Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone had any experience with Pop Yachts or Pop Sells?

JeffK

Just curious if anyone has used them before. Seems ok, but figured I'd check to see if anyone else has had experience with them before pulling the trigger. Seems like no out of pocket expenses from what I can tell.

I sold my 06 VLX through them back in 2014. Worked, but once you sign with them you can't sell any other way without paying them$$$. I forget what % they got of the sale. 

Edited by dalt1

Selling this go-round.

@dalt1 They must have changed things up since then. It sounds like you can still list separately now. And you can cancel at any point. I think they realized that wasn't the best approach. You just can't list for sale by owner on the same sites they use.

11 hours ago, JeffK said:

Selling this go-round.

@dalt1 They must have changed things up since then. It sounds like you can still list separately now. And you can cancel at any point. I think they realized that wasn't the best approach. You just can't list for sale by owner on the same sites they use.

You have jogged my memory now. Now that I think about it, I think I was able to list otherwise but if the buyer contacted POP they could not go back and purchase outside of them. My boat was on Craigslist at the time and I remember telling the buyer I wished they had checked there first. I made about the same $$ as my Pop Yacht add was a certain % up from market price so I got my cut.

12 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I sold my 06 VLX through them back in 2014. Worked, but once you sign with them you can't sell any other way without paying them$$$. I forget what % they got of the sale. 

That was not the case in 2014.  I bought my VTX in 2014.  Owner had it listed on Pop Yachts and craigslist.  I bought it off CL where it was advertised for significantly less. 

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

That was not the case in 2014.  I bought my VTX in 2014.  Owner had it listed on Pop Yachts and craigslist.  I bought it off CL where it was advertised for significantly less. 

But you probably never contacted POP? You may have missed my last post just before yours explaining more if i remember correctly.

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

But you probably never contacted POP? You may have missed my last post just before yours explaining more if i remember correctly.

No - saw the ad there when I was doing my search but never contacted them

A good friend of mine has built this site and has been putting a lot of time into it.  For listing on his site, it is free and no contracts for when it sells.  Give it a consideration as well.  https://www.boatible.com/ 

Edited by bcoppess23
16 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

A good friend of mine has built this site and has been putting a lot of time into it.  For listing on his site, it is free and no contracts for when it sells.  Give it a consideration as well.  https://www.boatible.com/ 

So is he stripping ads from other sites to come up with that list?

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

So is he stripping ads from other sites to come up with that list?

He is able to work directly with the dealership webpages to pull the data similar to the bigger known names but faster, cheaper, and less manual entry from the dealers.

11 hours ago, dalt1 said:

You have jogged my memory now. Now that I think about it, I think I was able to list otherwise but if the buyer contacted POP they could not go back and purchase outside of them. My boat was on Craigslist at the time and I remember telling the buyer I wished they had checked there first. I made about the same $$ as my Pop Yacht add was a certain % up from market price so I got my cut.

The way I am doing it now, I gave them my price, then they marked it up form there to get their commission. We have a not to fall below for my side.

11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

If you have it listed in both places, it just all depends on how the seller finds you. If they go to you first, they get your price, if they go through pop and pop has declared them as a contact to me, I just can't sell direct to those people. But I can declare where I am advertising the boat and that's all good to them.

I remember seeing boats listed both ways in the past, and the markup seemed incredibly high.  I was shocked the pop yachts actually sold boats at such inflated prices.  Maybe this has changed in recent years.  IDK

• 2 weeks later...
formulaben

I never had an actual sales transaction with Pop Yachts, but when searching for my cabin cruiser I spoke with them and was added to the sales email list, with requisite filters for my idea candidate.  It was great getting so many boat candidates emailed to me daily, but probably more than half did not fit the filter criteria I specified (frustrating) but worse than that about every month or so a different salesman from the same company would suddenly email me and act like we've been working together or that he had taken over the account, but without directly saying so.  Not sure if that was their way of "demoting" the previous salesperson if there isn't movement or what, but it too was a hassle.