Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SUB Speaker Replacement

pawter1970

Hi Crew,

Need to replace my Sub speaker (Fosgate 12" M2) in my 2013 22MXZ, was quoted $1800 by the dealer and would really like to not spend that much, wondering if anyone would have any suggestions, there is a lot of 12" sub options online but want to be sure I get the correct fit. Thank you Crew.

Might want to be looking at marine subs.  Don't know where or how you boat, but if it's going to be wet, you might want to spend the extra money for one intended for "moist" environments.

My first question is, why does it need to be replaced? 

2nd, what was that $1800 for? Thats not out of line for a quality woofer, amp, custom enclosure and labor. 

One thing I recall about the MXZ is that Bu installed the heavy R/F woofer through the plastic foot-well insert and ran it infinite-baffle. If you want at least a decent setup, you need to build a proper enclosure for a proper woofer. 

As to a brand, I have my fav's, but the design and execution are far more important. The best woofer is the one done right.   

$1800 quoted is for the SUB speaker only, an audio teck person confirmed the SUB speaker (ONLY the speaker) is defective, so looking at replacing ONLY the SUB speaker. Already have the casing for it. Just hoping someone has a suggestion for a replacement SUB speaker tht wouldn't cost me $1800, yes  a marine model would be best. 

DRB10SEVEN

You could replace the sub yourself for less than $600. You will need to know which M2 sub it is, as there are about 6 different options as far as color, voice coil setup (dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm), and if it is an infinite baffle sub. Find the part number off the old one and go online and buy a new one.

If you want to upgrade your setup, that is when you will need to be looking into enclosures/what amp you have/wattage/etc. If you are happy with what you have, just throw another sub in and enjoy.

Unless I am missing something, the M2 subs ARE the marine line of subs from Rockford. They are decent subs, so don't lose sleep over that.

Holy blown woofers batman! Even the best and most expensive (that I know of) woofer doesnt cost $1800! I'd love to see that estimate in writing. 

Dont know what a "casing" is, but to even begin to choose the proper woofer, you need to know if there is a proper enclosure or if the helm cavity is acting as the woofer's enclosure. The MXZ's ive see from that time, had no built enclosure and the woofer was running infinite-baffle and helm was the enclosure. The issue with IB on an MXZ, as I recall, was the plastic footwell insert was not rigid enough to properly support an IB woofer. 

The woofer is likely wired bridged to a 2 channel amp and its output is 300W rms x 1 to a 4 ohm woofer. The OEM woofer would have been a Rockford Fosgate 4 ohm single voice coil marine woofer. Not an M2, they've only been out a couple years now. I think it was a PM212S4B. It was designed for a small enclosure, most ideal in a sealed enclosure. 

10 minutes ago, MLA said:

PM212S4B

MLA, yup that's exactly the one that's currently in the boat. An it is held by the plastic footwell.

https://us.amazon.com/Rockford-PM212S4B-12-Inch-Marine-Subwoofer/dp/B00WTMXMJ8

The M2 Infinite Baffle info i got was from the dealer. And yes they quoted me just under $1800 CDN to order a new one from Malibu. So I should look for the details you suggested; 12" 4 ohm coil marine woofer. 

That is great information, really appreciate it, thank you. 

If you are going to do just a direct woofer swap, then you will want one that is specifically for infinite-baffle/free-air. 

You will want one thats either a single 4 ohm voice coil or on thats a 2 ohm dual voice coil. Either of those will present the proper load to the amp. 

I would not worry much about the woofer's RMS/Peak wattage ratings. The amp can be dialed back of the new woofer has a lower RMS rating and a woofer with a higher RMS than the amp will be just fine. 

Beyond that, there is nothing you need from a Malibu dealer. You dont need the OEM woofer whether its the original PM or the current OEM offering and it does not take a boat mechanic to change it out. 

3 hours ago, MLA said:

If you are going to do just a direct woofer swap, then you will want one that is specifically for infinite-baffle/free-air. 

You will want one thats either a single 4 ohm voice coil or on thats a 2 ohm dual voice coil. Either of those will present the proper load to the amp. 

I would not worry much about the woofer's RMS/Peak wattage ratings. The amp can be dialed back of the new woofer has a lower RMS rating and a woofer with a higher RMS than the amp will be just fine. 

Beyond that, there is nothing you need from a Malibu dealer. You dont need the OEM woofer whether its the original PM or the current OEM offering and it does not take a boat mechanic to change it out. 

Would this do the trick?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296147764198?hash=item44f3c843e6:g:ZIcAAOSwLD1ll~CI&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8PidKjab%2BufM%2B4YaP3XM1nr34goZdt7hAKfllU3PsadUDJjiG5BjJm9FEgnJrMJxRQOpJQBnhv%2F4JD4IRF4Ljn0HmBOMejdOg5ecKdBxkuQqmpXPybcn7VVkuFB0Tnh2HIRDDQSP5%2BDPeFqSLb3QnVNq96YBFvqyfdc7eNxQB8dQO%2BClJyI2r4XpJlOjWYLkh16pEPOMqiJ5ugaNMyhVDLJFbDsJGv%2ByQbyMtQqELGT8XqnGfyB2vbLBAtRTqglbQltQbIerP2gPMaUoz58kILnhnQr6xHbeZSPcHBwxlt%2B3OrH3KwrSLntJ6RX62OIRhg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM3NjfxaJj

Quick look, that series does not come in an IB version. So it would not be ideal to use as it lacks the internal suspension that a true IB woofer has.