Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2024 Boat Show impressions

CaptainMorgan

7 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Believe it or not those montara’s actually sell. What was the price on it? They surprisingly don’t surf terribly. Majority of the people buying them are getting out of entry level v drives, so the surf wave and technology will be an upgrade and they’re getting a huge boat. 

Pretty sure it was close to $200k. Looking online I found a 2023 for $174k. Crazy.

I find it kind of interesting the electric conversion company is running a I/O type drive. 

I would think for efficiency they would run a outboard configuration or even a Arneson. 

The upper cowling would be fairly easy to seal especially since it doesn't require an air intake.  

10 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Believe it or not those montara’s actually sell. What was the price on it? They surprisingly don’t surf terribly. Majority of the people buying them are getting out of entry level v drives, so the surf wave and technology will be an upgrade and they’re getting a huge boat. 

One of my co-workers bought one (25er) two years ago. Sold a LSV and a pontoon to get the one boat solution. They're now working on a plan to sell it and get back into a dedicated wake surf boat and a dedicated pontoon.  The Montara has too many compromises and doesn't surf well enough for them.  Clifnotes: They regret buying it. 

Edited by rennis
added length. :TWSS:
  • Like 2

Wow, that is steep. They have definitely gone up in price. I could definitely see someone dedicated to watersports regretting it unfortunately. 

12 hours ago, cowwboy said:

I find it kind of interesting the electric conversion company is running a I/O type drive. 

I would think for efficiency they would run a outboard configuration or even a Arneson. 

The upper cowling would be fairly easy to seal especially since it doesn't require an air intake.  

1000020547.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, The Hulk said:

1000020547.jpg

A corner of the show was likely the worst place for an innovative company.  If I was in their marketing department, I’d have tried for a different booth area, like anywhere else.  I see the potential but working for a vehicle OEM also see the drawbacks of EV, especially on the water.  I think it’s an interesting market segment but you wouldn’t catch me heading offshore in the Florida Keys in one quite yet.  Of course, I was on an Axopar at the local show and was shocked when the sales guy told me the AC and heat were all powered by an inverter (but he couldn’t tell me how long the batteries will keep it running).  

I’ll be interested to see if Supra can bring the EV boat to market for less than what Nautique tried, making it a more marketable product for folks that live on a lake. 

41 minutes ago, Nick55 said:

A corner of the show was likely the worst place for an innovative company.  If I was in their marketing department, I’d have tried for a different booth area, like anywhere else.

That's probably what the guy is texting to his boss....

32 minutes ago, ahopkins22LSV said:

Did anyone see this release at the Miami show? Sounds like the system is heavier than a typical fossil fuel setup but sounds like a good step forward. 

https://newatlas.com/marine/yamahas-hydrogen-outboard-boat-prototype/

Interesting.  Storing H2 is notoriously difficult since the molecules are so tiny that they can slip between the molecules of the container.  No matter what you do, you will lose some through the skin of the container.  When that leakage gets confined you have a potentially explosive condition.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:17 AM, The Hulk said:

Very very few boats anywhere have pricing.. if ya have to ask u can't afford..

A Paragon would be a peasant boat 

Awesome show lots to see and do and gawk at.. it's more of an Event IMO. 

6 locations , shuttles between locations, VIP tickets and services and ridiculously loaded people from all around the globe. It's a must do show/bucket list if ya haven't been.

From my experience at the MIA boat show - it is more put on by the OEM's vs dealers.  In turn, driving you back to your local dealer for the type of boats we are buying.  Similar to the Detroit auto show.

13 hours ago, The Hulk said:

1000020547.jpg

That one makes a bit more sense. Without the limitations of orientation or size of a internal combustion, I would figure they would aim for more efficient power deliver paths.  

3 hours ago, Nick55 said:

A corner of the show was likely the worst place for an innovative company.  If I was in their marketing department, I’d have tried for a different booth area, like anywhere else.  I see the potential but working for a vehicle OEM also see the drawbacks of EV, especially on the water.  I think it’s an interesting market segment but you wouldn’t catch me heading offshore in the Florida Keys in one quite yet.  Of course, I was on an Axopar at the local show and was shocked when the sales guy told me the AC and heat were all powered by an inverter (but he couldn’t tell me how long the batteries will keep it running).  

I’ll be interested to see if Supra can bring the EV boat to market for less than what Nautique tried, making it a more marketable product for folks that live on a lake. 

I'm likely going to be exiting wakeboats after 8 boats and 20 years (mostly Malibu).  Likely going Axopar for the multi-season capability, efficiency and performance.  I see AC as shorepower luxury and the diesel heater is perfect otherwise.  I can always open the doors/top to cool off but harder to escape the cold in mid-atlantic.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Interesting.  Storing H2 is notoriously difficult since the molecules are so tiny that they can slip between the molecules of the container.  No matter what you do, you will lose some through the skin of the container.  When that leakage gets confined you have a potentially explosive condition.

