Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 M5/M6 air filters

I clean my air filter annually which normally entails just combing out my wife’s hair because it doesn’t really get “dirty”. The OM says “replace after 2 years”. It appears to be a black cloth KN type filter. No where does it mention, at least anywhere I can find to clean and re-oil like a KN. Does anyone know for sure if it is a clean and re-oil type filter. I would hate to clean re-oil it and end up fouling the intake system somehow. TIA

Edited by wdr
Sp

Thanks. So, no replace it every 2 years. I was expecting a 5/16” clamp also. But like a couple other items on this boat it has an oddball 9/32” clamp instead.

I haven't closely inspected my air filter yet on my new-to-me 2022, but if it is a K&N, you should be able to get a recharge kit and simply clean it.  I've got a K&N filter set-up on my 67 Restomod and clean it once a year.  Not sure why you'd throw away a $200+ filter if it can simply be cleaned and re-used.  K&N always said these are "million mile filters" so I would expect it to last as long as the engine, LOL.

They do make two colors of oil (black and red) but I don't think the properties/applications are different, more for the visual/look on an exposed filter.  I always used the red aerosol oil spray (they make a squeeze bottle version as well).  You don't need to go crazy with the oil, just enough to "stain" the cotton with color.

Filter cleaning instructions here:  https://kandn.com/instructions/18627C_inst.pdf

I have the red recharge kit and have used them for years on my other vehicle's. Even though the filter is stamped “prototype” on the inside it screams KN. I will probably clean and oil this one and run it for a bit and go from there. 

• Like 2

Would be great if you could post results after you clean/oil and run it.  I’m in the same boat with my filter and plan to clean/oil it come spring time 

Will do. I haven’t installed it yet since re-oiling it. I will get some preinstallation  shots of the filter and throttle body throat for a comparison after the first run. If it is going to foul anything it should do it during the initial startup and run.