Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2024 Boat Show impressions

CaptainMorgan

tis the boat show season.  thought i'd share a few observations from my local, small-ish show:

- felt pre-covid (other than actual numbers being advertised):  Moderately crowded; dealers have inventory and are working to sell you stuff again vs allowing you the privilege of buying something months later.

- only wakeboats at our show were a T235 and a 23 LSV.  The T235 was surprisingly bigger with nicer fit/finish than i was expecting.  foam for seats felt more dense than in the past, vinyl felt better/tighter, gaps/hinges were symmetric & smooth (hasn't always been the case), soft grip in many small places around dash.  Bow was significantly more roomy than 23LSV.   Bimini is BIG, especially compared to my 5yr old A24.  The rear PnP locker seemed shallow; not sure if that's an optical illusion, but if crawling in there it could be tight for engine access.  can't recall if it was on both boats, but the 23LSV engine divider panels were phillips screws - seems like this would be a pain vs the T-handles i'm used to (is that the new norm?).  Overall, very impressed with the T235 (after looking at both back to back, asked my 12yr old if he thought the Malibu was a lot nicer and he said "eh, seems the same to me" which i'll take as a compliment to the Axis more than a knock on the Malibu)

- holy pontoons!  maybe its a regional thing, but way more pontoons than 5 yrs ago.  tons of dealers, tons of sizes, tons of prices - options ranging from 40k to 240k.  i definitely see the appeal if you are only pulling an occasional tuber and don't deal with rough water;  hard to beat in terms of space for entertaining. 

- loan rates: best i saw/was quoted was 6.74%; couple others offered 7 and change. 

• Like 3

I went to our local show too. Prices seem really high to me. 2024 23 LSV boat show prices were from 188k up (nicely equipped: M6, clamping racks, heater, Bimini, flip down swim step). Nautique and Centurion were even higher. 

20240118_150338.jpg

20240118_150347.jpg

20240118_151832.jpg

Even the pontoons went over 300k. Seems insane. It's 2 pontoons and a platform, tower, and some electronics. Crazy!

It was interesting that a lot of the boats listed also said the 2023 models are so available for 30k less (or something in that range depending on model). 

20240118_144950.jpg

20240118_144610.jpg

Went Friday night.  Didn't seem very busy.  Fewer different small vendors than usual.  Bought a new radar life jacket and wife bought some expensive lawn furniture.

Only boat price I noticed was 99k for a stripped down Malibu that had a bare floor.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, Sixer said:

It was interesting that a lot of the boats listed also said the 2023 models are so available for 30k less (or something in that range depending on model). 

my sales guy also teased similar theme as i was drooling over the T235 (boat show price 135k w/ M6, the 23LSV said 170k).  In both cases, he said he has 2023 leftovers that'd be at least 20k lower. 

even though she didn't attend the show, my wife noticed one difference compared to a few years ago - goodie bag my son brought home was much lighter!   Exhibitors definitely cut back on free stuff (less candy, pencils, floating keychains etc).  5 yrs ago, every brand also had a printed, glossy brochure - not anymore, just QR codes to scan for more info.

58 minutes ago, Sixer said:

Even the pontoons went over 300k. Seems insane. It's 2 pontoons and a platform, tower, and some electronics. Crazy!

20240118_144950.jpg

20240118_144610.jpg

ONLY $2,299 a month! with 20% down. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
24 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

800 HP!   Got to pay to play!

Right! Don't all pontoons NEED twin 400's?

• Like 1

I’d say the average toon at the Chicago show had 500hp. 
I did notice Nautique did not publish a show price for thr G23 at Chicago but the G23 Paragon was $340k for a $418k boat.  
i did observe the same missing swag.  I was looking for a new floating keychain but didn’t find one.  Also minimal non-boat manufacturer vendors.  Overall, I was disappointed with Chicago’s show.  When I went 15 years ago with Dad there were 40-60’ boats inside that we could go through.  This year it was 40% pontoons, the major surf/wake boats for about 20%, and maybe 10% each of fishing, bowriders, center consoles, and day cruisers up to 38’ or so. 

I went to the Denver boat show and the good guys show prices made me realize that my 2018 22 MXZ is worth what I paid for it.  To replace it with a new boat would literally cost me double what I paid for it.  And I live in a land locked state.  Unreal.  

4 minutes ago, MikeR397 said:

And the government tells us inflation has averaged less than 4.5% from 2020-2024. That’s why everything has doubled in price…

Well, it depends on what you are looking at.  Overpriced wake boats - yes.

I usually go to the Chicago boat show, but the weather kept us from making the drive this year.  South Bend boat show is this weekend so I will go check that out.  It is a small show and no Malibu dealer there.  Nautique, Moomba, Supra, MB and Heyday are all the wake boats that are represented by dealers.  Most of the pontoons will be represented since a large amount of them are made locally.
Grand Rapids is usually one of my favorite shows to go to because they have a good amount of watersport gear there to choose from that Chicago or South Bend doesn't have.  Unfortunately, I can't go to that one either since I will be in Arizona that weekend.  Really missing out on my boat show fix this year.

