing (better but not great). Otherwise M220 is probably the better option.

Personally, I just like the classic lines of the 23 LSV.

Edited by dshack

M6 will be fine in both boats at most elevations.  Are you on big water?  If you are on a smaller lake (1000 acres or less) I'd vote 23 LSV.  M 220 will handle chop better if you are on a large body of water.  Both will surf and wakeboard great, M having an edge just due to weight alone.  Both need a pretty big heavy duty lift.  If you have an option with a flip down swim step, that's one thing my kids use all the time.  With kids (and adults) climbing in and out of the boat ours gets used almost every time out.  Demo season is almost upon us.........do you have a better feeling sitting inside of one vs the other?  Both great boats, keep us posted on what you decide!

Figure out if you have a personal styling preference and if not, then the M220 will give you a noticeably better surf wave. While 1,000 lbs heavier, it actually handles more nimbly than the 23 LSV, and my wife swears that it drives better than the 23 LSV’s that we had before going to the M220s.

The M220 bow has been a hit for the kids, so the smaller cabin area hasn’t been an issue.

The M6 is plenty for the M220 too. We run it at 5,000’ each summer and have no issues there, even with the 17x17 props.

• Like 2

Yeah at your elevation the M6 would be plenty of power. I'd also be curious if there are any significant differences in options on the 2 builds...I haven't priced out a M220 vs 23LSV, but my impression was if they are similarly optioned it was more like a $15k to $20k difference? But maybe I'm wrong!

Oldguycrashing

The LSV a heavier build but the M220 has enough to not have us missing out on much. In the past the way we boat has been primarily off the our dock. Crew size will vary and we are seldom very far from home base. Both are great boats, the more I go over it in my mind I am convinced both would be great. I think the easiest to operate boat is likely the best one, just want to try buy the right boat. 

test drive them both if you can.

in my experience (having owned a 2016 23LSV and a 22 M220), the 23LSV drives like a pig compared to the M220 (I have not driven a newer 23LSV). Plus, the extra room in the bow is great for the kids. We find that the kids go up front and the adults stay in the main cabin. I have not yet dipped the front of the M220 with all the kid weight up front. cannot say the same for hte LSV.

• Like 1