Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

TXI - end of the line?

Woodski

12 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Yep. Two WRs went down in one weekend behind the TXi last year. I can't recall a tournament ever when WRs in two separate categories were broken at a single tournament behind the same boat. 

Its interesting that over on BOS (which is a great site) the sentiment appears to be that Reggie is going to break her record in short order simply because she is now behind a Nautique.   I find it interesting how quickly the double WR is forgotten and the perception about the TXI not being on par with the other 2 in the mix.  I hope she does extend the record although it will be her hard work, dedication and amazing skill that does it, not just which boat she is being pulled by.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Woodski said:

Its interesting that over on BOS (which is a great site) the sentiment appears to be that Reggie is going to break her record in short order simply because she is now behind a Nautique.   I find it interesting how quickly the double WR is forgotten and the perception about the TXI not being on par with the other 2 in the mix.  I hope she does extend the record although it will be her hard work, dedication and amazing skill that does it, not just which boat she is being pulled by.

I’m following that thread closely too. I think the point being made is that she only skis Malibu a few rounds a year. Nautique dominates the elite tournaments and therefore she is going to get way more cracks at running 41 in a record tournament behind her training boat by being with nautique

Edited by 85 Barefoot
On 2/13/2024 at 1:58 AM, Woodski said:

For a ski show an outboard works well as it offers easier maintenance & lower operating costs.  Show ski events don’t require the straight line stability for course work an inboard excels at and do offer the fun nimble bat turns that make a ski show spectacle.  So yes, for the hard core slalom skier an outboard has several drawbacks including platform access & ski rope interference as a couple.

Back in 1997 I traveled to Melbourne (from Perth, Western Australia) for the Australian F1 GP. On at the same time was the Moomba Masters, a world class 3 event tournament, I remember that the tow boats were outboards powered by Suzuki outboards although I don't remember what make the hulls were. I've often thought that for skiers outboards offer some advantages such as more internal space and smaller wake. The modern fuel injected 4 stroke outboards are certainly less fuel hungry that the older 2 strokes which makes them more attractive. I've seen platforms that attach somehow to the motor and tilt with the motor, and steel loops that prevent the rope from fouling on the motor. Although you'll never beat the sound of a V8 at full noise!!

Edited by Timmo
LXRBarefooter
46 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Back in 1997 I traveled to Melbourne (from Perth, Western Australia) for the Australian F1 GP. On at the same time was the Moomba Masters, a world class 3 event tournament, I remember that the tow boats were outboards powered by Suzuki outboards although I don't remember what make the hulls were. I've often thought that for skiers outboards offer some advantages such as more internal space and smaller wake. The modern fuel injected 4 stroke outboards are certainly less fuel hungry that the older 2 strokes which makes them more attractive. I've seen platforms that attach somehow to the motor and tilt with the motor, and steel loops that prevent the rope from fouling on the motor. Although you'll never beat the sound of a V8 at full noise!!

My guess is it was a Flightcraft OB, they’re an awesome skiing and barefooting boat.

Wonder if there is a 3rd party boat manufacturer that would be interested in purchasing the Response molds, or rights to the molds?