Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2024 Boat Show impressions

CaptainMorgan

17 hours ago, redrooster said:

And yet freight has doubled. And freight companies are going under left and right.  

Freight prices had stabilized post-pandemic but the drought in Panama and the attacks in the Red Sea are seriously messing with these costs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anybody see a price on the Malibu LX?  I'm just curious to compare it to the LX-R.  The LX-R just doesn't make sense to me.  It's so stripped down, it seems like it would be a black eye for Malibu.  I get trying to entice people into buying into the Malibu name, but no Power Wedge, no flooring at all (carpet or soft grip), no tower speakers......Just seems like they're stripping it down too far.  

I wonder if I can get into a new BMW X5M for $40k if I tell them I don't want doors or carpet in it.  They can have the speakers in the back too, maybe save me another $1000.

EDIT:  I just looked on the Malibu website.  The LX-R also only has 1 tracking fin, and the LX has 2.  I wonder if there's a big difference in the feel of that.....

Edited by Sixer
2 hours ago, Sixer said:

Anybody see a price on the Malibu LX?  I'm just curious to compare it to the LX-R.  The LX-R just doesn't make sense to me.  It's so stripped down, it seems like it would be a black eye for Malibu.  I get trying to entice people into buying into the Malibu name, but no Power Wedge, no flooring at all (carpet or soft grip), no tower speakers......Just seems like they're stripping it down too far.  

Doesnt even come with a cover.

Its a really odd move by Malibu.

I talked to one of the dealers Friday at my small local boat show.  This dealer also goes to the Chicago boat show.  He said this might have been the last year for the Chicago boat show.  He said the organizers want to do away with it.  Not sure what the reasons are, but attendance was down this year, but partly because the weather was terrible that weekend.

@The Hulk MSRP on their S23 was $226,000.  Their boat show price was $197,000.  The S series is far from Nautique's budget boat.  This is just their answer to a traditional bow boat.

1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

I talked to one of the dealers Friday at my small local boat show.  This dealer also goes to the Chicago boat show.  He said this might have been the last year for the Chicago boat show.  He said the organizers want to do away with it.  Not sure what the reasons are, but attendance was down this year, but partly because the weather was terrible that weekend.

@The Hulk MSRP on their S23 was $226,000.  Their boat show price was $197,000.  The S series is far from Nautique's budget boat.  This is just their answer to a traditional bow boat.

Yeah, the S series is just the current version of the SAN210 and 230.

4 hours ago, bamaboy said:

It seems to me that you can't get into anything even relatively nice under 150K.  

That Axis T250 posted above, first picture from the KY boat show, is "decently" optioned.    Compared to my boat, it has 5 outlet heater vs 3 on mine, has only one pair of Rev 10's vs two pair on my boat, it has a fire suppression system and I don't, 170a alternator vs 115 on mine, blue LED underseat lights vs white on mine, a 2nd gorilla fin vs only one on mine, 18" wheels on the tandem axle vs 14" wheels on mine, a battery charger installed onboard and I don't have one at all,...both are M6 T250's with PTM clamping racks.   I paid significantly less than $150K for my boat with no pre-existing relationship with the dealer as a first time boat owner.... Is an Axis a Malibu?  Obviously not, but there aren't many options missing from my boat other than finish/colors and trailer upgrades.   

I think with the lack of transparency that has always existed on boat MSRP's and option pricing AND the current economic uncertainty affecting dealers differently based on their size and markets, it's hard to draw any conclusions.  A no haggle pricing model from a manufacturer, NOT a dealer's own policy, seems like it would flip the whole boating industry upside down.   

Edited by dizzygti
On 1/27/2024 at 6:05 PM, Woodski said:

In the late '90's you could buy and own 3-4 Responses for what you save on that purchase!!

Uh I may be mistaken but it's not 3-4 it's ~10 responses for that price in the mid-90s.

My dad still has his '96 response and he was actually mad luxury tax had dropped off because it fell below the 10k appraised threshold the tax has and then a year later it came back and he owed tax on it again because the new market value went above the 10k threshold.

3 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I got that feeling too when I was there in Chicago.  But it was also less than half the size as when I was there years ago.  I’d wager to say the boat show crowds are at least more respectful of the boats, I was in one boat and it had drawers of cutlery, plates, and glassware, and they’re were all still there. 
I used to work for a high line car dealer and we’d get auto show cars in to recondition for the next show and we’d have to replace every shift knob, every lock knob, and often radios and all sorts of crap people would steal/destroy.  Some jackhole actually took an oil filler cap once.  Like WTH.  I would guess that’s when cars started getting locked and you couldn’t touch……

Actually, I’d venture to say that it is a huge financial risk to do anything in McCormick Place. You can’t plug a cord into an outlet if you’re not a union electrician there.  Every boat/trailer in being demo’s there needs drained of fuel, and hooked up to a power supply, coordinating that,  you’d have to sell a good chunk of boats to make it work out. 

3 hours ago, COOP said:

Doesnt even come with a cover.

Its a really odd move by Malibu.

