Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2024 Boat Show impressions

CaptainMorgan

1 hour ago, rennis said:

The local Malibu dealer isn't known for being, uh, the smartest when it comes to pricing and selling. They flat out do not move the volume of boats the market would suggest it should. 

Facts, but I love them for helping prop up used Malibu values across the entire PNW!

For them to offer 10% off MSRP, they must be in the same camp as @The Hulk on the economy. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, rennis said:

The local Malibu dealer isn't known for being, uh, the smartest when it comes to pricing and selling. They flat out do not move the volume of boats the market would suggest it should. 

Seems like since union marine took over nautique in our area they’ve moved towards that model as well. 

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

For them to offer 10% off MSRP, they must be in the same camp as @The Hulk on the economy. 

Naaa, everyone knows the economy is still in fire!

Edited by The Hulk
17 hours ago, windy1 said:

Just got back from the Tulsa show. Malibu, Tige and a new boat called Varatti were the only (real) wakeboats at the show. The cheapest one was an Axis A22 at a show special of $117,000 with trailer. I actually thought the Varatti was one of the nicest boats at the show. It comes standard with joystick controlled bow and stern thrusters. Fit and finish looked great but prices were up around $200,000. If I was considering a new boat I would be looking hard at the Axis. It has everything you need and nothing you dont.

Very short surf gate.. easy to go below water and wave is blaaa at best according to some "bro surfer's'. They said it's supposed to be a cross over boat but isn't this category dead?

are they paying royalties for their SG?

Their price has skyrocketed for a budget brand.

Actuating tower nice touch compared to larger mfgs! A reason why the larger brands are trying to revamp their towers to similar UP/DN (less folding) will SUPRA, Malibu, centurion release theirs first? 

Varatti is paying Malibu for surfgate royaoties and the gates do look dinky compared to Malibu. The boat looks great but I would need a demo

We were impressed with Tige’s new boat to compete with the M and G series boats, the Ultre 23&25ZX. I have no experience with Tige but really liked the design ideas on that boat. Well thought out seats with multiple positions, cavernous under seat storage, and my wife’s favorite item, a decent sized electric fridge! They had both models at the show. I didn’t ask about the 25 but boat show price on the 23 was $330K.

21 hours ago, Nick55 said:

@rennis Did it seem like there were boats moving at the show? In my opinion, Supra, MC, and Centurion had some decent discounts (off the meaningless MSRP) but Malibu and Nautique don't sound like they were dealing much.  

Agree that Malibu and Nautique were listing some pretty optimistic boat show prices compared to the discounts other brands were offering.  That 2023 X26 was a great deal for someone in the Baller category, I bet that boat sold this weekend.  All of the dealers were advertising other in stock boats with decent discounts on billboards positioned around their displays - something basically none of them had the last few years. 

I'm pretty sure they will all sell some boats.  I don't think any records are going to be set, but they wouldn't be there if they didn't think they could move some units.

NW Inboards looked to me like they were closing two deals Friday night when we were hanging around. 

Edited by rennis

FWIW a salesperson for our local Malibu/Axis dealer just told me they sold 30ish boats at the boat show this weekend so far. Seems high to me but that's what he said!

1 hour ago, dshack said:

FWIW a salesperson for our local Malibu/Axis dealer just told me they sold 30ish boats at the boat show this weekend so far. Seems high to me but that's what he said!

Our local Malibu dealer here in Oregon said all the wake boats they have in their shop are sold. There were like 8-10 Axis’ and Malibu’s there. He said boat show was really good. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dshack said:

I was told by someone in the industry last night that the Utah boat show has been a good one for their dealers down there. 

ahopkins22LSV

In the hour I spent in the Tommy’s booth yesterday, they took 6 deposits. They sell pontoons too so not sure what they were fore but seemed like they were doing well. 

The Detroit show was represented well across all brands and types of boats. When the big boys with the 700k+ boats stop showing up to the Detroit show, I’ll start getting worried. Fountain, Nortech and Sunsation were even there. 

• Like 3

So some shows were good, some were bad, and we can't really draw anything from this.   :lol:

23 hours ago, windy1 said:

Varatti is paying Malibu for surfgate royaoties and the gates do look dinky compared to Malibu. The boat looks great but I would need a demo

If I remember the lawsuits correctly anyone who has a attachment on the stern for surfing pays Malibu royalties. 

