Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

TXI - end of the line?

Woodski

On a different site news has broken that TXI production has ceased and model is cancelled.  Can anyone here shed light on the subject?

It would be sad to see one of the big three tournament ski boats disappear, particularly one that has endured such a long run as the SV23 hull in its various guises.  Sad if true 😥.

• Sad 2
14 minutes ago, Woodski said:

On a different site news has broken that TXI production has ceased and model is cancelled.  Can anyone here shed light on the subject?

It would be sad to see one of the big three tournament ski boats disappear, particularly one that has endured such a long run as the SV23 hull in its various guises.  Sad if true 😥.

Agreed.  I still think that Malibu should reintroduce the 200-2004 SSLXI or 2003-2006 RLXI in Axis badging.  Those were fantastic hulls and there may be a market for them if priced right.  Nautique is still selling lots of 200's.  At least our local dealer is.  Most are going to ski schools or clubs, but they're still selling them.  In light of $155k boat show pricing on the new Ski Nautique, I'm not surprised. 

• Like 2

I've heard this scuttlebutt too but didn't post because I couldn't substantiate it.  If they truly got rid of Dennis Kelly after 30 years with the company, that doesn't bode well for the future of Malibu 3-event.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:14 PM, oldjeep said:

Quite honestly, I doubt that they make enough money selling them to be worth developing the next gen and continue sponsorship of events and athletes.

It probably has a lot to do with taking up a build slot of a much higher profit wake / surf boat.  Within the current crop of tourney ski boats, the TXI is still competitive and has several years left before a refresh would be required, so the tooling should be all paid off.  I agree on the athlete / marketing side (events / athlete support / support personnel), that cut is a money saver.  

In the last few years 2 of the 4 tournament approved ski boat offerings (Centurion Carbon Pro / TXI) are and will be distant memories.  Not a good sign for the 3 event sport.  Ironically, those two were the ones at least trying to keep the entry price down, the survivors are the higher priced offerings.  Bummer to see the model disappear but dismal tournament ski boat volumes sales and even a lack of 3 event / slalom / barefoot interest on this site sends Malibu a signal on where the market is.  Years ago, a lot more even / balanced interest across this site, today only the 3 or 4 of us left that still swerve, even Ahop had to change his 'name'.

So where will Reggie & T-gas go?  And don't forget, women's current slalom record is behind a TXI, at the '23 Malibu Open.  Congrats to the GOAT and the R&D efforts Malibu and Dennis Kelly put forth to grab the glory. 

• Like 2

I thought skiing was making a come back in the first part of Covid but as sales decline I think ski boats will slow the most. My dealer has had a pro star in the showroom since the fall and 2 years ago it was well over a year wait to get one. 

Bummer if this happens long term. The ski clubs/shows around here only have one inboard and the rest of the fleet is light outboard driven boats. I only open water free ski so not sure how well any of the outboard options work in a course but will we see more of them used or do they stink as an option?

13 minutes ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Bummer if this happens long term. The ski clubs/shows around here only have one inboard and the rest of the fleet is light outboard driven boats. I only open water free ski so not sure how well any of the outboard options work in a course but will we see more of them used or do they stink as an option?

Honestly the last 30 years of ski boats that get 20 hours a year on them will last a long time;). I still prefer my father inlaws LXI over a Nautique 200.  Just need to care for them and maybe rebuild an engine every 20 years;)

• Like 3
On 2/10/2024 at 9:18 PM, Cole2001 said:

I thought skiing was making a come back in the first part of Covid but as sales decline I think ski boats will slow the most. My dealer has had a pro star in the showroom since the fall and 2 years ago it was well over a year wait to get one. 

It was the only summer activity that people could easily do. 

19 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

For a ski show an outboard works well as it offers easier maintenance & lower operating costs.  Show ski events don’t require the straight line stability for course work an inboard excels at and do offer the fun nimble bat turns that make a ski show spectacle.  So yes, for the hard core slalom skier an outboard has several drawbacks including platform access & ski rope interference as a couple.

• Like 2
LXRBarefooter

If they’re worried about profit margins perhaps they can go back to a more straightforward and simple approach to boats, a good hull, powerful engine, no frills approach to interior and electronics. 

You could do a SV23 Diamond (19’10”) or a T-Cut (20’6”) hull, no frills alloy LS or LT engine and basic carpet interior, call it the ‘featherweight’ edition or something. 

A flash one with fancy interior and all the bells and whistles could be the ‘pro’ edition (with a price tag to match).

The featherweight version would probably be pretty good for tourney guys too because we all know weight is the enemy of small wakes. 