My understanding is this line is more to compete with the Yamaha crowd so they don't have to make the first bad step into a jet boat, then work their way over to the inboard world. The pricing is what you would see in a 21 ft yamaha

• Like 2
On 1/27/2024 at 10:58 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Our show is in two weeks.  We have a solid Tige dealer here.  I am most interested in if you all have seen the Ultre up close?

Tiger has come a loooooong way!

On 1/28/2024 at 5:31 PM, oldjeep said:

Ups shipping is still pretty much same and the fuel charge seems to have dropped.  I do agree on groceries - lumber seems to have come down recently, at least finished boards.  But I would agree that in general prices are still up, just not as bad as last year.

FedEx and UPS + USPS had large increases at the beginning of the year.

They also made it harder to hit their discount tires.. 

Same with ocean freight adding lots of extra surcharges and fees apart from actual freight costs.. 

Costs are still rising just not nearly at the pace.. I'm praying for an actual reduction in something soon! Ha

While most things at the grocery are getting smaller and more expensive.. wake boats are getting bigger and waaaay more expensive! 

Edited by The Hulk
6 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I never understood why these morons run the show so early around holidays and while the majority of the country is on vacation.

This show is and has always been bad.. it's a bad market between small lake boats, and big lake MI yacht boats/Marina's.. it's an odd market and I have skipped for years now

Detroit was huge long ago, died after great recession and has slowly come more back to life.. supposedly the largest in 10yrs now, so may head up there during the week to avoid crowds..

Shows and show mgr got crazy on prices over the years, especially at Union Mafia run exhibition centers.  It's very difficult to justify a show for many guys without co-op shared expenses from the factory.. larger shows have the issue that 75% of lookers aren't in your local anyway.

Many dealers are starting to forgo boat shows and are hosting in house shows bringing in food, local vendors, music, etc... If you have to sell a boat or several boats just to cover show expenses it gets crazy real quick.. everyone is riding the high of the past few years.. many I've talked to are considering not doing shows next year at current rates..  

My Toronto reports are that sales are way down.. Detroit was mixed reviews on 1st wks traffic and Sunday was game day and expected to be low. Detroit needs to consolidate this show to something like wed-sun. Vendors hate dead weekdays and hotels food and costs add up for no traffic days..

Nautique GS series I was always told it's a cross over series, kinda does everything but good at nothing infact terrible at everything boat..

I figured the S was more SURF dedicated stripped down G series.. the S's TB looked better than the G bow IMO at least they tried! It still looks squished and should be extended 2ft and it would look great 

Malibu still by far has the BEST wave for the $ hands down.. but that's still a LOT it $. It's basically one of the best but not the actual best but for the money it easily is no questions.

Amenities, quality, and other options value wise; are better or worse on other boats and brands.. Malibu is still king on wave output/dollar 

Edited by The Hulk
redrooster
11 hours ago, rennis said:

Freight prices had stabilized post-pandemic but the drought in Panama and the attacks in the Red Sea are seriously messing with these costs. 

I am talking ltl freight companies.  Yellow, convoy ...oak harbor is having staffing issues.  We went from 150 a crate to over 400 a crate in the last two years alone.  Costs are out of control.  Unfortunately layoffs and companies closing down is the only solution to this out of control spending. 

13 hours ago, The Hulk said:

rgo boat shows and are hosting in house shows bringing in food, local vendors, music, etc... If you have to sell a boat or several boats just to cover show expenses it gets crazy real quick.. everyone is riding the high of the past few years.. many I've talked to are considering not doing shows next year at current rates..  

This is what they've started doing in Atlanta....the dealers are all near the lake, so they have a fall (Oct) and a spring (March) show, but do it at a local venue on the water.   Boats are lined up filling a section of several blocked off docks.   There's live music, food trucks, all the regular local vendors, etc...  It's a shorter drive and it's outdoors which is nice assuming weather cooperates.  No idea the costs for the boat dealers....  They still have the big show at the World Congress Center, it was two weeks ago.   I did not attend.   

• Like 2
13 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

I went to the Cincinnati boat show on opening weekend.  The No Wake Marine booth had a ton of boats to check out.  They sell Nautique and Malibu, and they had everything from a 21-R to a 26 LSV.  They also had an A245 and T235 Axis, and a G22, G24, S23 and Paragon as well.  I loved the white and grey 23 LSV...they do a great job picking colors and options for their stock plan boats:

image.thumb.png.24536ed874ae68f4f1ebe24fc56734fb.png

Pontoons were overwhelming in quantity, size and power.  The Harris 28 had a sticker over $400K, boat show special of $374,900.  Twin Merc V10's on it.  I think it had a 9 or 10 ft beam as well.  Massive living room on the water that will run mid 70s+. I wanted to hate it but I could not.  Hahaha!

I really love the 10ft beams on toons! Surprisingly I saw several up in MN as well. They all had duals on them and 300-350k range.. 

Wish the wake boats would catch up on 10ft beams!

I know ppl have FOMA on trailing their 10ft wide but as the dealer in MN said.. anyone buying this or .. anyone that can afford this.. probably isn't lifting a finger or wasting their time trailering it in and out for the season.. hahaha 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, redrooster said:

I am talking ltl freight companies.  Yellow, convoy ...oak harbor is having staffing issues.  We went from 150 a crate to over 400 a crate in the last two years alone.  Costs are out of control.  Unfortunately layoffs and companies closing down is the only solution to this out of control spending. 