Nautique S series (not GS) was intriguing and stood out to me. 25ft boat at 160k! Seems they want to go after axis and other budget models? Sad to say 160k is a budget surf boat now in the 23-25 category! But you had a 450k P25, 300+k G, 200k+ GS, and a 160k S25.. interesting to say the least.  The S series may play well against an Axis if not a Malibu.. Nautique fit/finish is always on another level, I suspect this could be a hot if pricing remains entry level. I was shocked the GS series has increased so much but maks sense with the S I suppose. 

Malibu had some cool colored boats. Wasn't impressed with the 26lsv as I'd hoped for the price. Bow speakers might as well just put them in the middle of the seats, they've should have recessed these into a cubby of some sort!

Some other MFGs have really caught up to Malibu for interiors, amenities etc. 

Centurion 26.5 is a beast, was surprised how much taller/larger it looked against the 24.5.

One take away from Minneapolis show was that the smaller brands have all caught up on price.. 300+k for tiger, Supra, centurion etc.. while I didn't go down the option list in detail,  it appears price wise everyone has caught up to basically similar prices for similar size and options. Main takeaway is that a "budget"surf boat is now $150-200k range. 

Some boat dealers said sales were zilch, others  sold a few and said sales were below pre pandemic and a bit below normal. Some panic was starting to set in but no admissions. 

I overheard convos from a Nautique factory rep harping on a dealer to push more inventory and the sales guy said he was trying and things keep falling through. I overheard Malibu rep discussing how they just have a ton of inventory in the field that they are trying to work through.

Higher priced boats (check writers/buyers) still seems to be out there while lower end market sub 250k buyers/financers has vanished. Take the Paragon series.. doing well still!!! Crazy!! Jokes aside I actually think the  Paragon is now more of a multi millionaire surgeon's status symbol  than a surf boat! 

The GONG at the show was few And far between.. and according to a few guys the majority of the gongs were PWC sales. 

Docks + lifts: Dock sales were the take away, lift sales were minimal.  lift MFGs are scrambling to catch up on larger lifts.. many if6 the newer 23-25ft boats are 7-8k+lbs  DRY and in the range of 8-9k with gas , (no gear or ppl!)

The 8-10k Lifts will become the norm over the next 5yrs as were 5-7k lifts the past 5yrs and 4-6ks before that..

Basically things are below pre pandemic levels for most, the question remains be by how much... Ppl seem to be pricing around and doing a lot more comparisons and homework. Buyer holds the upper hand again. 

hoping to make the rounds to Toronto, Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, grand rapids, but may go skiing and skip a few as they are all getting too similar these days.  

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Hitting the Seattle show Feb 7th, can't wait for that 1st hit of fresh fiberglass smell when I walk in!

This is probably the best part. It is the kickoff to the season and that first day back on the lake doesn't feel as far away anymore!

• Like 2

Its 45 days unti what i consider the start of ski season.  March 10, daylight savings, is the first day I can ski after work without leaving early.  Just 45 days. . .  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Its 45 days unti what i consider the start of ski season.  March 10, daylight savings, is the first day I can ski after work without leaving early.  Just 45 days. . .  

Sunset by date:

Jan 31 6:03pm

Feb 28 6:30pm

Mar 10 7:39pm

Mar 31 7:56pm

BRING IT ON!   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

Sunset by date:

Jan 31 6:03pm

Feb 28 6:30pm

Mar 10 7:39pm

Mar 31 7:56pm

BRING IT ON!   

Must be nice!

North Idaho times:

jan 31 4:46pm

feb 29 5:31pm

mar 10 6:46pm

mar 31 7:16pm

Jun 22 8:49pm 

less about daylight and more about water that is cold AF up here though. 

Edited by CDAWake
  • Haha 2
On 1/22/2024 at 7:26 AM, Hemmy said:

I usually go to the Chicago boat show, but the weather kept us from making the drive this year.  South Bend boat show is this weekend so I will go check that out.  It is a small show and no Malibu dealer there.  Nautique, Moomba, Supra, MB and Heyday are all the wake boats that are represented by dealers.  Most of the pontoons will be represented since a large amount of them are made locally.
Grand Rapids is usually one of my favorite shows to go to because they have a good amount of watersport gear there to choose from that Chicago or South Bend doesn't have.  Unfortunately, I can't go to that one either since I will be in Arizona that weekend.  Really missing out on my boat show fix this year.

Sounds like you need to make a trip down to Indy again.  Come the same time @The Hulk comes and we can all grab drinks!

Edited by bcoppess23
  • Like 2