Cancelling a product line that has been around for the best part of 30 years or better would be a real shame.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LXRBarefooter said:

If they’re worried about profit margins perhaps they can go back to a more straightforward and simple approach to boats, a good hull, powerful engine, no frills approach to interior and electronics. 

You could do a SV23 Diamond (19’10”) or a T-Cut (20’6”) hull, no frills alloy LS or LT engine and basic carpet interior, call it the ‘featherweight’ edition or something. 

A flash one with fancy interior and all the bells and whistles could be the ‘pro’ edition (with a price tag to match).

The featherweight version would probably be pretty good for tourney guys too because we all know weight is the enemy of small wakes. 

Cancelling a product line that has been around for the best part of 30 years or better would be a real shame.

I think that the manufacturers have figured out that they can make the boat that skiers say they want - and won't sell many.  Carbon pro and lxr come to mind.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wedge88 said:

I came to this conclusion after having a "new boat" discussion with my dad over lunch this past weekend.

To those that are serious skiers and footers, what does a new model offer that older gens don't?  Might be design and some tech but the hulls of past models aren't hindering anyone from their passion and most would argue the past gens are even better.  My parents have a 2012 TXI and I don't think a 2024 would enhance our abilities in the course or long line barefooting so why spend $100K to get something that doesn't offer the value?  My parents have had 4 Malibu ski boats and I don't see them ever buying another unless the SSLXi hull and design came back in an budget (Axis) form.  This makes so much more sense to me than an Axis T220-R.  

Surf boats are starting to reach the same point where as "what else can they do to justify the costs?"  My wife and I have had 5 Malibu/Axis boats and we typically upgrade every 2-3 years but that trend has come to an end because the costs have jumped so much, I don't see the value in what I'm paying for.  My 2022 has a great surf wave and the 2024 doesn't give me much if anything more. 

I remember the thread when surf boats eclipsed $100k and everyone was up in arms about it and within a decade we're now staring at $400K boats while the entry level and ski boats topple mid-6 figures.   My parents could put a; new engine, new trailer, new touch panels, new flooring and new upholstery for cheaper than a new boat would cost (though they don't have too because the boat is well taken of and looks brand new 11 years later.) but the point is that if I really wanted to add a ski tractor to my arsenal, I wouldn't consider new but buy an older model and throw less money into making it like new so I can see why Malibu would cut the line.  

It would be purely to have the wakes and pull you’d be seeing in tournaments.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

It would be purely to have the wakes and pull you’d be seeing in tournaments.

That and Zero Off speed control, many tourney skiers are overly passionate about the necessity of skiing with it.  Given Malibu has ended the promo program, the serious / passionate skier will probably pass on the TXI going forward.

LXRBarefooter

@Woodski That’s pretty typical of other disciplines too, if your boats are not towing the national or world championship level tournaments you’re not really in the game. People will move to the boat that is towing these events so they can train behind the same type/style of boat. 

The exception to this is the recreational skier, they’re either mortgaging their house to finance a brand new surf boat or buying a used tourney boat that someone has moved on after two or three seasons. 

Once Malibu drops support for tournaments it is only a matter of time before they drop the response line altogether.

Edited by LXRBarefooter
38 minutes ago, Woodski said:

That and Zero Off speed control, many tourney skiers are overly passionate about the necessity of skiing with it.  Given Malibu has ended the promo program, the serious / passionate skier will probably pass on the TXI going forward.

I don’t know that it’s overly passionate at all, but simply an expensive preparation for a very expensive ski year.  I think TXI values are going to plummet.  

My reference to passion level is the fact that some skiers won’t even take a ride behind a non ZO boat.

Hopefully, people will order a new TXI, that hull has sure been a good one and IMO is a great slalom / barefoot option.

9 minutes ago, Woodski said:

My reference to passion level is the fact that some skiers won’t even take a ride behind a non ZO boat.

Hopefully, people will order a new TXI, that hull has sure been a good one and IMO is a great slalom / barefoot option.

Maybe.  But that ship sailed 15 years ago.  Much different issue if the promo program is no longer going to be supported, which by definition means that there’s going to be very few Malibu showing up to pull any tournaments whatsoever, an absent sufficient participation they’ll never get nationals qualified, which will ultimately mean for tournament skiers, there’s no reason to ever buy a TXI.

35 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Maybe.  But that ship sailed 15 years ago.  Much different issue if the promo program is no longer going to be supported, which by definition means that there’s going to be very few Malibu showing up to pull any tournaments whatsoever, an absent sufficient participation they’ll never get nationals qualified, which will ultimately mean for tournament skiers, there’s no reason to ever buy a TXI.

This is like when Tige sponsored Jamie B and Chris R but never pulled any tournaments.  Wasn't long before they were out of the slalom game after that.