3PLs are all crabs in a bucket now trying to buy customers.. we've been switching about every few months between several.. they will try to gain your business by pricing it low then Jack it up so you just go to the next guy... PM me if you need a couple to check and shop around with.. I hate shipping! It requires a PHD of cat and mouse, whack a mole, convoluted matrix of schemes , gotchas, charge backs, disputes and crappy service!

May check our Detroit show tomorrow or next! Need to climb in some boats for fun! 

Edited by The Hulk

Update to my OP - when I mentioned how nice the new Axis was my wife rolled her eyes...but when I said the word "pontoons" she jumped up and proclaimed her love and how she wishes we had one.

Her goal is to hang at end of the dock and sip coffee/eat lunch - essentially a floating living room and that's exactly what tons are good for. Even if we buy a new 20' toon, still way less expensive than upgrading the surf boat.

So never thought I'd write this, but we are now researching entry level pontoons...guess boat shows can still spur demand! 

Btw, used choices are slim pickings - either catastrophic condition or snapped up real fast. But I definitely have the attention of guys selling new stuff. Everyone has inventory to show, eager to please, volunteer discounts, etc - definitely not like the past couple years. 

Will see where this goes...

One dealer said back to pre pandemic or lower currently.

Several dealers said it's terrible 

One said it's the worst in 15 years and we're back to great recession era.. what's interesting is that was for toons!!!! 

Maaaaaan that Paragon though... Luxury.. those rear loungers are sick! Slick button+ gas shocks auto raise lounge seats... there are surfboard slots that hang in the lockers they're incredibly nice and expensive looking... There is some serious plush ingenuity in that boat.. 430-450k and you even get pillows! New life goal! 

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Update to my OP - when I mentioned how nice the new Axis was my wife rolled her eyes...but when I said the word "pontoons" she jumped up and proclaimed her love and how she wishes we had one.

Her goal is to hang at end of the dock and sip coffee/eat lunch - essentially a floating living room and that's exactly what tons are good for. Even if we buy a new 20' toon, still way less expensive than upgrading the surf boat.

So never thought I'd write this, but we are now researching entry level pontoons...guess boat shows can still spur demand! 

Btw, used choices are slim pickings - either catastrophic condition or snapped up real fast. But I definitely have the attention of guys selling new stuff. Everyone has inventory to show, eager to please, volunteer discounts, etc - definitely not like the past couple years. 

Will see where this goes...

My parents picked up a Viaggio Pontoon two seasons ago and I've been very pleased with it.  I'd consider it a middle of the road boat with decent build quality.   But, for what a pontoon is and the price of it, you can scratch your head on it. 

On 1/29/2024 at 7:03 PM, The Hulk said:

Tiger has come a loooooong way!

On 1/27/2024 at 10:58 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Our show is in two weeks.  We have a solid Tige dealer here.  I am most interested in if you all have seen the Ultre up close?

I saw one a few years ago at our show in Grand Rapids, MI and it was impressive, and VERY competitive cost-wise.  I'd like to check another one out.

I have scrapped the pontoon boat pipe dream and my new pipe dream is a used houseboat.  $20k for the boat + $10k in improvements, or $30 for one that is ready to go.  $6k per year slip rental.  $4k per year storage and usage.  Got my eye on a local River Queen.

For anyone local to Grand Rapids, MI our show is 2/15 - 2/18.  The Grand City Show Skiers will be posted up in the Tommy's area, doing some demo's on Friday at 6pm and Saturday at 4pm and 6pm.  Tommy's has scaled their show area WAYYYY back this year, from what I've been told.

image.thumb.png.ef4bf0e68f9be021ad4a384cfc32142f.png

Underwhelming boat show sales & interest has now forced Godfrey & Bennington to add new emergency policy that all purchases must be signed off on from top brass, even a $1 pen from walmart needs CEO approval "as it was told". IMO its Hard to say how much this is due to current economic conditions vs how much is due to changing market dynamics including more competition. Bennington has lost quite a bit of market share to some other brands over the past 5yrs so i doubt its all from just reduced sales alone. And lets be honest the toon craze of the past 6-7yrs has brought in a ton more brands & models to this sector. 

it was interesting to hear a boat salesman who was "not happy" basically say "why wouldnt it be terrible? "We overcharged consumers the past few years, and put them in a position where they wont trade in for longer than expected and considering used market and buyers disappeared, we cant take their trade in and there are no private buyers". Essentially the majority of ppl are stuck with their boats as they are with their house."

Lift Sales continue to be "marginal at best", One of the largest brands just cleaned house on anyone that cost $. Another large outfit would currently not be open if the debt was owned by the bank. Essentially everyone in the industry is trying to stop the burn rate anyway possible to extend the runway and find a way to survive the next few years. 

Continues to be rough out there after numerous shows but there are some highlights in some markets with some brands and buyers!

HollywoodBall

Me and some friends are headed down to Miami for the boat show in 2 weeks.