Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice on new boat Malibu/Axis

Tsdahc

I’m looking at getting a new surf boat.  I have a few holdovers I’m looking at.  They are all optioned pretty close, the Malibu may have a few extras like stainless cup holders but otherwise about the same.  All have m5, power wedge 3, level 2 sound and all are right around the same price.  Crew is 3-8 mix of kids and adults.  Mostly surfing, kid tubing, and cruising.  Lake can get a little rough with weekend traffic.  Will be trailered and stored in a garage and a 23 won’t fit easily in my garage.  Malibu is the oldest but the interiors always look a little nicer than Axis.  The Axis are a year newer and look to have more freeboard.  Haven’t been in any of them and it’s currently 5 and snowing here.

Malibu 2022 21LX

Axis 2023 A225

Axis 2023 T220

of what you list, the 21LX is the lightest (by 3-400 lbs), shortest (by a foot), and more narrow (98" vs 102").  if you are planning to ski maybe those would be advantages, but if wanting to surf, bring a larger crew, or worried about rough weekend traffic, they all work against you.

so i'd lean towards the larger Axis options, both get great reviews by those who have owned them.  I personally like the wide bow (like A225) when kids are elementary-school age especially, as ~4 of them would routinely ride up there in their own little zone; i've noticed as my kids hit teenagerdom that only 2 people go up there regardless (maybe cramming in groups isn't cool?).   But the T220 bow is only a tiny bit smaller so its only a small difference (old T22 and T23 bows were significantly smaller).

Not sure how tight the garage fit is, but may want to ask dealer (or someone here can chime in) on total length of either boat on trailer (swing away tongue, swim platform) to see if the 7" difference in length between A225 and T220 will matter for you.  Else i'd break the tie based on colors, options or price and go enjoy.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

I’d highly suggest one of the axis options you are looking at for the space. You will never have enough regardless of boat, but 5-8 in the 21LX is definitely doable but it’s going to be very very tight. Especially if you are out for the whole day once you are out. 

I looked at all three as they all work for my 36” deep canal and short bridge. The smaller size and weight and higher price of the Malibu was a problem for me when comparing to Axis. I got custom GatorStep flooring and decking and stainless cup holders on Amazon and Skylocks for my 2024 T220 order as nice ways to close the feature gap to Malibu at a much cheaper price point overall and for more space and a better wave than the 21LX. Otherwise, axis quality has come a long way recently (great touch screen, improved cushions, same engines and surf system, same warranty, ect). 

Edited by MikeR397
  • Like 1

Right now I’m leaning to A225, for some reason specs show it’s a little shorter on trailer than the T220.  The T would be better for the choppy weekends but my local dealer only has a left over A.  If I get a BU or the T I’d have to go to an out of territory dealer, and while I know the local will work on it for warranty I’d rather start to see if I can get the A for what I want to get it for first.

appreciate everyone’s insight.

• Like 1

I had a 23 LSV and just ordered an A225 because I actually wanted something a little bit smaller. When I was shopping for boats, everybody always said bigger to accommodate your crew. Something that was never discussed though is do you live on the lake or are you going out on the lake. I found the 23 to be too big because we are on the lake, and usually the crew is not that big because people are back at the house partying, etc. 

21 hours ago, Tsdahc said:

Right now I’m leaning to A225, for some reason specs show it’s a little shorter on trailer than the T220.  The T would be better for the choppy weekends but my local dealer only has a left over A.  If I get a BU or the T I’d have to go to an out of territory dealer, and while I know the local will work on it for warranty I’d rather start to see if I can get the A for what I want to get it for first.

appreciate everyone’s insight.

Having a good relationship with your local dealer can be a huge advantage.  Even without the dealer advantage, having been behind all of the boats you mentioned, I would pick the A225 as well.    I personally like the extra bow room for having a boat full of kids, plus any extra bow weight (IMO) helps with the wake shape on the Axis hulls.