Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Rail Cross over hoses

Anyone have a source for the cross over hoses that connect the two fuel rails on the Monsoon?    I recall reading somewhere that the rubber part of this high pressure line deteriorates over time, and  this is the last part of the rubber fuel lines that I haven’t replaced.  

Edited by Bozboat
14 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Anyone have a source for the cross over hoses that connect the two fuel rails on the Monsoon?    I recall reading somewhere that the rubber part of this high pressure line deteriorates over time, and  this is the last part of the rubber fuel lines that I haven’t replaced.  

I have not replaced mine either.  It seems like the best bet would be to just take the two parts to a hose shop (NAPA, perhaps?) and have them crimp new hose sections in using new ferrules.

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

I have not replaced mine either.  It seems like the best bet would be to just take the two parts to a hose shop (NAPA, perhaps?) and have them crimp new hose sections in using new ferrules.

I found a local hydraulic line shop that believes they can duplicate.  I need to remove mine and run them over there and see.

1 minute ago, Bozboat said:

I found a local hydraulic line shop that believes they can duplicate.  I need to remove mine and run them over there and see.

Just make sure they use properly rated fuel line.  IIRC, you only need about 8 inches of hose total.

I bought them from this persons ebay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/parts1d414

I don't see it for sale anymore. I bought it back in 2019 and it was called: FUEL LINE CROSSOVER HOSE SLEEVE 786129 PAIR ( 2 ) MARINE BOAT. It was $25 for two of them, it was perfect.

It was a perfect match for me. Mine had cracked and was spewing gasoline...wasn't a fun day on the water

Edited by saskicker32
Add price
5 minutes ago, saskicker32 said:

I bought them from this persons ebay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/parts1d414

I don't see it for sale anymore. I bought it back in 2019 and it was called: FUEL LINE CROSSOVER HOSE SLEEVE 786129 PAIR ( 2 ) MARINE BOAT. It was $25 for two of them, it was perfect.

It was a perfect match for me. Mine had cracked and was spewing gasoline...wasn't a fun day on the water

A quick google search for "Fuel Line Crossover hose sleeve 786129, they seem to be available for $100-$150 each.  I will see what it costs to have them made.

Just now, Bozboat said:

A quick google search for "Fuel Line Crossover hose sleeve 786129, they seem to be available for $100-$150 each.  I will see what it costs to have them made.

That's what I recall seeing elsewhere and was bummed to have to pay that much for like a 9" hose. I was so excited to see it on ebay. You may be able to reach out to him on ebay and maybe he can source them?

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

I bought one from inboardonline.com, mine were solid lines, for $93.75. Was going to have the only close shop make me one, Thompsons, but I am still recovering financially from when I had them build me the line from the fuel pump to the high pressure filter. :rant:

https://inboardonline.com/fuel-line-crossover-hose-786129/

Inflation? See there is none! It's the same price I paid May of 2022. :whistle:

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Hmmmmm.  I'm going to see if I have the correct hose lying around.  Crimping a ferrule is pretty easy to do, even if I have to mill a new crimp die.  All of my hoses on the engine are original, so I could use it several times and then set up a DIY tool loan program.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 1997 Response with the 320 Monsoon. My boat has the fuel line from the fuel filter to the rail that is metal tube on both ends with the fittings and a flexible hose swaged (?) on in the middle. Anyone know what the service life is for those? Thinking I should replace them. Do I just find someone to replace the flexible sections? Can I just go with the Stainless woven flexible lines instead?

2 hours ago, RODONNELL said:

I have a 1997 Response with the 320 Monsoon. My boat has the fuel line from the fuel filter to the rail that is metal tube on both ends with the fittings and a flexible hose swaged (?) on in the middle. Anyone know what the service life is for those? Thinking I should replace them. Do I just find someone to replace the flexible sections? Can I just go with the Stainless woven flexible lines instead?

Those are the hoses we are discussing.  If you have multi port injection, the crossover hoses distribute fuel from one rail to the other.  The more modern ones are hard pipe with about a four inch section of rubber hose in the middle (to stop "fuel hammer").  Rubber hoses deteriorate over time, and most of us have changed the fuel lines already, but I know I overlooked all of them on the engine.

I thought about it a little more and decided that crimping on a new ferrule should be simple, but the hard pipe no doubt has a bead that the ferrule won't fit over.  Maybe @Bozboat can give us a report after he cuts his apart....  If not, I'm sure a fellow could cut the old hose off and use two screw clamps on each hose end.  That would at least get us a look at one to decide how to proceed without leaving the boat useless.  Oetiker clamps would work also.

@RODONNELLYes, there is a reason not to use that part. The point of the indmar part is to prevent "fuel hammer" with the rubber portion. As stated above.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

My understanding is that the crossover hoses that go to between the fuel rails are what fixes the fuel Hammer issue. I am speaking about the hoses that run from the fuel filter to the back of the left fuel rail and the tube/hose that runs from the fuel pressure control valve back on the right fuel rail to the base of the fuel pump and back to the tank. Both of those have metal (SS?) tube ends with flexible hose in the middle.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased some crossover lines from online inboard parts. They look a little different but fit, the orange cover looks like heat protection. They can’t go straight across as the distributor gets in the way.  While installing the front (DD) crossover line I discovered that the Allen screw holding the fuel rail tight had back completely out.   I am having a line made to replace the line that goes from the high pressure fuel pump to the fuel filter and should get that next week.

IMG_4712.jpeg

IMG_4708.jpeg

IMG_4706.jpeg

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4696.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2

New high pressure fuel line. Makes a U shaped connection between the fuel pump and filter.   Old one had some cracks in it and is brittle. 

IMG_4756.jpeg

IMG_4755.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting, my new crossover looks like yours, but didn’t come with the heat guard wrap. From the looks of it, might get a few more horsepower if you take it off. Unless you like the look. Also, guess I’m not the only one that uses red rtv on the thermostat. :cheers:

3 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

guess I’m not the only one that uses red rtv on the thermostat.

... And the water hose, and the manifold risers, and... He puts that s*** on everything!

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, justgary said:

... And the water hose, and the manifold risers, and... He puts that s*** on everything!

It’s not flex seal, I didn’t know it had so many other uses. @Bozboat What else you put that stuff on? 

7 hours ago, Woodski said:

It does come in black…

But then he might not be able to tell if he put any on.  I can picture the endless cycle of installing the thermostat, then wondering if it had sealant, removing it, adding sealant, installing it....

• Haha 2

Brutal Crowd here. :Doh:  Red because that was what I had on hand. No, didn't use it anywhere other than the thermostat housing and the risers. The surface on the intake manifold is a little rough so the rtv makes a better seal.  Now, I am thinking that I will use it to seal the dog house.

• Haha 1
formulaben
On 2/27/2024 at 9:47 AM, Bozboat said:

Brutal Crowd here. :Doh:  

We only abuse the ones we love, Boz. ;)

• Like 3