Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WakeRX TriAnchor

EchelonMike

I'm using the off-season to do some re-supply of gear for my new-to-me 2022 23 LSV.  I kept all of my old gear from my old boat, but some of it was...well...old. 

On my list to purchase:

-  New dock lines

- A third inflatable Ronix fender to go with the two I already have

- New anchor with chain and 150' of line

One of my pet peeve's from my old boat was the anchor.  It was a danforth style, but made of aluminum, no chain, and way too light to do anything for me.  The lake we boat in is mostly rock, and it's very deep.  It's really hard to find water below 50-60 feet deep, even back in the coves.  I had sold myself on a box anchor, and went to Amazon to buy one.  I ended up getting served up an ad for the TriAnchor.  It looks like something I'd make in shop class, LOL.  All stainless steel, really thick plate, and folds up very small, and stores in a plastic case.  My fear is it's only 7 lbs, but I added a heavy chain, and I picked up 150' of line as well to get a better pull angle for deep water.  We'll see how she holds this summer!

Anyone tried this anchor or am I the guinea pig?

image.thumb.png.269606d66ede0a304d971fae80612d77.png

-- Mike

I haven’t tried it. But I’ve thought about it as a second anchor for being tied out for longer periods or when I can’t swing 100’. 
for a primary, I’d just go box anchor with rope.  Chain isn’t really necessary for them like traditional anchors. 

If you get it definitely give us a review.

• Like 1

I'd definitely be interested in a review - don't understand how that would work since the pivot direction for the rod seems 90 degrees off.

I guess unless they do intend that it be used with a chain and function like a Danforth and not like a box anchor.

Edited by oldjeep

I like the SS composition and the overall form factor, but… It doesn’t look like it would have the holding power of a box anchor because it doesn’t have the surface area or as many sides with exposed teeth. BICBW. With the triangle shape in a rock bottom, especially a bottom with some monster rocks I would think it would be more prone to getting wedged between them. I boat on a river which averages @ 22 foot deep with a clay bottom and there have been times when I wasn’t sure I was going to get my box anchor back. JM2C

• Like 1

@EchelonMike I bet if it works, a whole lot of TMC members will be following suit.  Love my box anchor but it's heavy and a pain in and out of the storage compartment.  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, wedge88 said:

@EchelonMike I bet if it works, a whole lot of TMC members will be following suit.  Love my box anchor but it's heavy and a pain in and out of the storage compartment.  

Not sure that 7lbs plus a chain is much lighter than the 13lb baby box that I use.

Im guess it will depend on how often you break out the anchor , but 7lbs feels like it’s way to light to justify the pain to lug around a heavier one.

for reference the “baby box” anchor is 13lbs, 

on my 2014 -23 lsv I had the “small” box anchor 19lbs and it did a great job , but anchoring in a busy area or windy spot could still move and shift the spot.

2017 -25lsv tried to use the same “small “ box anchor and ordered the large after 1 mild breezy day.

the large has been the best at holding both 2017 and 2022 25-LSV’s

@EchelonMike
Because you mentioned the depth of your lake are you using a stern line to secure to the shore or just dropping a bow line?

in these 2 pics we are using the large box with a few ft of chain and anchor buddy bow line. The  a stern line to the shore. It’s a shallow sandy area and there is little movement once your lines are properly positioned 

IMG_2402.thumb.jpeg.0905f084c97bb9d7d8df3819dbecf5ca.jpeg

IMG_2401.thumb.png.b8e45ea37af25b897b9c610e71798617.png

if just a bow line I would think you would want a heavier anchor because the physics of the line angle would lift and move your anchor until wedged under a rock formation .

in the pic below we are in 50-60 ft - soft/sand/mud/rock bottom and a light breeze moved us around using the small anchor 

IMG_2403.thumb.jpeg.e715155ba4c3a1d5524d874061b283a7.jpeg

Edited by Stevo

For our muck bottoms the baby box (or maybe it is a small?) is typically difficult to pull back up (used with my VTX).  I will say that I think using chain and bungee lines with one will somewhat defeat the way that it keeps digging and digging when tension is increased on the line.

Edited by oldjeep

I’m surprised at the reports of the box anchor not holding. I have (I think) a small and it’s never moved at all. But it’s heavy and a pain to store. 

I’d love a lighter option that would hold adequately. 

Only time I’ve found my box anchor not to hold is in grass with a rock bottom. Just doesn’t offer enough to grab and will drag. 

I’ve had 5 plus boats one of which a 35ft regal tied to a large with no issues holding. Would be cautious with OP’s linked one being so light tho. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stevo said:

Im guess it will depend on how often you break out the anchor , but 7lbs feels like it’s way to light to justify the pain to lug around a heavier one.

for reference the “baby box” anchor is 13lbs, 

on my 2014 -23 lsv I had the “small” box anchor 19lbs and it did a great job , but anchoring in a busy area or windy spot could still move and shift the spot.

2017 -25lsv tried to use the same “small “ box anchor and ordered the large after 1 mild breezy day.

the large has been the best at holding both 2017 and 2022 25-LSV’s

@EchelonMike
Because you mentioned the depth of your lake are you using a stern line to secure to the shore or just dropping a bow line?

We're typically tied up with another boat or two, in a cove and are usually off the bow.  If we have a breeze I typically will toss off the bow into the wind and add a little reverse to play out a lot of line and hopefully catch a rock.  If we have a few boats together, without space to let the wind swing us around, we'll throw a bow and stern anchor off a few boats to hopefully hold us in place.

3 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I can vouch for the small box anchor holding very well... I've only used it once, but it's still holding! At the bottom of Norris. :Frustrated:

I put a sliding bouy on the rope for my box anchor and it paid off on spades. One 4th of July I had the anchor rope ripped out of my hands due to the current. I knew better than to disconnect it before I pulled the anchor up but was in a hurry to beat the craziness back to the ramp. The water stayed too deep for me to recover that season. My friends ragged on me the rest of the summer telling me how I would never get it back from 30’ of water. Fortunately the next year the water dropped and the bouy stretched the rope out full length and I managed to fish it out with a grapnel in front of all of them. Never know when your going to make a memory!

Edited by wdr
Sp