Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Naked tower custom build?

dshack

I'm working on a custom build of a 2024 23 LSV (G5 tower). I'm not a huge audio guy, I've been content with the 2 pairs of factory Icon 8's on my 2019. I've got younger kids on the boat the majority of the time, so I'm not going to be hammering the volume. At $3974 for 4 icon 8's and $1508 for the amp, it seems like I could potentially get better audio for less $ with just a little effort on my part. I'll likely sell the boat in ~3 years, so resale value matters.

I'm contemplating going with just a pair of rev 10's (can only order 10's from factory if you get 2 pairs and it's like $8K+). But I could be convinced to bump up to a pair of rev 12's. From what I can tell, if I went with the rev 10's it would be $1549 + $200 adapter and a $1200 amp = ~$3000. And if I went rev 12's, it would be $2309 + $200 adapter + $179 adapter and a $1,479 amp = ~$4200.

Am I missing something? Should I just stick with the factory icon 8's? If not, would you suggest 1 pair of rev 10's or 1 pair of rev 12's?

Thanks in advance!

I commented on your Facebook post as well.

I ordered my 2021 with naked tower and added. Ordered my current 2022 with naked tower and no sub. I was way more content with adding my own, aftermarket, and saving a few bucks along the way

But i helped on a project very similar to this in @MountainRider05 and @IXFE boat, as I helped with a harness to add aftermarket amplifiers with the purpose of installing different tower soeakers, subwoofers, or cabin speakers, while keeping OEM Control. For the price you pay, its true that you can for sure get better audio for less $$$. Install is also relatively easy as long as you’re somewhat handy, there is tons of info and install guides out there to reference. 

Edited by Brandonloos21
4 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

I commented on your Facebook post as well.

I ordered my 2021 with naked tower and added. Ordered my current 2022 with naked tower and no sub. I was way more content with adding my own, aftermarket, and saving a few bucks along the way

But i helped on a project very similar to this in @MountainRider05 and @IXFE boat, as I helped with a harness to add aftermarket amplifiers with the purpose of installing different tower soeakers, subwoofers, or cabin speakers, while keeping OEM Control. For the price you pay, its true that you can for sure get better audio for less $$$. Install is also relatively easy as long as you’re somewhat handy, there is tons of info and install guides out there to reference. 

Thanks, your post was very helpful. And I saw several other posts from you on other FB posts / threads here that were helpful!

I'm leaning heavily towards the tower delete path, and installing my own rev 12s. Do you still make the harness adapters?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, dshack said:

Thanks, your post was very helpful. And I saw several other posts from you on other FB posts / threads here that were helpful!

I'm leaning heavily towards the tower delete path, and installing my own rev 12s. Do you still make the harness adapters?

Oh great, yes giving advice is one of my hobbies haha. Also yes I do still, give me a shout! 

Edited by Brandonloos21

I’d skip the icons and do one set of 10s or 12s. The difference between them is substantial and properly tuned/powered one set is plenty. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
WetSoundsTech
On 1/27/2024 at 9:26 PM, dshack said:

I'm working on a custom build of a 2024 23 LSV (G5 tower). I'm not a huge audio guy, I've been content with the 2 pairs of factory Icon 8's on my 2019. I've got younger kids on the boat the majority of the time, so I'm not going to be hammering the volume. At $3974 for 4 icon 8's and $1508 for the amp, it seems like I could potentially get better audio for less $ with just a little effort on my part. I'll likely sell the boat in ~3 years, so resale value matters.

I'm contemplating going with just a pair of rev 10's (can only order 10's from factory if you get 2 pairs and it's like $8K+). But I could be convinced to bump up to a pair of rev 12's. From what I can tell, if I went with the rev 10's it would be $1549 + $200 adapter and a $1200 amp = ~$3000. And if I went rev 12's, it would be $2309 + $200 adapter + $179 adapter and a $1,479 amp = ~$4200.

Am I missing something? Should I just stick with the factory icon 8's? If not, would you suggest 1 pair of rev 10's or 1 pair of rev 12's?

Thanks in advance!

With a pair of rev10s you would get more bang for your buck would recommend going with a Syn-DX2.3HP or a Sinister SDX2 these amps would allow you to add a second pair down the road if wanted and would not need to replace the amp. now if your just wanting to go with a amp to run them only then would recommend a HTX-4(Bridged) or a Syn-DX4(Bridged) if you do one set of the REV12HDs then would do a Sinister SDX2 or a Syn-dx4.

A single pair of larger speakers will deliver deeper mid-bass compared to two pair of smaller speakers. So from a sound quality standpoint, Id go with newest version of a larger speaker. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! Brandonloos helped me out and I went with a pair of rev 12 hds powered by sdx4. Now I've just gotta wait for my new build to arrive!