Yep, H2 is a long ways away from being commercially viable in mass for road vehicles, I can't imagine how much further away getting it to the water would be for small outboards.    

I could go on for a while on the H2 market place, but that is probably for another thread.  

spacer.png

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

I'm likely going to be exiting wakeboats after 8 boats and 20 years (mostly Malibu).  Likely going Axopar for the multi-season capability, efficiency and performance.  I see AC as shorepower luxury and the diesel heater is perfect otherwise.  I can always open the doors/top to cool off but harder to escape the cold in mid-atlantic.

wow, that Axopar rabbit hole goes deep.  Since when did BRABUS get into boats!?  this makes Pavati look wholesome:  https://www.brabus.com/en-int/boats/brabusmarine.html

Edited by rennis
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, rennis said:

spacer.png

wow, that Axopar rabbit hole goes deep.  Since when did BRABUS get into boats!?  this makes Pavati look wholesome:  https://www.brabus.com/en-int/boats/brabusmarine.html

I walked around one at the KC show.  Cool boat, but I'm not sure where it fits in the market.    The small enclosed cabin is good for a couple, but not large enough to entertain like on a day boat.  And the below deck areas could work as a liveaboard, but also not as spacious as some of the larger cruiser cabins.   

48 minutes ago, rennis said:

Yep .. A 37' boat that can run 65 in rough seas, cruise close to 50 knots with low (efficient) burn rate.  Brabus 'touches' can be add for fairly cheap but they are mainly astetics .. the shadow is another level with Mercury R's (not overly practical).

32 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I walked around one at the KC show.  Cool boat, but I'm not sure where it fits in the market.    The small enclosed cabin is good for a couple, but not large enough to entertain like on a day boat.  And the below deck areas could work as a liveaboard, but also not as spacious as some of the larger cruiser cabins.   

In KC, you likely only saw the 28 and agree .. it is too tight for me.  The 37 (and 45) is where it makes sense and being coastal makes way more sense than land locked.  On the ICW you can take a 37' down to key west pretty easily with its performance.  IMO

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Yep .. A 37' boat that can run 65 in rough seas, cruise close to 50 knots with low (efficient) burn rate.  Brabus 'touches' can be add for fairly cheap but they are mainly astetics .. the shadow is another level with Mercury R's (not overly practical).

In KC, you likely only saw the 28 and agree .. it is too tight for me.  The 37 (and 45) is where it makes sense and being coastal makes way more sense than land locked.  On the ICW you can take a 37' down to key west pretty easily with its performance.  IMO

In Chicago they had a Brabus 28 and the 37.  I got to aboard the 37 as the 28 just had no purpose to me but I could tell they were very particular about who they let do that.  Like you said,  I struggled to see the use case for it aside from maybe a (really) nice yacht tender.    Fit and finish was phenomenal though, and I like the ability for rough seas (Lake Michigan can be nasty for even 50 footers).  But even the 37 left me wanting more for staying aboard.  I can guarantee my wife will not be excited about it. They did offer to show me a 45 sometime this summer, but for that money, I’ll look at a used Sunseeker Predator.  

Brabus isn’t known for making crap, so I would fully expect they wouldn’t put their name on something that didn’t meet their expectations, even if the looks are an acquired taste. 

The Axopar boats have become popular in Vancouver. Perfect boat to explore the area all months of the year with the enclosed cabin. Go watch some videos of it cruising through chop, very impressive for a smaller and narrow boat. Also for what you are getting they aren't stupid priced either. For someone who just wants to hang out with a bunch of people this isn't the boat for them but to go somewhere further with a smaller group and not worry about conditions this is perfect. 

4 hours ago, pauley71 said:

They had the 37 Cross Cabin in KC I think.   The Lake of the Ozarks really caters to ocean going vessels at this point :crazy:.   I didn't mean to offend anyone and see now the use case.  I love the lines on it and was excited to jump aboard, then just was underwhelmed by the space.  I wasn't considering fuel usage, cost, etc. though.   Just a casual observer, although the wife and I do keep on eye on these things for a Great Loop boat at some point down the line.   

10 hours ago, justgary said:

That's probably what the guy is texting to his boss....

It was dead.. and I mean deeeeaaaad in that room.. rest of show was tons and tons of ppl.. side room hard to find and not well marked from main room.. I'd bet 5% of attendance saw

Edited by The Hulk

172k additional hmmm 

Actuator Tower is only two stages on the G series and you can get it on the S series now as well..

The Paragon has a three-stage mast actuator Tower.. does have quite a few bells and whistles internally.. it's super plush! But +172k.. yikes..

The Paragon has an optional additional ballast of five sub tanks extra or maybe it's two more than the standard three I forget seems kind of weird it's not just all options...

1000020726.jpg

1000020728.jpg