I talked with a company rep for Varatti on the gate and he stated that the crabwalk affect with the tiny gate was similar to the much larger ones they tried. 

I loved the new steering wheel controls it has. 

More so I am loving what both 9 and Eufaula cove (extreme) have done for improvements. I saw 9 will also be a Donzi dealer now. 

Did you see the twin 500HP toon that Extreme had, he claimed 80mph+.

Edited by cowwboy
13 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

The Detroit show was represented well across all brands and types of boats. When the big boys with the 700k+ boats stop showing up to the Detroit show, I’ll start getting worried. Fountain, Nortech and Sunsation were even there. 

Jealous.  We don't get any of the offshore boats in the Seattle show anymore.  It's been at least 10-15 years since I remember seeing one in the show here.  I would spend most of my time nosing around in those if they were here. I love those stupid things and wish I could have one.  And yes, I have questionable taste and I'm approximately 18 years old in terms of maturity.  :salute:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

In the hour I spent in the Tommy’s booth yesterday, they took 6 deposits. They sell pontoons too so not sure what they were fore but seemed like they were doing well. 

Did the have the mezzanine and gong set up?  I heard that they are doing away with that this year.  I'll probably have to pay for my beers too.....

ahopkins22LSV
15 minutes ago, rennis said:

Jealous.  We don't get any of the offshore boats in the Seattle show anymore.  It's been at least 10-15 years since I remember seeing one in the show here.  I would spend most of my time nosing around in those if they were here. I love those stupid things and wish I could have one.  And yes, I have questionable taste and I'm approximately 18 years old in terms of maturity.  :salute:

Sunsation had their 200th 32’ CCX there and it was their first with twin 500’s. They said they were already hitting near 80 and expecting 90+ once the jack plates and props are tuned in. It was my first time ever seeing one in person. Pretty impressive. They are made about a mile from my friends parents place so we see them on the water all the time. 

Fountain had a 38’ center console I think. It had twin 450’s if I’m remembering correctly. We didn’t spend any time on it though. 

Formula had a ton of sport cruisers there too. I really miss their fastech’s.

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Did the have the mezzanine and gong set up?  I heard that they are doing away with that this year.  I'll probably have to pay for my beers too.....

They did have! Not sure what their GR show plan is. Their setup this year was one of the nicer I’ve seen in recent years

• Like 2
On 2/2/2024 at 3:37 PM, dshack said:

I did play around with the Natalie seat in the 23 LSV and am re-thinking that maybe I should add it to our order. In Utah there's plenty of cold mornings where it'd be nice to flip it up quickly, and it'd be nice for piling kids up front. But hard to justify at $3Kish. Would be curious to see if anyone has a strong opinion on it.

We love it.  Wouldn't buy another one without it.  Making a 'play pen' is cool for the kids.  Being able to ride three across is clutch.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

We love it.  Wouldn't buy another one without it.  Making a 'play pen' is cool for the kids.  Being able to ride three across is clutch.

Dangit, I went back and checked it out and decided not to spend the $ on it. I just get annoyed by the latch requring 2 hands (same as the flip up seats on our 2019). Now you are making me rethink it!

14 minutes ago, dshack said:

Dangit, I went back and checked it out and decided not to spend the $ on it. I just get annoyed by the latch requring 2 hands (same as the flip up seats on our 2019). Now you are making me rethink it!

Rethink it! We love it too. Use it all the time unlike the rearview bench. It's great for cruising especially at Lake Powell or Flaming Gorge. 

More reports back from MI.

High end doing moderate albeit below 2019 levels 

Super low end (sub 60k) same

Mid range getting killed 70-225k range 

(Round numbers based in a few)

Boat lift sales continue with an even larger majority being for toon setup's/bunks this year. Lift sales all well below pre COVID, across the board but not necessary by every brand.. 

According to several lift mfgs.. wake boats are getting hit the hardest, and the most expensive lift brands are getting hit hard as well while budget lift sales/ places are doing alright, to the extent many dealers are looking or considering adding a budget lift option if they don't already or only offer a higher end brand. Granted all below pre pandemic currently.

Stocks still high which a few places have said kept some buyers confidence up, but everyone's having to work a lot harder for a sale again.

Time will tell...

It makes a lot of sense that boat lift sales are taking a hard hit while the volume of single family home sales has been massively repressed by low supply and high financing costs.   I think that niche is more symptomatic of problems in the residential real estate industry vs. boating.